VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

HR Clutch to handle 600+ WHP/TRQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:38 PM
xJC350x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HR Clutch to handle 600+ WHP/TRQ

Hello,

I am currently doing an engine/TT build on my 07 HR and was wondering what some people have used in terms of aftermarket clutches? I ordered a RPS single disk clutch rated at about 700+lb TRQ but there have been problems with the ordering process so I am thinking of going with a different clutch/flywheel package. I'd like something rated at about the same amount of handling capabilities. I should add that this will be my DD so I'd like something to keep my driveability but go as agressive as I need. What are some of you boosted HR guys going with as far as clutch/flywheel setups? I am trying to get this ordered asap so any advice would be helpful. Thanks

David

Current Build: VQ35HR bored to 3.7, CP racing pistons (1000+hp), BC Rods (1000+hp), Greddy 20G TT (900hp), 800cc injectors, Walbro duel pump, HKS SSQV BOV, Haltech EMS.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:58 PM
qqqqball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the clutch/ flywheel is the same for both de and hr, only difference is the hydraulic throwout bearing and slave or lack there of, since it is self contained on the HR as a single unit. I maxed the rps clutch out at 500. I use SpecialityZ's high 5 puck, couldn't be happier with it. Do your self a favor and get specialityz's upgraded throwout bearing/slave thing, it will save you the head ache from having to pull the tranny since the stock ones fail with big clutches or at least mine have.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:55 PM
bardabe

Originally Posted by qqqqball
the clutch/ flywheel is the same for both de and hr, only difference is the hydraulic throwout bearing and slave or lack there of, since it is self contained on the HR as a single unit. I maxed the rps clutch out at 500. I use SpecialityZ's high 5 puck, couldn't be happier with it. Do your self a favor and get specialityz's upgraded throwout bearing/slave thing, it will save you the head ache from having to pull the tranny since the stock ones fail with big clutches or at least mine have.
Agreed, I sell the Specialty Z set up to all my customers and we have had nothing but great success with it.. I had an introductory price group buy on them a few months ago. contact me if you need more info or prices on them. I can't exactly advertise on here mods tend to get mad at me.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:23 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You want a 600 horsepower clutch and are asking in the all-motor forum.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

well i doubt any single disc will handle abuse at those power levels....i have the carbonetics triple disc....holds ALL of the power...its super grabby and kinda loud when starting from a stop but i think thats worth it imo that it can handle tons of abuse ...only other downside is its a 2k clutch/flywheel setup.....
Old 01-06-2011, 09:37 PM
xJC350x

I will look into the specialty Z clutch. If it's rated anywhere around 700tq to the wheels then that might be a good buy if the price is right. I was checking out some SPEC Super Twin clutches earlier and they have these Tq ratings:
SS Trim up to 735lb torque
P Trim up to 1290 lbs torque
ST Trim up to 1475lb torque
E Trim up to 1650lb torque

Not bad for a clutch that is around $1200... I know SPEC is a somewhat popular brand and it is especially made for the HR which is great. Only thing is, once again, I run into the issue of how reliable is the CSC in conjunction with that clutch/flywheel setup. If anyone has any experience with SPEC please chime in. Oh, and bardabe I sent you a PM
Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 PM
bardabe

Originally Posted by eltness350
well i doubt any single disc will handle abuse at those power levels....i have the carbonetics triple disc....holds ALL of the power...its super grabby and kinda loud when starting from a stop but i think thats worth it imo that it can handle tons of abuse ...only other downside is its a 2k clutch/flywheel setup.....
Our High 5 clutch kit is rated at 850ft/lbs of torque. and it has been proven to hold that power in the Z32 realm over and over again.

Single disk, Minimal Clutch Chatter, Comfortable enough I used to Daily Drive on it and it comes with an Upgraded Biller CSC bearing and Sleeve.. if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited by bardabe; 01-07-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:35 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by qqqqball
no, they are not the same

the CSC, by it's design and nature, necessitates a different presure plate as the contact area differs substantially between a DE throw out bearing and HR. Not sure if flywheels differ, have never taken the time to notice

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-07-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 AM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance

the CSC, by it's design and nature, necessitates a different presure plate as the contact area differs substantially between a DE throw out bearing and HR. Not sure if flywheels differ, have never taken the time to notice
+1

My recommendation would be to check out CuztomPartZ's new metal CSC here:
https://my350z.com/forum/drivetrain/...or-hr-vhr.html

Then go pick a high torque DE clutch.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:13 PM
xJC350x

Thank for all the tips and heads ups. I think I am going to be narrowing it down between Specialty Z clutch/flywheel/CSC setup or with the SPEC Super Twin Disc. South Bend I am kind of unsure about not because it isn't reuptable or have a good tra ck record, but because I might max that clutch out faster than the SPEC or Specialty Z. I really don't care which clutch it is as long as it is reliable and can hold at least 700 lb and my 700whp. That is most likely what I will be MAX at any given time for at least the next couple years until I decide to dedicate this my track/weekend car. Man, getting into this build I had no idea I would have so many choices and questions. I knew it was a lot to do but I never knew it would be this extensive. The crazy part is that I love the technicality of the whole process, it's just the time it takes that Kills Me!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:08 PM
ace32x

OS giken twin plate, using it on my stock block HR gtm stage 2 TT its holding like a champ at 526 atm good to 700-800 from what ive read
Old 01-07-2011, 01:09 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance

flywheels are different, the DE has notches where it sits in and the HR has nipples, we learned this the hard way when installing mine with an exedy clutch >.> turns out they sold us a product they didnt even make yet >.> had to go with OS giken's after we ran into that issue
Old 01-07-2011, 10:15 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

OS Giken quad here, and I love it (kinda:-)) GTM TT and rebuilt HR.

Also, no way to reach the 700HP with single walbro pump.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:20 AM
nismonian

all you guys running the stock csc??
Old 01-08-2011, 02:12 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

Originally Posted by bardabe
Our High 5 clutch kit is rated at 850ft/lbs of torque. and it has been proven to hold that power in the Z32 realm over and over again.

Single disk, Minimal Clutch Chatter, Comfortable enough I used to Daily Drive on it and it comes with an Upgraded Biller CSC bearing and Sleeve.. if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
i wonder how long it would handle that type of tq.....not very imo thats y i went with a triple disc....carbon grabs harder when heated
Old 01-08-2011, 07:26 PM
bardabe

Originally Posted by eltness350
i wonder how long it would handle that type of tq.....not very imo thats y i went with a triple disc....carbon grabs harder when heated
anywhere between 15-30K miles depending on your Driving style. I've personally put 8K miles of track time on my Z32 version of it and it barely put a Dent in it.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:23 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

i wouldnt wanna change my clutch every year!! just my .02
Old 01-10-2011, 09:47 AM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xJC350x
Thank for all the tips and heads ups. I think I am going to be narrowing it down between Specialty Z clutch/flywheel/CSC setup or with the SPEC Super Twin Disc. South Bend I am kind of unsure about not because it isn't reuptable or have a good tra ck record, but because I might max that clutch out faster than the SPEC or Specialty Z. I really don't care which clutch it is as long as it is reliable and can hold at least 700 lb and my 700whp. That is most likely what I will be MAX at any given time for at least the next couple years until I decide to dedicate this my track/weekend car. Man, getting into this build I had no idea I would have so many choices and questions. I knew it was a lot to do but I never knew it would be this extensive. The crazy part is that I love the technicality of the whole process, it's just the time it takes that Kills Me!
You may want to consider reading a bit more on the HR's CSC. Reliability wise, you might want to reconsider the metal slave, unless you're going with the ATS twin or triple. The bearing cap might turn out to be fine, but it sounds like some slaves were breaking due to the added pressure of aftermarket pressure plates. Stock csc is plastic. Just my opinion.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:02 AM
xJC350x

My mechanic is going to order the upgraded CSC and the SPEC clutch rated at 900 lb ft torque. It is a twin disk clutch and from what I har the clutch pedal feel is not too far off from the stock feel. I hope it turns out ok...
As far as the fuel pump, I'm going with the dual CJ pump so that should more than adequate for the 600-650whp that I'm shooting for. I wonder how high of boost I can go with my setup before needed a meth injection kit...? Of course, this isn't the forum to ask that on...
Is anybody else running the SPEC clutches in here? Any feedback? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:18 PM
xJC350x

Check the last post. SPEC clutch does not work well with the HR because the upgraded CSC will not be compatible. I have to fork over the money and get the OS Giken which is more than I wanted to spend but it cost money to get it right... From what I hear OS Giken on an HR build is the only way to go.

Quick Reply: HR Clutch to handle 600+ WHP/TRQ