Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

08 clutch pedal slow return

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:23 PM
08sleeperz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 clutch pedal slow return

Hello everyone. As its getting colder now, I have noticed a change in my car's clutch pedal travel. This is the first winter that I have my car so I have never experienced this before. Sorry if this was addressed before but I searched and couldn't find anything. Anyway its been less than 30 degrees now for a couple weeks and I've noticed that my clutch pedal is slow to return (doesn't stick to the floor but doesn't spring back quick). If i press it down to the floor and pull my foot off quick, the pedal takes about a second to return to the starting point after my foot was removed. Is this normal for cold weather? I have tried some fast shifts over the last few days and it really drags on my clutch which I don't like. One more thing I may add. A couple nights ago, I was leaving work and my car read 21 degrees. I got in my car to start it and when I pressed the clutch down it felt stiff and hard to push down, then once I released it, it almost got stuck halfway up and took a while to come back up all the way. It takes me about 25min to get home and by the time I got home it was still a bit stiff to press and hesitated when coming back up. One of my friends suggested that there may be moisture in the line? I'm not sure as this is the 3rd manual car I've had but only the 1st to act up in cold weather. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:56 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

See VQ35HR sticky thread on "Recall on slave cylinder ".
Old 12-15-2010, 06:38 AM
08sleeperz

I thought that was only for the 07s...I have an 08.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:10 AM
nismonian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an 08 aswell and when i went to the track a few weeks ago i ran twice and my clutch stuck to the floor everytime i launched.. took it to the stealership and they replaced the clutch master cylinder cause it was *leaking* went to the track after that and no sticky clutch. i had only 13500 on the odo, btw. take it to your local nissan dealer and see what they say, also did it ever stick to the floor?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:16 PM
AadosX

I'm pretty sure it's just because of the cold weather. This happened to my buddies '05 this week and my '07 pedal has felt different too in this extremely cold weather.

It makes sense to me, the fluid is probably just congealing a little and not moving as quickly through the lines.. no?

Does the pedal feel a little more 'mushy' when you press it in?
Old 12-15-2010, 02:21 PM
08sleeperz

It never stuck to the floor but it does feel a bit mushy at all times. Even once the car warms up, it does not return to normal. I didn't have a problem with it in the summer so I guess it could be the cold. However, I don't want to ruin my clutch.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:34 PM
AadosX

Like I said, I don't think it's an issue. Just don't drive hard and give your shifts plenty of time and it shouldn't hurt anything. In other words, no racing around.

Your situation could be different than mine though. Mine gets better once the car is warm, but I mean really warm.. as in after driving on the highway for about 30 minuets. Just because the engine coolant warms up (the temp. gauge), that doesn't mean the entire transmission, clutch, clutch fluid, etc has gotten any warmer.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:28 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you check the clutch fluid level, really this might be something this simple as a fix.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 PM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by AadosX
Like I said, I don't think it's an issue. Just don't drive hard and give your shifts plenty of time and it shouldn't hurt anything. In other words, no racing around.

Your situation could be different than mine though. Mine gets better once the car is warm, but I mean really warm.. as in after driving on the highway for about 30 minuets. Just because the engine coolant warms up (the temp. gauge), that doesn't mean the entire transmission, clutch, clutch fluid, etc has gotten any warmer.
I deffinately don't race around, I just don't like the fact that if I want to shift quick at higher rpm's, my clutch drags. But, I completely understand the clutch fluid, clutch, etc doesn't heat up at the same rate as the motor. Since I've noticed this problem I've only driven my car a max of about 30mins and not on the highway, so I'm sure all the components weren't fully warmed yet. I'll just keep an eye on it and hopefully it doesn't get any worse.

Originally Posted by 350ZTheStandard
Did you check the clutch fluid level, really this might be something this simple as a fix.
Good point...didn't think to check this I will do so in the morning. Sometimes my problems are an easy fix...but not all the time haha. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:52 PM
SamSpicer

Mine does the same when it's cold as well, however after my car has been running for 10 mins (usually less, but always more than 5mins) it's completely fine.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:47 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what was the problem & is the clutch working correctly now?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:31 PM
08sleeperz

Still having the same problems. Not matter how long I drive it, it can't seem to break completely free of the mushy feeling. Fluid level is fine. I guess I just have to deal with it til the spring??
Old 12-17-2010, 01:08 AM
winchman

According to my '08 owner's manual, the brakes and clutch use the same DOT3 brake fluid. I'm pretty sure it's not congealing at 21 degrees F, and I'll bet your brakes are working just fine. Your clutch should be working fine, too.

I've driven lots of MT vehicles with hydraulically-operated clutches in cold weather, and I've never had one that got mushy or slow-acting.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:30 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I drove my car on wednesday. It was a balmy 22 degrees. I didnt feel this at all.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:52 PM
08sleeperz

Damn, guess its time for a trip to the stealership....
Old 12-24-2010, 11:05 AM
08sleeperz

Just an update: I'm still noticing the slow return. It hasn't been as bad as it was the one night after work but it's still there. Even after driving 1.5hrs to R/T Tuning, it still is slow to return on fast shifts. When I shift fast, my foot comes off of the clutch before the clutch can engage and I get a little draggage that I don't like. I think I'm gonna go easy on her til the spring and see what happens in the warmer weather. Does anyone know if by chance the slower return (compared to what I've felt in other cars) is a safety feature. I though maybe Nissan didn't want less experienced ppl shifting fast and loosing control. The way it is shifting now def prevents wheels spin but I don't like it because no matter how fast I shift, it always drags and won't engage quick enough IMO.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:57 PM
winchman

You're going to ruin the clutch and possibly even the flywheel if you keep driving it with the clutch like that, especially if you drive it hard. I was hoping your next post would be a report on what the dealer had done to fix the problem.

There's something wrong with your car. Get it fixed!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 02:24 PM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by winchman
You're going to ruin the clutch and possibly even the flywheel if you keep driving it with the clutch like that, especially if you drive it hard. I was hoping your next post would be a report on what the dealer had done to fix the problem.

There's something wrong with your car. Get it fixed!!!
I haven't had time to get to the dealer I will try my best to schedule an appointment next week. I don't like the sound of this and I have a feeling they won't want to touch it since the 08 doesn't have a TSB for the slave cylinder. But maybe the warranty will help.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:41 PM
08sleeperz

I was just hangin out with some friends and one of them has an 08 HR as well. I tried out his car and guess what, his clutch does the same thing. I guess its just a cold weather issue. I guess I'll still contact the dealer and see what they say. But I guess I won't be able to drive the car hard until spring.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:41 PM
kabro91

you could get a heavy duty slave too, i heard they make it easier to modulate as well...

Quick Reply: 08 clutch pedal slow return