Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Boiled my clutch fluid yesterday ('08 HR)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 03:46 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Default Boiled my clutch fluid yesterday ('08 HR)

Got stuck on the interstate for an hour and a half, nothing but 1st gear and idling all the way, and in the back of my mind I was thinking about the clutch. Made it home OK and parked in the garage, but I guess the heat soak continued and even the Ate Super Blue couldn't take it. Next morning, the pedal goes right to the floor.

Luckily, it wasn't too bad to fix, and I did a gravity bleed with ~5 reservoirs of new Super Blue, and let me tell you, it's a slooooooow process. The first reservoir, which pushed out most of the air went through in maybe 5 minutes, but once it's all fluid flowing through the tiny orifices in the MC and the bleeder, a reservoir can take well over an hour, or more. Result - nice, firm pedal, just as before (I've got the RJM 3.3 clutch pivot), and I used the extra time to pressure bleed the Brembo's with the rest of the Super Blue, which is sadly my last can. I even had time to watch replays of the China F1 and Long Beach Indy qualifying on my iPad, so it wasn't a bad day. I had planned to try a reverse flush, if needed, but I'd read about the gravity bleed, so I thought I'd give it a try.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:52 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

As long as there's no leak from the CSC, a good bleed should suffice. How old was the Super Blue?
The following users liked this post:
dcains (04-09-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 05:56 PM
dcains

No fluid missing from the reservoir, and the underside of the car is squeaky-clean. No drips on the garage floor, either. The fluid was less than 2 years old, probably Fall '15, if I remember correctly. I don't change it as often as I do the brake fluid, and this car is never tracked, and is rarely in that sort of traffic.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:41 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Interesting- your ATS fluid should have been relatively fresh with less than 18 months on it. That's MORE often than I change the clutch fluid in my T3 Z33 HR race car. Despite heavy use at the racetrack, I rarely have any heat soak/boiling problems.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:28 AM
dcains

I've never had this problem before, but it was pretty damn hot here, and traffic was barely moving for at least 90 minutes. Only the flex line is insulated, but the hard line, closest to the cat on that side isn't, so maybe that was the issue? Regardless, problem solved, as I just got back from a nice Spring morning drive, about an hour on back roads having some fun, and the clutch is perfect. Now to take the old BMW 635 out for a run. Just got out of the hospital (23 days), so the cars have been sitting for too long (me, too), and they need the exercise. I know you know what that's like.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:20 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dcains
Just got out of the hospital (23 days), so the cars have been sitting for too long (me, too), and they need the exercise. I know you know what that's like.
Yikes! A hospital stay of eight days was more than enough for me (you don't want to see what the ICU bill was). I can't even imagine 23 days. Hope you are doing better!
Old 04-09-2017, 08:11 AM
dcains

I had an infection in my ankle that required several IV antibiotics, complicated by the fact that I have a suppressed immune system. Boredom, more than anything else, was the worst part, and the food, of course. I'm a critical care nurse myself, so I had lots of friends there, but still 23 days is a long stint, and a record for me. I was only an inpatient for 4 days when I got my kidney-pancreas transplant exactly 16 years ago.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:59 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Glad you're out (and I assume that ankle infection is quelled) and testing all your cars again. It took almost nine weeks (and several tests) before I was allowed to drive (on the street) once again. THAT was a long enough stint, and not the sort of record you'd want to set!