Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

catch can

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:52 PM
dirtbikr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08sleeperz
This isn't some made up bs. Its proven fact, check out other catch can threads with pics and you'll c that oil accumulates in the catch can. Sure it may only be an ounce or so over the course of an oil change but I'd rather have it in the catch can than in my intakes or wherever it gets to. Guess I'm just **** like that.
So you noticed an ounce of oil lost on the dipstick after 6 runs?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:05 PM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by dirtbikr
So you noticed an ounce of oil lost on the dipstick after 6 runs?
Um no...I said you may loose that much over a course of an oil change. But yes, I did notice some oil loss after my visit to the track. Must we look at specifics or can we focus on the general purpose here folks?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:08 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"...can we focus on the general purpose here.."

OK. For general purposes, catch cans and combo catch cans are just bling.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:39 PM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by winchman
"...can we focus on the general purpose here.."

OK. For general purposes, catch cans and combo catch cans are just bling.
that is absolutely false.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've pulled the TB's off my HR back when it was almost new, and more recently at almost 28K miles, and there was virtually zero dirt/oil inside them or the manifold. Where is this blow-by happening? I also drive my car very hard, in very warm weather, so i'd be a prime candidate for it if it did exist.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:52 PM
08sleeperz

Blow by may or may not be evident by looking in the intake manifold or removing the TBs. Some cars produce more than others. The true answer is that blow by is a process that occurs during operating conditions. Some cars may not show evidence of this because they burn off all the blow by while operating. The best way to tell how much blow by your motor has is by installing a catch can. I will be installing mine over the next couple days and I will take a picture of the buildup after a few days to show everyone that it does in fact accumulate and that catch cans serve a purpose.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:54 PM
dirtbikr

Blow by may or may not be evident by looking in the intake manifold or removing the TBs. Some cars produce more than others. The true answer is that blow by is a process that occurs during operating conditions. Some cars may not show evidence of this because they burn off all the blow by while operating. The best way to tell how much blow by your motor has is by installing a catch can. I will be installing mine over the next couple days and I will take a picture of the buildup after a few days to show everyone that it does in fact accumulate and that catch cans serve a purpose.
What's the purpose again? Besides two cases I cannot comprehend a situation where a catch can would be needed. Case 1: Your motor sucks and it is literally blowing quarts into the IM over a period of 5k miles or so. Case 2: You race your car and have a legitimate concern about your tune which requires an exact octane rating to be used (or higher), and during this case the oil in the intake is lowering the effective octane rating of the fuel by a minute amount and is causing you grief. Otherwise, what purpose is it serving? The oil gets burnt if you do have a motor which has "a lot of blowby", or nothing happens if you have one of any other N/A HR motors in the entire world. In the end you are creating unnecessary maintenance that you have to perform assuming the can works to your expectations and catches all the oil you say it will...

As for that bold part:
sentence 1: We know it doesn't happen with the car off.
sentence 2: They don't show evidence of it because they are operating correctly. This is how the system was designed to work. Why change that?

I'm just very curious why you think this would be beneficial to you when all you have to go by is that "some people say the HR has a lot of blowby". I'm honestly just curious about this whole thing because it makes no sense to me...
Old 11-21-2010, 05:34 PM
08sleeperz

Ok, this is the last time I'm going to post in this thread because it is getting quite ridiculous. EVERY car, due to emmisions, produces blow by. Oil/gas vapors/etc are sucked from the valve cover(s) back into the intake manifold and "re-burned". Your right in saying that the motor is working how its supposed to if there is no evidence, however, just because you can't see it doesn't mean its not happening. Like I said, blow by is caused by the vaccum hose because of emmisions. Blow by is not a necessary component in keeping a motor running. Personally, I care about my car enough to disrupt that government controlled circuit and get rid of the used oil and gas that gets sucked back into the IM. Yes, I understand the amount of oil is very minute and may not be worth it to some people but to say a catch can doesn't do anything or that a modern motor does not have blow by is 100% false. I may have not made myself clear in previous posts, but, this is not something I've heard, but rather something I know for a fact. I am done with this discussion. Everyone can keep discussing this to their heart's content. It's not a hard concept to understand. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Lakeside

OP I like your style!!!... Stick to your guns around here!.. Alot of member's are very ignorant!.. Your posts are informative! I respect that

Zim
Old 11-21-2010, 07:22 PM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by Lakeside
OP I like your style!!!... Stick to your guns around here!.. Alot of member's are very ignorant!.. Your posts are informative! I respect that

Zim
Thanks Lakeside for acknowledging my point.

Sweet ride BTW!!

Last edited by 08sleeperz; 11-21-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:30 PM
supernadc2
Banned

Just recently added the catch can, oil cooler, upgraded radiator and oil temp gauge. Here is the can:
[IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Old 11-21-2010, 09:05 PM
dirtbikr

Originally Posted by Lakeside

Zim
http://tinyurl.com/thealot

Ok, this is the last time I'm going to post in this thread because it is getting quite ridiculous. EVERY car, due to emmisions, produces blow by. Oil/gas vapors/etc are sucked from the valve cover(s) back into the intake manifold and "re-burned". Your right in saying that the motor is working how its supposed to if there is no evidence, however, just because you can't see it doesn't mean its not happening. Like I said, blow by is caused by the vaccum hose because of emmisions. Blow by is not a necessary component in keeping a motor running. Personally, I care about my car enough to disrupt that government controlled circuit and get rid of the used oil and gas that gets sucked back into the IM. Yes, I understand the amount of oil is very minute and may not be worth it to some people but to say a catch can doesn't do anything or that a modern motor does not have blow by is 100% false. I may have not made myself clear in previous posts, but, this is not something I've heard, but rather something I know for a fact. I am done with this discussion. Everyone can keep discussing this to their heart's content. It's not a hard concept to understand. Good luck.
This was never said nor was it implied. I just asked an honest question: In our HRs, what does it do in a NA form? I can personally attest to not having a visible amount of oil anywhere in my plenum, throttle bodies, or manifold. This is after 60,000 miles of driving, sometimes beating the **** out of it and other times just driving to work. All I am questioning is how do you know this for a fact? You have not provided any background or reasoning as to how you know this. What does one gain from doing this on a NA engine?

Last edited by dirtbikr; 11-21-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:42 AM
winchman

I'd like to see some evidence, too. The fact that modern engines routinely last over one or more hundreds of thousand miles without serious problems is pretty convincing evidence that recirculating blow-by isn't hurting them very much.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

It happens! It's real! LOL. "Blow by" represents the products of combustion escaping around the piston rings. Different engines produce different amounts of blow by depending on various conditions from design of the piston rings, to the age of the engine, to the style of driving. For example, if you drive like a granny and putter around, you're likely not going to generate much blow by. The "blow by" consists predominantly of fuel, water, and oil vapor mixed together. In the past, engines would simply vent this to atmosphere. Emissions standards now require that these be routed back to the engine to be burned and emitted out the exhaust (and processed by the catalytic converters). If you install a catch can, you can visualize just how much "blow by" your engine is generating.

Last edited by rcdash; 11-22-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Lakeside

Originally Posted by rcdash
It happens! It's real! LOL. "Blow by" represents the products of combustion escaping around the piston rings. Different engines produce different amounts of blow by depending on various conditions from design of the piston rings, to the age of the engine, to the style of driving. For example, if you drive like a granny and putter around, you're likely not going to generate much blow by. The "blow by" consists predominantly of fuel, water, and oil vapor mixed together. In the past, engines would simply vent this to atmosphere. Emissions standards now require that these be routed back to the engine to be burned and emitted out the exhaust (and processed by the catalytic converters). If you install a catch can, you can visualize just how much "blow by" your engine is generating.
EXACTLY!!!!.......

I have seen catch cans on many NA platforms and you would be suprised at how much is removed!.. My buddys SRT8 Jeep now has a catch can and I have seen the black oil removed from that beast. Only time its romped on is at the track. Only Mods are: CAI, Tune & catch can. His Jeep has run 12.7's in the 1/4

So many people have nothing positive to say or include... Whole lotta thread bashing going on around here. Bunch of ignorant trolls or E-thugs. Dudes get a life already... You don't know Sh*t!...

Peace

lol
Old 11-23-2010, 02:30 PM
dirtbikr

So what are the side effects of blow by?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:47 PM
winchman

Good question. It's made up of products of combustion including water vapor, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, various nitrogen and sulfur compounds, unburned fuel, and some oil.

The catch can will grab the oil, but everything else goes right through and back into the intake.

The nitrogen and sulfur compounds could probably form some acids if they combine with the water vapor and collected on the surface somewhere, but that won't happen as long as the engine is up to operating temperature.

Not much to worry about, certainly not enough to spend money on.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:14 AM
dirtbikr

Ok, so there's no side effects. Gotcha
Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Bigalow

bump. Good info.

I track my DE(T) Z 80% of the time and I never catch any oil with my GReddy can... My PCV line is extended all the way towards the driver's side radiator support (the can is mounted in front of it and underneath the bumper). Is my line just too long? I mean, is the oil being burnt before it gets the opportunity to get caught in the can?

BTW, the output line is going straight to the intake for my turbo (compressor intake).
Old 04-15-2011, 12:02 PM
AadosX

LOL, this thread cracks me up. So much misinformation. Personally I don't think a catch-can is a worthwhile mod unless you've somehow damaged your rings..

And Jiggy.. first you post this..

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
Thats because you keep your car under 3 grand.
Then you post this..

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
I haven't noticed a drop gone either. But maybe some people aren't using the correct oil or something.
LOL. Troll!

This isn't some made up bs. Its proven fact, check out other catch can threads with pics and you'll c that oil accumulates in the catch can. Sure it may only be an ounce or so over the course of an oil change but I'd rather have it in the catch can than in my intakes or wherever it gets to. Guess I'm just **** like that.
An OUNCE? LOL you really are ****.

Quick Reply: catch can