Notices
West Canada British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Mantitoba, etc.

How Is Calgary?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:52 PM
nissan350zfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a lawyer living in Edmonton. The boom in on in Alberta, thanks to our abundant oilsands that have tens of billions of dollars of capital investments committed over the coming decades. Life is good... for some.

If you are a professional or trades person that will benefit from the boom, then Alberta is the place for you. However, if you are employed in a position that may not benefit from the boom directly, then the cost of living may be prohibitive. Service and Retail employees are particularly hard hit by increasing cost of housing and other services.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:13 PM
apharmdb

Had to do the inspections and day time running lights when I moved to BC from California, as well as have the pink slip handy for customs to show that I didn't have a lien on the car. But I did not have to pay any taxes or duties upon import. Main reason is because I'm on a work permit and theoretically can go back to the US at anytime. Now I would have to pay duties should I sell the car here but that's a different matter. I'm also in the process of applying for permanent residency - and a customs agent told me that I would be expempt from import duties, even if I sell, 2 years after obtaining that status. That was told to me face to face but I haven't looked into it further so I can't verify 100%.

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
The Z will cost a bit to bring in but they are expensive to buy up here so bring it a new one is about $50,000. To bring it in you must have all recalls done on the car and get a recall clearence letter from Nissan USA, you must have the title saying its clear of all liens/loans. All paper work must be faxed to the boarder I think its 72hrs before you arrive there with the car(you should google importing cars into Canada to get all that is required its been 2yrs since I did mine). The cost will be 6% GST and 6% duty in your case since you owned the car in the US I am not sure how that works. When you get to Canada you also have to pass an out of country inspection so you will have to get Day time running lights wired in and you will have to pass an out of Province inspection more or less just a safety inspection. Search on this fourm a few people have asked questions on importing cars it is common because they are much cheaper to buy in the US.

Last edited by apharmdb; 08-05-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:08 AM
SwivelMan

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
Yeah I used to live in Calgary and visit yearly.
It's a great place over all. As mentioned before, the weather will be a huge shock. It's very unpredictable there. -40 C in the winter and + 30 C in the summer sometimes. (We all use metric here) It's also super dry. I find moving visiting from Ontario I have to drink 13 L of water a day. The cost of living and taxes are HUGE in Canada and particularly Calgary because of the oil boom compared to the US. Cars are also way more expensive which sucks. Some people where cowboy hats and cowboy boots which is crazy. Related to that point, they frickin' love their country music in Calgary.
That's about all the weird Calgary facts I can think of right now.

Yes you can see the Rockies on the horizon. I think Banff is about a 45 minute drive to the West. You should visit for a week and see what it's all about.
Good advice, just not during Stampede -- that's not representative of the other 51 weeks of the year. Lots of drunk people in bad cowboy outfits. I guess country music is popular here, but there's a decent rock/blues/alternative scene here too. (I hate C&W)
Old 08-12-2008, 04:22 AM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Haha, I just noticed I said "where" cowboy boots, not "wear".
Old 08-12-2008, 06:31 AM
xp350z

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
Haha, I just noticed I said "where" cowboy boots, not "wear".

lol i didnt even notice it....but thanks alot for all the info and input on here...right now the only thing holding me back pretty much is selling mi casa.....which is tough right now down here...
Old 08-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xp350z
lol i didnt even notice it....but thanks alot for all the info and input on here...right now the only thing holding me back pretty much is selling mi casa.....which is tough right now down here...
Where in Florida ocean front? I am looking to buy my retirement home in the next year or so. Florida is on the list of places I am considering I really like Destin FL I was think of that area.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:11 AM
xp350z

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Where in Florida ocean front? I am looking to buy my retirement home in the next year or so. Florida is on the list of places I am considering I really like Destin FL I was think of that area.

Destin is pretty nice place...I live in Jacksonville Tho...its not so nice here really...beaches arent as nice...and lots of people and traffic. Im sure you know how the weather is..since you already have a place picked out.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:58 AM
chopstixx

CALGARY ROCKS...
i go on vacation around the world every 6 months
i have a house in Dubai, India, have relatives in England
but in the end i love coming back to calgary to enjoy the peace and quiet
Its a good place to live.. can be boring.. but thats when u get more time for ur car
Old 08-18-2008, 03:59 AM
xp350z

Originally Posted by chopstixx
CALGARY ROCKS...
i go on vacation around the world every 6 months
i have a house in Dubai, India, have relatives in England
but in the end i love coming back to calgary to enjoy the peace and quiet
Its a good place to live.. can be boring.. but thats when u get more time for ur car

thats what i need..more time
Old 08-20-2008, 10:39 AM
nex

I grew up in Calgary for most of my years and I just moved out to Kelowna.. Calgary is an amazing city! lots of nightlife! lots of car enthusiasts and alot of shopping and eating aswell! traffic can be hectic but nothing to what you would be compared too! Even our ghetto neighborhoods are nothing in comparision to what the U.S. has.. you can walk around anywhere at night and feel safe.

For more info check out www.beyond.ca it's a Calgary based car forum with 20,000+ members...
Just another site for more questions!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:39 PM
gorillagoggles

I've been in Calgary most my life and now am in 2nd year Uni
The city has alot to offer like everyone else has mentioned. Mountains are a
45 minute drive and offer alot of winter/summer fun, whether it be skiing,
snowboarding, biking. Some really good bars and clubs downtown. Really
nice chill areas like 17th for coffee and such. Very clean and tidy city for the
most part however there's always a downside. Because of how quickly
Calgary's growing, crime is on the raise, along with drug trade, poverty, and
gang growth. It's nothing compared to bigger cities in the states, but for
Canada it is fairly bad. Calgary's a wealthy city with a lot of "Tony Montana
Wannabee's." All that said there's tons to do, see, and discover in Alberta
and with no PST and out of debt it's a nice place to live. Any questions feel
free to ask man, cheers
Old 09-22-2008, 12:15 PM
MadeIn350z

Originally Posted by xp350z
Calgary is pretty good. Like some others have mentioned its pretty much a working town. There are lots of bars and restaurants out there but once you've been to all of them and get tired of the night life (which you will in Calgary) all your left with is outdoor activities (we have like 5 skiing/boarding resorts within an hour drive from the city as well as dozens of lakes, biking and hiking trails) and the occasional concerts etc. Crime has gone up a lot in Calgary but in comparison to major US cities we are still not even close. If you pick a good neighborhood you will pretty much only be reading about it in the paper. No offense to anyone out there but stay away from the NE part of Calgary haha. Best neighborhoods you will find in the NW.

Regarding cars... man there are some rich motha fukkaz around now... probably made all their money from stock options at the big oil firms... but you see them riding around Bentley, Maserati, Lambos etc...

One more thing Florida has a lot of in comparison to Calgary hot girls (my opinion haha). hahaha I know this is prob not why your moving up here... but if you've lived in Calgary most of your life it really blows!
Old 10-04-2008, 08:46 PM
xtrema

Originally Posted by MadeIn350z
Best neighborhoods you will find in the NW.
but if you've lived in Calgary most of your life it really blows!
This guy tells the truth. Except all 4 quadrants of the city have bad neighborhoods, it's just that NE is almost ALL bad.

Any neighborhoods that has million dollar homes (even yours is not) usually are good. And most of our communities are not gated even with million dollar homes.

Calgary used to be a small peaceful city. Crime comes with money, it's inevitable. But as long as you stay out of the clubs, don't touch drugs and you're safe.

Public transit sucks and hopefully you don't work downtown because parking can be anywhere from $300-$800/month.

The only saving grace is that Alberta only has 5% GST sales tax. Least of all Canadian provinces.

I'll be more fun if you love winter sports and nature in general. Mountain and ski hills are close. But you're not likely to drive you Z 6 months of the year without some winter tires. And if you love your Z, buy a beater for winter. We sand our road on snow days and lots of idiots on the road that don't use winters or know how to drive in winter.