BigBlue's '07 HR

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 05:42 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Thanks for the "nice start" compliment, but what is wrong with my mods? Just curious 'cause they are some of the best items out there.
All of your mods are race inspired except the wheels and Suwaidi said it best "your wheels simply don't fit in the scene."

Looks are subjective, fitment is everything and Vossen do offer aggressive specs that will clear big brake kit, this is a plus since you recently SC'd your car and you'll need the extra stopping power. Along with the Rays lugs, why not get some light weight wheels to fit the script... because race car.

I googled Vossen wheels and saw mostly VIP four door sedan sporting them with a hellaflush drop and PSS10 are the polar opposite again, because race car.

Anywho - it's your car, build it how you want. What you've done in months time, would take me and others years to accomplish... props to you mang. Enjoy your stay.

EDIT: failed at reading the 1st post. Bought the car in 07' and recently joined the forum Still much props for quality parts, I know chit ain't cheap especially if you're an brand *****.

Last edited by stogey420time; 04-14-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

I'll keep saying it over and over it looks like, I love the Vossen CV3 wheels! I know plenty about the top expensive makes and I understand what lightweight wheels are all about; I hear you guys! I "didn't" go for that obviously. After a couple of years of finally making a decision for a nice cruising car I was attracted to these Vossens; and I'm glad that I did; could have bought "many" other makes/models for $3K but this was my choice and I recommend them to the many Vossen fans out there. They look great on my car; I'll have to take a look at yours maybe and then I can post up if I like them or not, but I don't care really. I think that I've got a nice looking quick HR Z and if you don't like my choices tough. At your local meets, etc. do you walk up to strangers and look 'em in the eyeballs and tell them that you don't like this or that? Didn't think so.
you're on a public forum.. if you post a picture or anything about your car you will get opinions. if you get butthurt over opinions maybe you should not post on a forum? i'm simply stating my opinion about your car. hate the wheels, everything else looks pretty nice. but it is your car so do what you want. and also the RPF1s are no where near $3k. they can be had for $1200ish shipped.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:37 AM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

Dude, don't worry about it. 20's are not fav of z group. Don't know why. Porsche have 20's and no one goes that a jeep wheel. A few 20's in my z club. Some are too much chrome other are waaay too heavy, xxr. All it matters you have a unique car and you should be proud of yourself.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:26 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

You're getting a little carried away man. LOL. The only thing I have said is that I do not like your wheels. Just my opinion. Take it as constructive criticism, or whatever you want.. Idc. It's just an opinion. Everyone has one. Feel free to say whatever you want about my car! They are just opinions! Simply just do not like the wheels, once again, everything else is nice and you have done a huge amount better than most newbs do. Like stogey said, it would take me years to be able to afford a SC. Congrats.

Just opinions man.. No need to get upset.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Suwaidi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1.5-$2K: Akebono - Z1 or ConceptZPerformance (Caution: 1 Piece rotors are HEAVY)
$1-$2K: OEM Brembos - Buy calipers off classifieds, rotors/lines/pads from a vendor
$2.5K+: StopTech / Brembo GT - Vendor Classifieds
$1.5K+: Wildwood - Vendor Classifieds

If you're piecing together a kit yourself, if you find the part # for the rotors or the pads you want to use and google around, you'll be able to find a much lower price than what most vendors post up. If you're also looking for used kits, other than our classifieds G35Driver also has some good threads up now and then.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:20 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Suwaidi
$1.5-$2K: Akebono - Z1 or ConceptZPerformance (Caution: 1 Piece rotors are HEAVY)
$1-$2K: OEM Brembos - Buy calipers off classifieds, rotors/lines/pads from a vendor
$2.5K+: StopTech / Brembo GT - Vendor Classifieds
$1.5K+: Wildwood - Vendor Classifieds

If you're piecing together a kit yourself, if you find the part # for the rotors or the pads you want to use and google around, you'll be able to find a much lower price than what most vendors post up. If you're also looking for used kits, other than our classifieds G35Driver also has some good threads up now and then.
Thanks for your help! Some good info. and appreciated. I've had some people post to me from some other clubs also, what do you think about the Akebono kits? They have one kit that has F+R, ss braided lines, and choice of rotors, Motul fluid, like on ConceptZ for a nice price; about $1920. That sounds pretty impressive to me, what do you think about the Akebono setup? Z1 Motorsports also sells the Akebono kits for a good price, just wondering what you may think. Yeah, the Stoptech kit looks nice too! One thing that is good about Akebono is they use a lot of oem parts and easy to service/find. Please let me know what you think; I need to be able to stop this car of mine while I'm getting used to closing on things "much" quicker than I'm used to.

Last edited by BigBlue; 02-07-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Suwaidi

The Akebono BBK is the same kit that comes stock on the G37S and the 370z Sport options (and painted black or red with a white Nissan logo). The main difference between ConceptZ and Z1 is the adapter bracket (you need one for the front), other than that the price is pretty similar. I've gone back and forth deciding on my future upgrade between the Akebono vs the Brembo, but I've been considering the Brembo for a number of reasons:

1) The rotors on the Akebono are HEAVY unless you're looking at 2-Piece rotors (much more expensive). I think they were 28lbs (vs 20lb oem Brembo rotors).
2) For the price of a complete Akebono kit, I can get OEM Brembo Calipers, rebuild them, powdercoat them, and piece together a kit
3) I've always trusted the Brembo brand, my brothers Genesis 3.8 runs them OEM and I love them

The Akebono is tempting, especially when you can get a brand new kit for $2k.

Last edited by Suwaidi; 04-14-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:49 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Suwaidi
The Akebono BBK is the same kit that comes stock on the G37S and the 370z Sport options (and painted black or red with a white Nissan logo). The main difference between ConceptZ and Z1 is the adapter bracket (you need one for the front), other than that the price is pretty similar. I've gone back and forth deciding on my future upgrade between the Akebono vs the Brembo, but I've been considering the Brembo for a number of reasons:

1) The rotors on the Akebono are HEAVY unless you're looking at 2-Piece rotors (much more expensive). I think they were 28lbs (vs 20lb oem Brembo rotors).
2) For the price of a complete Akebono kit, I can get OEM Brembo Calipers, rebuild them, powdercoat them, and piece together a kit
3) I've always trusted the Brembo brand, my brothers Genesis 3.8 runs them OEM and I love them

The Akebono is tempting, especially when you can get a brand new kit for $2k.
Great info. I hear you on the temptation of the Akebono unless I/we could find a great deal on the Brembos F+R+ rotors. I didn't know about the Akebono until today when a friend suggested them. A full Brembo kit new is insanely priced F+R+ rotors! No way I could do that anytime soon; but the Akebono I'd do within a month or so; just paid for the SC kit, plus install. If I were to consider new kit I'd be very tempted to go with the $2K or so great quality BBK. * One real good thing about the Akebono system is that it is Nissan and the parts/servicing is much easier; so I've read; parts "much" cheaper and easier to get at most any dealer in the US; got that info from their site today.

Last edited by BigBlue; 02-07-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:35 PM
taryon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The akebonos would look great on your Z, fill up that wheel gap a bit
Old 04-15-2013, 06:34 PM
taryon

Thanks, yeah I agree with that. How do you like yours and was it a pretty smooth install being they use Nissan parts for these kits? Also, are you impressed with them?
My akebono brakes are my best modification to the Z so far, maybe apart from the HKS suspension but to be honest, I can't really feel the difference. But this is all from everyday driving, once I take the Z to the track, hopefully I won't feel brake fade like the stock 2 piston ones after couple of laps haha.

Very impressed with how it looks though!

Pretty straightforward install yeah Used CZP brackets and banjo bolts for the rear lines
Old 04-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Sickboy101

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

Car looks great! Some very nice parts.

Speed safely...
Old 04-15-2013, 10:14 PM
taryon

Good to know! Looks great on your fine looking car; did you go with the stainless lines? The more I look at these various kits on ConceptZ and Z1 Motorsports, these kits are very impressive for what you get; Price!
Thank you haha, I'm pretty sure the red (or any other color) would stand out quite a bit on your San Marino behind the vossens

And nope, still on the stock lines, I'm looking for the stainless lines though!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:10 AM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

Hmm tempting was debating between akebono or wilwood.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:10 PM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Clean build, Blue. Wheels look pretty good on your car ( although I have to admit I am also against the 20's and not a fan of Vossen ). Anyway, you won't regret the BBK if you ever plan on driving the car hard. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
BigBlue (03-12-2017)
Old 04-27-2013, 11:15 PM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks; yeah I look forward to that new BB set up; going to get the gauges installed, but has been a hassle getting the dual pillar gauge pod; had to order from one place, re-order from another and now they say 2 weeks to get it in stock.
Have you considered the ATI steering column mount with the dual gauge cluster? I've been using that one for several years now, plus a custom gauge cluster built in the cubby hole.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:38 AM
GreyZ

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

On a different note, i really like the wheels on your setup and think the 20s look great, especially on a non track oriented car. Good job!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Can you post pics of the hood (the areas where you need to cut/modify)? Thanks.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Jaxter

Thanks, I "knew" somebody would step forward in support haha!
I should have too. I like them a lot. Been looking at them in 19s.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Frostydc4

Yes I will get a pic/s of the under hood cuts. I'm loving this Stillen kit, Stillen's main tune tech. is creating a "new" custom performance tune for me; should be done early next week (just got his email). I'll have the base tune that came with the kit as map #1, Performance map #2 and several more maps; can have 5 with UpRev. He offered an "race fuel only" map, but I won't be needing that. it's going to be hard for me to stay out of trouble!

How are the engine bay temps (especially around the areas you cut under the hood)? Do you notice any pinging with the maps stillen sent to you & what octane gas are you using?

Personally, I'm a little uncomfortable using an off the shelf map for an FI kit.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Frostydc4

I haven't noticed any issues with engine bay temps; the cuts are in the frame structure and wouldn't effect the temps in the bay. Where I live has been close to 100 degrees lately, gets real hot here. No pinging with Stillen base tune that came with kit. I can only get 91 octane here in Utah at most pumps (wish we had 93!). *One thing to know about this SC kit and the tune that comes with it; "closed" liscense UpRev cable (only Stillen can access/tune car, unless you buy a new cable (would cost $500)and have an UpRev tuner do it. This base tune is calibrated for "Stock Cats Only"! I refused to put my stock or my Crawford hfc's back on; ART pipes it is! The Stillen tuner now knows that and he has to do what they call a custom e-tune so it should be nice for me. They use the stock cats only to cover themselves warranty wise I'd imagine; I doubt many guys that buy the kit keep their stock cats on.

Oh I see. Did you take any datalogs yet? I would think you are running relatively lean (for FI) with the supplied map.

Quick Reply: BigBlue's '07 HR