Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Couple possible issues after tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Mike Anthony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple possible issues after tuning

I did not put this in the tuning section because I'm not sure if these problems are related to the recent tune I had done or not.

I had an exhaust system installed, and a tune done. Turned out the exhaust was a little too loud for me so I put the stock back on and got it re-tuned (with osiris). Now that it's been tuned, I think I've noticed some differences in the responsiveness of the throttle when accelerating. Before it was tuned I never had any issues. Now, sometimes it takes a second after pushing the pedal down for the car to actually start going. I've only driven it for about an hour total, and it seems like it mostly does it in second gear. And the second issue I guess would be that while accelerating (again I only noticed it when flooring it in second gear) that it seems to be kind of uneaven. Not really sure how to describe it. But from 1500 to about 5500 rpms it feels like it pulls harder at certain rpms and some power drops off at different rpms. Is this characteristic of tunes? Sorry for my inexperience, this was my first tune.

Also, after the tune, I now hear popping coming from my exhaust every now and then. Usually when letting off the gas or giving it gas there is some popping coming from the exhaust. Never did any of this before the tune.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions for me I would be very thankful. Thanks

EDIT: In case it matters, my car is a 2007 Nismo.

Last edited by Mike Anthony; 09-02-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:45 AM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Anthony
I did not put this in the tuning section because I'm not sure if these problems are related to the recent tune I had done or not.

I had an exhaust system installed, and a tune done. Turned out the exhaust was a little too loud for me so I put the stock back on and got it re-tuned (with osiris). Now that it's been tuned, I think I've noticed some differences in the responsiveness of the throttle when accelerating. Before it was tuned I never had any issues. Now, sometimes it takes a second after pushing the pedal down for the car to actually start going. I've only driven it for about an hour total, and it seems like it mostly does it in second gear. And the second issue I guess would be that while accelerating (again I only noticed it when flooring it in second gear) that it seems to be kind of uneaven. Not really sure how to describe it. But from 1500 to about 5500 rpms it feels like it pulls harder at certain rpms and some power drops off at different rpms. Is this characteristic of tunes? Sorry for my inexperience, this was my first tune.

Also, after the tune, I now hear popping coming from my exhaust every now and then. Usually when letting off the gas or giving it gas there is some popping coming from the exhaust. Never did any of this before the tune.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions for me I would be very thankful. Thanks

EDIT: In case it matters, my car is a 2007 Nismo.
I have same engine (08 HR not Nismo) with Osirus tune and had it tuned prior to cataback exhaust being installed. Never retuned with catback, since it's really not required (no test pipes or HFC). I found better response and acceleration after the tune and even better after the catback added (no additional tune). Absolutely no problems. I strongly suggest you take it back to the tuner and do another dyno tune..something's not right. You really didn't need to retune after you put the stock exhaust back on UNLESS you had HFC or test pipes on . Maybe something is off with the stock exhaust..a leak perhaps?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:54 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who tuned it? sounds like u got a crap tune...exhaust was too loud....muahahahahaha
Old 09-03-2011, 10:46 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Go back to stock. Punch that tuner in the face and find a new one.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:01 PM
ace32x

Sounds like your tuners a noob
Old 09-03-2011, 12:19 PM
SE5spd

go get tuned somewhere else, or ask your tuner to put your stock map back on and call it a day.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Mike Anthony

Yeah I guess I'm gonna have to look into this. The stock exhaust they put back on sounds just slightly louder than it did before, maybe there's a leak. And yeah, I'm thinking the tune was off... it wasn't really a full retune, he said he just wanted to do a touch up to make sure it was all good.

Do you guys know of any good tuners near northern va?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Mike Anthony

Although it was tuned at AAM. They seem fairly popular
Old 09-04-2011, 01:48 PM
67ZNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AAM is pretty reputable so I doubt it's the tuner. Are you running any sort of after market cats? Interesting to hear that you "pop" on a stock exhaust. Check your exhaust setup to see if you have any leaks and clarify with your tuner on what map he reflashed you with. You might want to check your MAF sensor as well...could be dirty and causing throttle response issues.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Car should pull smoothly with a tune, shouldn't feel surging under power at all. Don't know why you bothered to re-tune with just an exhaust change, but whatever. Take it back and ask them to check it out.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Mike Anthony

Originally Posted by 67ZNISMO
AAM is pretty reputable so I doubt it's the tuner. Are you running any sort of after market cats? Interesting to hear that you "pop" on a stock exhaust. Check your exhaust setup to see if you have any leaks and clarify with your tuner on what map he reflashed you with. You might want to check your MAF sensor as well...could be dirty and causing throttle response issues.
Actually, I didn't know this before, but I THINK they left the HFCs on my car when they put the stock exhaust back on. Do HFCs commonly cause the popping sounds? The throttle response issues have pretty much gone away, I don't know what was causing it but I'll look into it.

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
Car should pull smoothly with a tune, shouldn't feel surging under power at all. Don't know why you bothered to re-tune with just an exhaust change, but whatever. Take it back and ask them to check it out.
It wasn't a re-tune. He just said he wanted to look at the tune and do any touch ups that might be necessary after switching back. So I said sure. And it was free.