KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

bump...
Old 09-12-2010, 08:24 AM
BonesZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
people often confuse "I can't afford it" with "it's not worth it" (or the former as justifcation for the latter)

nothing is wrong with "I can't afford it" btw - it's just a fact of life
i think its just a fact of common sense actually.. when you get get used turbo kits for around 2500$ these days, buying 1700$ headers for 20whp gains (benifit of the doubt) plus a said needed matching intake and cams for bringing the potential out of the longtubes, its kind of a no brainer. If people could afford throwing away almost 2k on a set of 20whp headers, than they probably wouldn't be owning a 350z in the first place.

BTW.. had megan long tubes installed on my 2003 Z, and I can tell you they are one of the best header/test pipes out there performance wise.. I don't have before or after dyno sheets for my setup... BUt as you can see in my signature, my 1/4 mile times do not lie, I have since been to the track and changed my longtubes to dcsports/topseed test pipes do to the sound, and have run about a half second slower in the 1/4 mile... The long tubes give a lot of up top power..

Conclusion, longtube headers are buttdyno approved.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see that as a congurous comparison, but to each his own

A used turbo kit is just that - used. It may/may not be complete, it may/may not last and you may/may not even ever get it. All too often that $2500 used kit turns into a $4k or $5k + nightmare. Others may be more fortunate, but it's still a gamble. It also will compromise engine life far more than a set of headers will. It all comes down to what a customer wants. These are not inexpensive parts because they use pricey materials, are made in North America, not mass produced, and assembled by hand by a skilled craftsperson. It's a completely different animal to an ebay/knock off brand scenario. The customer who wants an all out NA setup may not even have FI on his radar. It depends on the goals. I don't personally car that my car could have 500whp for the $ I spent going NA. The end power figure is not important to me in the grand scheme of things, I just wanted a more balanced machine that I didn't have to baby and that I didn't really need to worry about (in contrast to the FI cars I own/have built for myself in the past). Others may want something different from their projects
Old 09-12-2010, 12:04 PM
stock07g35s

If a 75% effective cheap *** header allows you to afford 3 more 75% effective performance parts, the overall effect is more power than someone who blew 1500 dollars on one part. If horsepower is return on investment, with research, sometimes the riskier low dollar option has more yield.

Last edited by stock07g35s; 09-12-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

That would be totally dependant on the cars particular setup. Not to mention you are assuming it's whatever % as effective. I prefer not to assume such things because I don't see how such an assumption benefits anyone. The fact of the matter is a header like SGM and one like Megan, are worlds apart in all aspects and so are their intended customers.

As for 1/4 mile times your mph is not indicative of anything spectacular in all honesty. People without headers at all have trounced that mph on non revup de's.

a long parts list is no guarantee of results, a carefully chosen path is.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 09-12-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:38 PM
BonesZ33

well the fact that i only have a pop charger, kinetix V+ plenum and y back exhaust and no tune, with street tires. Is very impressive. Like i said, I switched back to shorty headers and test pipes and lost .5 second in the quarter mile, and about 1.5mph in the trap speed. Proof that Megan longubes> shorty/testpipe

btw i don't know what connection you have with the SGM company, but you can keep promoting the overpriced bunch of pipes that are worth 20whp, and i'll continue to stand my ground that my opinion is that they are overpriced.. Even with doing an N/A race build.. 1700$ can go towards more productive improvements. BTW those claimed horsepower gains are not even over a stock platform, they are gains that have been paired with a cams as well as a tune. Somebody who wants to fully benifit from these headers and have a full n/a 300+HP build could easily take the same amount of money invested in a full n/a build and have a reliable 500whp turbo build. Fact is, the VQ is not a V8.. its potential for its n/a capabillities are limited.. so lets not blind ourselves.

Last edited by BonesZ33; 09-12-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:35 PM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I gotta agree with Adam. It all depends on what your individual goal is. I don't mind spending as much money as an FI guy to end up with half the HP, because my goal is to have a balanced NA vehicle. At the same time, I totally respect my friends who drive FI Z's that could smoke me in a straight line. To each his own. BTW, if I knew those SGM's would fit my HR, I'd get rid of my Tomei's and buy 'em in a heart beat.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:41 PM
stock07g35s

I will be absolutely satisfied if my long tube headers give me a 1/2 second just from stock. I am waiting for the warranty to expire. 7000 miles to go.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Rubidium

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blue350zed
BTW, if I knew those SGM's would fit my HR, I'd get rid of my Tomei's and buy 'em in a heart beat.
and sell me those Tomei's .......sounds like a good idea!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BonesZ33
well the fact that i only have a pop charger, kinetix V+ plenum and y back exhaust and no tune, with street tires. Is very impressive. Like i said, I switched back to shorty headers and test pipes and lost .5 second in the quarter mile, and about 1.5mph in the trap speed. Proof that Megan longubes> shorty/testpipe

btw i don't know what connection you have with the SGM company, but you can keep promoting the overpriced bunch of pipes that are worth 20whp, and i'll continue to stand my ground that my opinion is that they are overpriced.. Even with doing an N/A race build.. 1700$ can go towards more productive improvements. BTW those claimed horsepower gains are not even over a stock platform, they are gains that have been paired with a cams as well as a tune. Somebody who wants to fully benifit from these headers and have a full n/a 300+HP build could easily take the same amount of money invested in a full n/a build and have a reliable 500whp turbo build. Fact is, the VQ is not a V8.. its potential for its n/a capabillities are limited.. so lets not blind ourselves.
I have zero connection with SGM. I've never even met anyone from there, and we don't sell each others parts. I just know (first hand, not based on opinion) what is involved in developing a part to the level that they have, both from a time and cost perspective. As such, I respect the efforts and applaud anyone who takes the time to do things right, without compromise, even if it means leaving money on the table by not courting the masses. They are not a product for everyone, but for those cars that actually deserve a real long tube header, they are more than fairly priced. I had priced doing a set for my own car a couple years back, from a worldwide known firm that does such projects, and they were to be more expensive than the SGM's. That company was located in our backyard and now is in North Carolina. I ended up not doing it, because for my current setup, my setup happens to work well. Not to mention my current headers are actually longer than the SGM's (though SGM's design would have been tons easier to install, and would lead to lower underhood temps). If I ever get to the point where I decide to tear into my engine again (to do new cams) then I will likely re-examine doing a custom set as I don't think my current headers are sized appropriately.

When you are doing a real NA 'race' build, $1700 headers are not on the expensive side of the coin. Again, I know the real costs involved in such builds, because I have been around the block more than once. We're talking the world of $25,000 long blocks (no ancillaries), expensive datalogging equipment, not just slapping a set of pistons and rods in a car and calling it "built". It simply is a much different level than anyone here is involved in. No compromises. Again, the difference between expensive and overpriced is in the eye (or wallet) of the beholder. I've been fortunate in my time in the industry to be around some really impressive stuff. I've been in the pits at various events over the years and some of the stuff I've seen/overheard in terms of parts, cost, etc is mind blowing. We're talking one make series where the cost to run 1 season would fund my retirement (I'm 36, so that would be a long time of not working!) But I know it's a different circle than I travel in, so what is big time, serious $ to me is not necessarily overpriced to those actually involved. To those guys, dropping a few million to travel around North America racing their car for fun is just what they do...it's the price of admission. I remember being at F1 a few years back in Montreal, during one of the pre-race events (Ferrari Challenge). A good friend of mine is the head tech for one of the teams, and he was telling me the night before, Ferrari had mandated each time buy a new muffler, that had to be overnighted in, in time for the race. If you didn't get it, you didn't run the event. I think it was a noise thing, but don't quite remember the reasoning. The cost was in the $3500 range...for just a muffler! Yes, expensive. But I can't say it's overpriced, because I can't afford the car it's going on, let alone to be able to afford to build and campaign one racing.

I am not blind at all...read my previous statement specifically about FI in this thread, and even in my own build thread. Just because 500whp would have been possible for me for the same outlay of money, doesn't mean I want it. An FI build was not what I wanted for my own personal project. We have tons of customers who chose that route for themselves and I certainly see the appeal. Everyone has their own reasons for the project path they choose to take.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 09-13-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:49 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

So I pm the op for more pics and info he hasn't hit me back...

Cause if alittle fab work is required for some long tube headers...

Question is...why not?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:47 PM
stock07g35s

I am the op. I'll post pictures of the ones I have soon. Again, I am not putting these on til the warranty drops.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:27 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

lol...

whens that?

i just wanted to know exactly where the contact is?

with pics if possible...
Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Nizmo0395

Originally Posted by stock07g35s
I am the op. I'll post pictures of the ones I have soon. Again, I am not putting these on til the warranty drops.
Emissions warranty is 5/50k mi. so when in 07 did you buy your car, or how many mi's do you have on your car?

How many 350z on the road are running the streets with a RACE build?

Some statements about spending more to get less power makes no sense! If the part works whats the difference in were it came from or what name is on it. Thats what patents are for. A fool and his money is soon departed.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Nizmo0395

Pictures of r/side obx long tube hitting frame, marked in red.Black circle on header. Other problems with install, o2 sensor located lower have to move wiring harnes to connect o2 sensor. Hit heat shield for fuel pressure return line and tank vapor line. From all the header or any of the other aftermarket parts i've put on over the years, rarely do you get everything to bolt up perfectly, theres always something!!!
Attached Thumbnails Long Tube Headers.-2011-exhaust-025.jpg   Long Tube Headers.-2011-exhaust-027.jpg