Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Hr oil pump failure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 07:46 AM
illphildawg21

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hr oil pump failure?

Is it common for the oil pump to fail in the hr's or has anyone else had theirs fail? That's my last step in trying to solve my oil starvation issues before I just cut my losses and get rid of my car. At this point I have; changed my oil pressure sensor (twice), moved to 5w40 oil and changed the two internal gaskets inside the front timing cover notorious for leaking oil pressure on the hr's. Now I have a dry lifter, I have not been operating the car with this oil starvation issue. Any suggestions would be great, the car hasn't even broken 60k miles. I have no upgrades beyond test pipes, exhaust and intake.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:27 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't heard of 1 failing. What are the issues.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:16 AM
illphildawg21

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
I haven't heard of 1 failing. What are the issues.
0 oil pressure at idle, insufficient oil pressure under normal, non stressful, driving conditions (below 30). What are some other causes for oil starvation that I have not tried yet? Spun bearing in the lower end? I'm really out of ideas.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It's not common at all, very few HR's seem to have oil pressure issues. That being said, it does sound like you have a failed pump or major blockage like a bearing failure. Get a good used engine and be done with it.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:29 AM
illphildawg21

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
It's not common at all, very few HR's seem to have oil pressure issues. That being said, it does sound like you have a failed pump or major blockage like a bearing failure. Get a good used engine and be done with it.
that's what I'm thinking. i've already spent 2000$ trying to solve this issue and i've found used hr engines with 40k miles for that much. suggested places to buy an engine? or anything else I should try/check before I go that route. thank you for you time and help btw, I really appreciate it.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:47 AM
illphildawg21

Also, the 08 and 09 vq35hr will fit the 07 right? nothing really changed? or what should I expect to be different during the swap?
Old 07-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Italianjoe1

All the HR base engines should be the same, I imagine if you got one from an M/EX35 or something it may have slight differences in bracketry or mounts from that platform, but you should have whatever you need in your Z to fit it in properly. I'd bet it drops right in with no changes, there is a lot of commonality on the nissan platforms and the VQ in general.

It's getting hard to find good used engines for cheap lately, i'm looking for a VQ40 for a freind's Frontier and they are 2k+. Now that LKQ is buying up all the used parts places they are driving the market up.

Ebay is a good source still, there's a couple places in south FL but unless you're gonna drive down and pick it up in Miami the shipping won't be much different if it's 100 or 1000 miles away.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:29 PM
illphildawg21

All the HR base engines should be the same, I imagine if you got one from an M/EX35 or something it may have slight differences in bracketry or mounts from that platform, but you should have whatever you need in your Z to fit it in properly. I'd bet it drops right in with no changes, there is a lot of commonality on the nissan platforms and the VQ in general.

It's getting hard to find good used engines for cheap lately, i'm looking for a VQ40 for a freind's Frontier and they are 2k+. Now that LKQ is buying up all the used parts places they are driving the market up.

Ebay is a good source still, there's a couple places in south FL but unless you're gonna drive down and pick it up in Miami the shipping won't be much different if it's 100 or 1000 miles away.
Miami is an hour away and worth the ride if I can find a good used motor. thanks for all of your info man. I really appreciate it.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:06 AM
illphildawg21

hey man, i've been checking salvage auctions across the country and locally and it's actually cheaper to buy a totaled car that's running and take the motor. i've found totaled z's with for 1k. you could probably do the same with the motor you're looking for.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:13 AM
Italianjoe1

True, the only issue with that is the space to store another vehicle that's crashed while taking it apart, both him and me live in apartments and they won't approve lol.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:01 AM
illphildawg21

awh sh*t. ever thought about renting shop space? 2 of my friends are doing that and it's quite affordable. I think once I get this engine swap done i'm gonna build my old motor... and steal all other parts i want off the totaled car. should be fun.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:48 AM
Italianjoe1

I am going to in the near future probably, as my job is shutting down and I will get transferred to another location that will probably not be as good. I'm about to open up my own shop but the rent here is insane, a small 500 sq/ft bay is over $500/mo and that's only enough space for 1 car inside.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:55 PM
T-dizee

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually there is a common problem with HR's losing oil pressures. one of the biggest things are the 2 papers gaskets behind the front cover plate by the timing chains. ill try and find some photos I took of my buddies that had this same issue. they back up some of the main oil galley's that feed the EVTC engagements that help advance and retards the cams for timing.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:07 PM
Italianjoe1

Originally Posted by illphildawg21
Is it common for the oil pump to fail in the hr's or has anyone else had theirs fail? That's my last step in trying to solve my oil starvation issues before I just cut my losses and get rid of my car. At this point I have; changed my oil pressure sensor (twice), moved to 5w40 oil and changed the two internal gaskets inside the front timing cover notorious for leaking oil pressure on the hr's. Now I have a dry lifter, I have not been operating the car with this oil starvation issue. Any suggestions would be great, the car hasn't even broken 60k miles. I have no upgrades beyond test pipes, exhaust and intake.
Originally Posted by T-dizee
Actually there is a common problem with HR's losing oil pressures. one of the biggest things are the 2 papers gaskets behind the front cover plate by the timing chains. ill try and find some photos I took of my buddies that had this same issue. they back up some of the main oil galley's that feed the EVTC engagements that help advance and retards the cams for timing.
Already done.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:18 AM
T-dizee

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Already done.
You taking the redline pass 7800 a lot?
Old 07-09-2015, 03:21 PM
illphildawg21

I am going to in the near future probably, as my job is shutting down and I will get transferred to another location that will probably not be as good. I'm about to open up my own shop but the rent here is insane, a small 500 sq/ft bay is over $500/mo and that's only enough space for 1 car inside.
oh my, that is insane. that really blows man.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:35 PM
illphildawg21

Originally Posted by T-dizee
You taking the redline pass 7800 a lot?
Rarely, I kept my shift light at 6500 rpms and tried to shift at around 6500 rpms when doing any sort of enthusiastic driving, of corse I let it bounce off the rev limiter when smoking a set of tires but that wasn't for any more than a few seconds and I only did it twice. The car hasn't been beat on at the track, and I always drove it very gingerly except on rare occasions. The car only has 59,000 miles. I Got my aftermarket wideband hooked back up with the new exhaust and the A/F ratios are running 15 and higher at idle and jump to 17 randomly, super super rich. I changed my oil to 5w50 just to try and get pressure built up and its doing something very odd. After warm up it stays and 20-25 psi but when you rev the car the oil pressure actually drops and no matter what you do the psi will not exceed 30 aside from cold start where it hits anywhere from 90-110 then slowly drops as the car get hotter. what are you thinking? any ideas or suggestions would be outstanding.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:43 PM
pss350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rarely, I kept my shift light at 6500 rpms and tried to shift at around 6500 rpms when doing any sort of enthusiastic driving, of corse I let it bounce off the rev limiter when smoking a set of tires but that wasn't for any more than a few seconds and I only did it twice. The car hasn't been beat on at the track, and I always drove it very gingerly except on rare occasions. The car only has 59,000 miles. I Got my aftermarket wideband hooked back up with the new exhaust and the A/F ratios are running 15 and higher at idle and jump to 17 randomly, super super rich. I changed my oil to 5w50 just to try and get pressure built up and its doing something very odd. After warm up it stays and 20-25 psi but when you rev the car the oil pressure actually drops and no matter what you do the psi will not exceed 30 aside from cold start where it hits anywhere from 90-110 then slowly drops as the car get hotter. what are you thinking? any ideas or suggestions would be outstanding.
15-17 AFR is not super rich, 14.7 is ideal burn so anything above that is considered LEAN. 17 sounds quite high for a car that isn't tuned for outright fuel economy.

Last edited by pss350z; 07-16-2015 at 06:10 AM. Reason: wrong word was used, LEAN not RICH
Old 07-15-2015, 04:42 PM
illphildawg21

Originally Posted by pss350z
15-17 AFR is not super rich, 14.7 is ideal burn so anything above that is considered rich. 17 sounds quite high for a car that isn't tuned for outright fuel economy.
exactly, it's running rich, for no apparent reason. Something is up with my car and no mechanic, or anyone on the form has been able to figure it out.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:59 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

exactly, it's running rich, for no apparent reason. Something is up with my car and no mechanic, or anyone on the form has been able to figure it out.
17:1 is extremely lean not rich

Quick Reply: Hr oil pump failure?