Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

GTM Supercharged for HR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:36 AM
hellsoldiers08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so any idea when we will be seeing some numbers??
Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 AM
mistanismo

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
The whole "turn-key" kit idea is just a cheap way to go F/I. Yea, the car will run but for how long? IMO cheap + F/I don't go together in the same sentence. Going F/I the right way isn't cheap. I'm all for a S/C tuner kit though.
Says who?

A turn key solution is fine assuming you're getting the components installed by a competent agent and tuned correctly.

Who says because you build the block etc your car is going to run longer? As a general rule of thumb of course it will, but the duration/frequency in which you are in boost is a huge factor.

You want to drive it like you stole it everytime you take it for a cruise? Cooling and a built block is a must. Everything about the HR minus the pistons is considered to be immensely superior to the DE in regards to potential to hold and withstand 400whp.

The SC in stage one, assuming it lands at the benchmark projection of 420WHP should be FINE as the *maximum* output for anyone who doesn't drive it like they stole it... I don't know about any of you, but i am seriously considering this kit... and my other car is boosted.. I rarely enter boost, except for the few times when I am merging etc or when I'm going on it, which is maybe a few times per month. I never exceed 5-6k either, ever.

You are really going to tell me I should redo the eng, oil components, rad etc if I probably will never push this kit to the max but am simply looking for a little extra fun with my toy a few days a month during the summer, which is the only season in which I drive it?

It all depends on how you drive, how frequently, whether or not you track etc...

Now, 5k is just the starting cost. Everyone should get it pro-installed unless you're pretty gifted and obviously tuned. Oil cooling/catch can would be a good idea, as well as the appropriate guages / EMS... beyond that however, I think at 420WHP... you're going to be relatively alright if you arn't beating the **** out of it.

You want to get on it hardcore? Build the block completely? Chances are you've got the cash to do GTM twins and that would probably be a better option anyways if you're that concerned about higher power levels... right?

Goals. Use. integral in decision making.

I'd wager though, if you go about this the way even I have suggested... you're looking at at least 8.5k installed/tuned and with the aformentioned. And this is with the pre-order price.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 AM
phataus

Ohh I know, with the tune,if you don't want to or cant install, it will be at least a grand or 2 more. I was mainly saying 5k for the kit itself isn't bad to me at least
Old 03-29-2010, 11:18 AM
dirtbikr

it is turn key minus the tune. Of course you get it tuned afterward to get everything perfect, and their flash will get you there. My tuner charges 250 for tuning and has never done a bad job for me. So tack that on and you're still dirt cheap. Install doesn't look like anything to be feared either.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:46 AM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by mistanismo
I rarely enter boost, except for the few times when I am merging etc or when I'm going on it, which is maybe a few times per month. I never exceed 5-6k either, ever.
then whats the point? whats the point of blowing all that money for a minute or 2 a month?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:06 PM
phataus

yeah i hate when you see car's that are "ment" to be pushed and/or they are clearly boosted or sc and they never push it. In my opinion if your going to buy a car like that or spend a lot of money to boost it and rarely push it, then why bother. Not trying to get this thread off topic, so please continue on with this sweet SC thread for our HR's.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 PM
GodSendsDeath

Man I am spending some cash now on my car, and once this kit hits the streets and I see there are few happy campers out there I am on board lol. I am sorry but 420whp DD Z is a dream come true, and thus I be able to hold of on buying a new faster ride for a while.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:44 PM
MDHRZ

A turn key solution is fine assuming you're getting the components installed by a competent agent and tuned correctly.
Then that defeats the purpose of the turn key solution. The tune is aleady included and most people who buy this kit will try to install it themselves.

Who says because you build the block etc your car is going to run longer? As a general rule of thumb of course it will, but the duration/frequency in which you are in boost is a huge factor.
I never mentioned anywhere in this thread about building the block. Your general rule of thumb is also incorrect. Ask Alberto how the chit worked out for him.

built block is a must.
Not true.

I rarely enter boost, except for the few times when I am merging etc or when I'm going on it, which is maybe a few times per month. I never exceed 5-6k either, ever.
Then you wasted your money.

You are really going to tell me I should redo the eng, oil components, rad etc if I probably will never push this kit to the max but am simply looking for a little extra fun with my toy a few days a month during the summer, which is the only season in which I drive it?
I never told you any of that.

Now, 5k is just the starting cost. Everyone should get it pro-installed unless you're pretty gifted and obviously tuned. Oil cooling/catch can would be a good idea, as well as the appropriate guages / EMS... beyond that however, I think at 420WHP... you're going to be relatively alright if you arn't beating the **** out of it.
3000-3500 for install and tune. You are up to 8000-8500 so far. Keep going...

Last edited by MDHRZ; 03-29-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Lakeside

I would most likely install the kit myself and trailer the car down to Performance Motorsports in L.I for tuning. This would help reduce costs significantly.

I only drive my car 4 kmi a year and I would blow the cash for the added adrenaline rush! For me, my nismo is just the occasional weekend toy for sunny days. I am pretty damn happy with my Mods and gears now! I can only imagine how sick it would be boosted. But I won't jump the gun and do it half assed. This decision doesn't come lightly.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM
PennywiseG35S

Install it yourself, it doesn't look that difficult. If you have any mechanical skills at all it should not be a problem.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:17 PM
thehoodz

I'm interested to see if this will work well on an auto. My Z being a DD and not wanting to go TT makes a single turbo/SC a good idea for me.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:18 PM
carlili4190

Originally Posted by thehoodz
I'm interested to see if this will work well on an auto. My Z being a DD and not wanting to go TT makes a single turbo/SC a good idea for me.
Me to! Im in the exact same boat as you
Old 03-29-2010, 03:25 PM
mistanismo

Then that defeats the purpose of the turn key solution. The tune is aleady included and most people who buy this kit will try to install it themselves.

fair enough. I'm not going to argue that one, although I know several people who got that tune touched up.

I never mentioned anywhere in this thread about building the block. Your general rule of thumb is also incorrect. Ask Alberto how the chit worked out for him.

Then kindly explain what you were alluding to? I never said anything but building the block would be overkill pending driving purposes on the HR. Actually, I think it's pretty correct in DE history, but i'm not going to troll the forum for hours and compile statistics.

Alberto is a horror story, and not a common one... and we don't know the capabilities of the HR etc... so that's a moot point in this thread.

Not true.

circular argument taken out of context and reference to a single sentence as part of a larger structured thought.

a built block is a must for longevity in the activities most hardcore FI users undertake. hence the hardon for building the block, and why anyone who doesn't do it is labelled retarded?

Then you wasted your money.

Did I? I didn't do the installs, upgrade the turbo or anything etc. I bought the car in that condition, I simply do not see the need to street race. I may track the car this coming summer, I have only owned it for 6 months.

I really don't know what the hell kind of driving you do on the streets or what you pay in insurance, but if I enter boost at lowest around 3k in any gear, lets say second, what am I doing aside from a) having fun b) merging fast c) on ramp or perhaps d) simply loving the sound... where I live is heavily police patrolled, anything 50km above the speed limit gets your car impounded for at least a week plus a mandatory license suspension.

No thanks, i'll save it for the track if I choose to utilize it in urban areas.

Did I waste my money? It's a matter of personal opinion, I enjoy the periods and the purchase is justified in my mind. Just as spending 8-9k for this on my 350 would be, *for me*. It's not going to be a beast by any means @ 420whp but it would be fun for certain circumstances.

I never told you any of that.

then explain your thoughts more so in depth? I'm pretty sure that's the typical FI route you were alluding to.

3000-3500 for install and tune. You are up to 8000-8500 so far.
Keep going...

No idea what you pay for a SC installation or a tune, but there's no way the shop I go to would charge that, and it's quite reputable. tuning is 300$ canadian... so not really.
Responses in bold.

At any rate, it's a subjective decision... It just annoys me when people take a few bad experiances and allow them to think going FI is going to cost 10k+ EASY to 'do it right' for WHP around the 400 mark lol.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:20 PM
uglyduc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am wondering what fueling options/upgrades will be suggested.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:07 PM
brady

The whole "turn-key" kit idea is just a cheap way to go F/I. Yea, the car will run but for how long? IMO cheap + F/I don't go together in the same sentence. Going F/I the right way isn't cheap. I'm all for a S/C tuner kit though.
Dodge srt4
Old 03-30-2010, 02:40 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by brady
Dodge srt4
that doesnt even make sense it is a factory production vehicle and not taking a factory n/a car and boosting it cheaply and in no way pertains to this thread, the statement he said is completely true that if you are going to do it then do it right and not cheaply...wow that truly was a real retarded statement get a clue..

if someone is going to boost their car and plan to run off a random flash that is the same for every car then good luck...if u go F/I on a factory n/a car the tune is the most important thing next to a proper install, why the hell would you spend the money to boost the car and not get a proper dyno tune for your car and why the hell would you boost your car to not drive it how it should be driven..some people are so damn stupid and are dreamers and have no idea what it takes to go F/I or how to go about it

Last edited by tylerxfire; 03-30-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:49 PM
brady

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
that doesnt even make sense it is a factory production vehicle and not taking a factory n/a car and boosting it cheaply and in no way pertains to this thread, the statement he said is completely true that if you are going to do it then do it right and not cheaply...wow that truly was a real retarded statement get a clue..

if someone is going to boost their car and run off a random flash that is the same for every car then good luck...if u go F/I on a factory n/a car the tune is the most important thing next to a proper install, why the hell would you spend the money to boost the car and not get a proper tune for your car and why the hell would you boost your car to not drive it how it should be driven..some people are so damn stupid and are dreamers and have no idea what it takes to go F/I or how to go about it
I'm assuming you're day is going well...

Anyway, it was ment as a joke, cheap and F/I (get it?). As far as a clue, I've been around the block with respect to F/I. Spent more then a few coins on building and breaking a number of NA cars. Now that I'm older I see the humor in life. Calling others stupid must make you smart. Right?

Nothing personal.

Back on track. I can't wait for this kit to come out.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:26 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by brady
I'm assuming you're day is going well...

Anyway, it was ment as a joke, cheap and F/I (get it?). As far as a clue, I've been around the block with respect to F/I. Spent more then a few coins on building and breaking a number of NA cars. Now that I'm older I see the humor in life. Calling others stupid must make you smart. Right?

Nothing personal.

Back on track. I can't wait for this kit to come out.

first part of my post was toward you and i see the humor while second part of my post pertains to others here commenting that have no clue and are dreamers that think they have an idea of what it takes who should be reading and not commenting on anything at all especially something they know nothing about
Old 03-30-2010, 03:36 PM
brady

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
first part of my post was toward you and i see the humor while second part of my post pertains to others here commenting that have no clue and are dreamers that think they have an idea of what it takes who should be reading and not commenting on anything at all especially something they know nothing about
Ahh, I apologize. I took it the wrong way. Maybe it's I that had the "good day"...

I agree with you tylerxfire. Very much so.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Lakeside

Man I had a shitty 14 hr day but I digress...

Quick Reply: GTM Supercharged for HR?