Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Haltech Elite 2500 Series ECU and VQ35HR?

Old 09-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Haltech Elite 2500 Series ECU and VQ35HR?

Does anybody know if the new Haltech Elite 2500 ECU coming out in October will support the VQ35HR natively?

I've heard of the Vipec i88 being mentioned used for VQ35HR, but interested in this potential from Haltech.

J
Old 09-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes and no. It will support the engine, but it will not be a plug and play replacement standalone solution on a street car for a few reasons:
1. Will require a custom wiring harness. We will supply these in a build-to-order basis.
2. Elite will run 1 Drive by wire throttle, not 2.
3. Elite will not receive or transmit the HR CANBUS data.

I am running an Elite on a VQ35DE currently and it works well, but will need to be in a parallel configuration on the HR. We will offer this as a package in addition to our current Pro 350Z VQ35HR package.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Juztin

Thanks for the info Hal, do you know if there will be some situations where the ECU and the Haltech would fight with each other (particularly timing/fuel)?

It doesn't sound like any better of an option than running a Haltech Platinum Pro piggy back on an HR. Bummer was hoping for something native. Have you seen challenges running that kind of combination on an HR, possible con's to such solution? Any pro's to go with such an investment rather than say Uprev?
Old 09-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

We have sold quite a few HR kits and they work, but obviously the ideal setup is a Pro Plugin. That said, Haltech is still planning to release an HR/VHR plugin. No ETA.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:33 PM
T-dizee

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope this is soon. That would be great for a full plug and play.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Juztin

Just another bump for this thread Hal,

From a blog post on the Dynosty website:
"Earlier this year we installed a Greddy 20G turbo kit on this 2008 Nissan 350Z, and dyno tuned the stock ecu with Uprev Osiris yielding 425-430whp. Now the car was back for an upgrade to a Haltech 350Z box, with Dynosty Plug and Play VQ35HR harness. We have developed the only plug&play standalone for the VQ35 HR engines, and this was another example of how well the system works. This car arrived first thing in the morning from PA, and we went straight to work on installing the Haltech ECU and a plug&play dual wideband controller. Next, the car went onto our Dyno Dynamics dynamometer and the tune was complete by the end of the day. The end result was a smoother driving vehicle, more consistent tune, proper safety features and best of all – an additional 50+WHP."
Source: http://www.dynosty.com/tag/vq35hr/

Is going with the Haltech Platinum Pro and the VQ35HR Harness allow the EMS to function like a standalone taking out the ECU as you used the word 'standalone'. Or does the system run in parallel. If it runs in parallel could we be extremely confident the EMS and ECU won't fight each other. I'd hate to spend $2.5K+ on a Haltech setup and have errant ECU timing's or something melt a motor. Looking for an EMS with good knock detection and reaction to protect the motor; etc (so long as it's configured correctly of course & the tune being competent).

I do dig the map selections, flex fuel, dual wideband's, and general standalone features of it (provided they all work on the VQ35HR; does the platinum pro in the VQ35HR with the harness lose any features or any fine print to be aware of??)

My car is getting close to coming back together and the only last puzzle piece is the tune/EMS solution. I'll try to shoot you guys a call this business week to talk about this offline, but posting here in case it's useful to others. Just trying to get some warm and fuzzies before biting that very expensive bullet.

Last edited by Juztin; 12-13-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:22 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

For HR/VHR we set it up as a standalone fuel and ignition controller, and the stock computer is retained for can bus and dual drive by wire. There is no fighting for fuel/ign control because the Haltech has total control.

Advantages over Uprev... countless. Examples would be flex fuel, traction control, boost control, accurate dual O2 readings with lean protection, fuel pressure protection, 6x egt capability, internal logging, full live tuning, etc etc etc.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Juztin

Full knock control?
What reactionary controls does it have available for knock detections?
If you have access to a BC can you also reduce boost on knock detection?
Connect up an external knock sensor etc?
Also does the VQ35HR Haltech PP setup offer boost by gear?

Last edited by Juztin; 12-15-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:15 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Juztin
Full knock control?
What reactionary controls does it have available for knock detections?
If you have access to a BC can you also reduce boost on knock detection?
Connect up an external knock sensor etc?
Also does the VQ35HR Haltech PP setup offer boost by gear?
Knock control allows up to 2 Knock Sensors, oem or aftermarket. It has a short term and optional long term reaction. The short term is an instantaneous reduction in timing, with a decay rate where it will slowly put the timing back in. Long term is a 16x16 table that will store a portion of the knock retard to prevent the knock from occuring next time you pass through those cells. Long term trim is saved in memory, so it is still in the ecu the next day when you go driving again.
All of the settings (short term knock retard, decay rate, long term trim enable, long term trim amount, max long term trim, etc) are user adjustable.
The long term table is viewable, editable, and can be applied to the ignition table with a push of a button. This is great after your tune because you can drive for 1000 miles or however long and then see if it has caught any knock prone areas and reduced the timing.

Yes boost control can be adjusted based on knock, but understand that turbo response is much slower than you want for instantaneous knock. This would be better if you got a bad tank of gas to have it lower the boost after it detects a set amount of knock in that drive cycle.

Boost by gear and traction control are both available, but will require adding the wires to the wheel speed signals. We can leave these as a flying lead if you intend to do this.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:12 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

curious to as how you are addign wires to grab the wheel speed? just tapping into the lines before the ABS box?
Old 12-31-2016, 05:18 PM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Seeing if a bump in this thread is worth it and will get a response.

I am interested in a HR haltech solution for my high HP build. I'd like the possibility to tune a 3rd fuel rail, seeing I have the RJM GTR manifold conversion and either a GTR manifold or possibility a CJM manifold in the works.

Is this possible with this HR haltech "standalone"?
Old 12-31-2016, 09:29 PM
Juztin

As far as I know it's still not native, mine is piggy backed into the car but that being said, I don't see why it would cause you any problems with running a '3rd' fuel rail. IIRC it can control like 12 or more injectors.

We don't have problem keeping the AFR/timing where we want it or anything like that. Granted it would be nice to just have it act as a true ECU replacement but even in it's current state I don't see it causing you problems.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:21 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
I am interested in a HR haltech solution for my high HP build. I'd like the possibility to tune a 3rd fuel rail, seeing I have the RJM GTR manifold conversion and either a GTR manifold or possibility a CJM manifold in the works.

Is this possible with this HR haltech "standalone"?
The Elite is capable of controlling staged injectors in a 3rd rail and is not difficult to tune. Please make sure to relay this info to us when you purchase a kit and we can set it up with a breakout harness for easy connection of additional injectors.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Nismo350z#0310

Originally Posted by Dynosty
The Elite is capable of controlling staged injectors in a 3rd rail and is not difficult to tune. Please make sure to relay this info to us when you purchase a kit and we can set it up with a breakout harness for easy connection of additional injectors.

Hmmm it appears I may have bought too small a turbo lol

This is great, thank you for the feedback.

Does Dynosty provide fuel solutions? I was planning on running minimal 6 x 1700 (currently have them) and need a pump or external tank solution. Goal will be +1000 on e85.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:01 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
Hmmm it appears I may have bought too small a turbo lol

This is great, thank you for the feedback.

Does Dynosty provide fuel solutions? I was planning on running minimal 6 x 1700 (currently have them) and need a pump or external tank solution. Goal will be +1000 on e85.
We do. 1000+ on E85 gets a bit tricky, can you give us a call or shoot an email over to discuss what you are doing with the car?
Old 01-05-2017, 05:52 AM
Nismo350z#0310

PM sent