VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Got my HR Dyno'd (bolt-on) 5AT

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Manjot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got my HR Dyno'd (bolt-on) 5AT

Hey guys,
I had my 5AT dyno'd a while back and the results are below. The mods include injen intakes, stillen headers, stillen HFCs, and a bassani exhaust. A tune will be coming soon!
Attached Thumbnails Got my HR Dyno'd (bolt-on) 5AT-1.jpg   Got my HR Dyno'd (bolt-on) 5AT-2.jpg   Got my HR Dyno'd (bolt-on) 5AT-3.jpg   Got my HR Dyno'd (bolt-on) 5AT-4.jpg   Got my HR Dyno'd (bolt-on) 5AT-6.jpg  

Last edited by Manjot; 05-15-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Oh yeah, for those of you lurking the forum take my advice 6mt FTW!
The following users liked this post:
crash and burn (09-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2010, 11:22 AM
quidproquo
Need a Tune!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you'll feel better after a nice tune to tie everything together.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:32 AM
GodSendsDeath

Lets hope so because that is some sad stuff there a lot of $$$
Old 03-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Manjot

I hope so guys. Another thing is that ever since I got the headers+intakes installed my tach has been acting really strange. Each time I get close to redline and the car shifts, the tach starts to bounce around as if it's confused what's going on. I'm not sure if it's due to the parts or a faulty tach, but I'll make a video and post it up because it's hard to explain.
I forgot to mention that the blue line is with the bassani exhaust and redline (final) is after intakes, headers, and hfcs.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:00 PM
quidproquo
Need a Tune!!!

Wait, I thought I was looking at a DynoDynamics graph. That's a DynoJet isn't it? There's gotta be something wrong with that dyno!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Manjot

Originally Posted by quidproquo
Wait, I thought I was looking at a DynoDynamics graph. That's a DynoJet isn't it? There's gotta be something wrong with that dyno!!!
Yeah it's a DynoJet.

Last edited by Manjot; 05-15-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:34 PM
bottlefedZ

I made the mistake of not wrapping my headers aswell.And yes headers+hfc=rasp.Get yourself a valvebody upgrade for your tranny,best mod for us 5at guys.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:41 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Headers are either loved or hated. Little middle ground. I believe you will appreciate headers AFTER a tune.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 PM
singh

yaar this is exactly why stopped modding the z as soon as I got my exhaust. I thought about other bolt-ons but then I realized you pay a lot for bolt-ons/installation and you get little in return..

and yea the heat soaking into the car must be annoying. I got my Berk cats installed and never had any problems until I got to the drag strip haha. My brother was like turn the heat off! I was like it is off, the heat is coming from the cats!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:37 PM
johnwigs

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

header wrap voids warranty cause it locks moisture onto the metal... its best to get them coated... last longer and increases flow
Old 03-06-2010, 08:07 PM
bottlefedZ

^^intresting.....did not know that, but how does coating them increase flow?
Old 03-06-2010, 08:28 PM
johnwigs

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

smoother and keeps the heat in... air wants to go from hot to cold naturaly... that is why we have wind... equator get hot and air want to go cold... well release heat... exhaust gasses when in a well "tuned header" pulsate and create a vacuum to pull the next cycle of exhaust gasses out of the cylinder. changing primary tube length or diameter changes where peak power is made in an engine. now to the coating coating keeps the heat inside of the primary tubes increasing the efficiancy of the header... plus if your header is scalloped then it makes it smoother. mandrel bent is the way to go
The following users liked this post:
PP08HR (07-28-2015)
Old 03-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Manjot

Originally Posted by singh
yaar this is exactly why stopped modding the z as soon as I got my exhaust. I thought about other bolt-ons but then I realized you pay a lot for bolt-ons/installation and you get little in return..

and yea the heat soaking into the car must be annoying. I got my Berk cats installed and never had any problems until I got to the drag strip haha. My brother was like turn the heat off! I was like it is off, the heat is coming from the cats!
yup!

Last edited by Manjot; 05-15-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:16 AM
wolfman13

i have and 06 5AT. i installed headers before anything else. i could notice power gains but there was no extra noise. I however did notice a little extra heat under the hood. I didnt get a rasp until i installed the resonated test pipes. After experimenting with many exhaust combos, i finally found something i like. It goes as follows. Megan racing headers and resonated test pipes, stock y-pipe, shock mid-pipe with resonator (cause it's a straight through design anyway) and a magnaflow muffler with 2 4" resonated tips. It sounds great with no rasp at all. I'll try to post a sound clip if i can figure it out.

I recently invested in an aftermarket carbon fiber vented hood (because of excessive heat) That seems to work pretty well to vent heat.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:28 AM
baspence

sorry you're not happy man, I was thinking about headers and the new stillen intakes and see if I could break 300whp on a cool day. I was trying to decide what if any difference it would make. you're dyno numbers are about what mine was before a tune and I picked up just over 10 to the wheels. I swear the people making 300+ whp for the bolt-ons you have are just going the the "right" dyno. I guarantee you're making power though man, after a tune you should pick up a good bit.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:31 AM
wolfman13

Oh yes and as far as intakes go. Mine of course is an 06 with the single intake. But i have found a drop in k&n filter to be best. The z intake is already a straight through design that brings in cool outside air and the k&n flows great. Not to mention i was only out 50 bucks.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:35 AM
singh

yea man the intake on my brother's rx8 sounds cool but it is a PITA to clean since its located inside the front bumper.

but anyways I was thinking since you already spent some money on all the parts and installation, i would go ahead and get a proper tune. That way you will get the best of your parts and feel better about your purchase.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:54 AM
sumone812

Forget the headers man, I never even considered them. I have the intake, berk hfc's and hks hi-power exhaust and it sounds monsterous! Getting it tuned in about a month or so, waiting on those tax returns lol.

I've never understood the intake filters behind the front bumper, that just makes it a pain to get to them for cleaning and such. Personally I like the set up where they stay on top, a little more accessable.

Sorry to hear about the wasted money, that's never a good thing for anyone.

Last edited by sumone812; 03-07-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Manjot

Yeah, definitely man. Plus I'd rather speak the truth than go on and bs about how I actually gained mad power. It's funny because some people, especially the noobs, keep believing everything they're told such as stillen headers adding +15hp (which is obviously complete bs), not that I didn't know before buying them. Hopefully they'll see my thread and learn something.
Anyway, I'll be getting a technosquare ecu reflash+tune, hopefully Tadashi can figure out whats up. I think his dyno just reads a little higher than others and he himself says that it's only a way to measure a change in power, the numbers can be anything. In all honesty though I can see my car reaching 280whp the max, anything above is complete bs. I'll let you guys know in a few weeks.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

250whp doesnt seem completely out of line for a stock HR auto with some variables.

Last edited by Nexx; 03-07-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Got my HR Dyno'd (bolt-on) 5AT