Notices
West Canada British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Mantitoba, etc.

How Is Calgary?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:36 AM
xp350z

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts
Default How Is Calgary?

Ive seen a couple of people on here that live in calgary...I was wondering if any of you can give me a bit more info about it. Like about crime, city life...etc...Do you like it?Hate it? Is it boring city? fun? Thanks in advance....

P.S I ask cause I might be transfered over there soon.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from Florida you will find it cold. Things will be very expensive from what you are used of. I find it a fun city lots of pubs to hang out at downtown. It is a small city compaired to most US cities and you are close to the mountains if you are into outdoor activites.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:10 PM
xp350z

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Coming from Florida you will find it cold. Things will be very expensive from what you are used of. I find it a fun city lots of pubs to hang out at downtown. It is a small city compaired to most US cities and you are close to the mountains if you are into outdoor activites.

hmm cold...I can handle...i love the cold. and the how far away are the mountaions? Can you see them from the city?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 PM
apharmdb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a fellow American who moved to Canada (Vancouver in my case), I can tell you that the biggest shock is the tax rate. I mean I prepared myself by doing the research etc. and I knew what it would look like come pay check time, but it's still shocking. Goods seem to be more expensive, at least in BC and we get hit extra hard here with an additional sales tax. But the upside is my neighborhood is the safest feeling place I've ever lived, and that's my main priority now that I have young kids. Calgary felt much the same where I really didn't sweat walking around late at night in downtown. It's a stereotype, but I think Canadians are much more open and friendly compared to folks in California. It's a different vibe, but so far I'm happier with just about all aspects of life compared to living in California. Not a 100% Calgary focused post but I it made me think about my situation where I was choosing between Vancouver and Orlando when I was looking for a transfer. Good luck with the decision.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:59 AM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ Glad you like it up here.

Most citys in Western Canada will be very much the same, and yes taxes up here are something you have to get used to. In Alberta, if you sum up all your taxes it adds up to about 48%, and yes you can see the mountains from Calgary. Crime is minimal, and if you get in to a nice neighbourhood you will love it. A nice house will cost you a crap load though, that's something else you will have to get used to. I'm in a nice place in Edmonton (2.5h north of Calgary) and it's costing me $480,000. However, you won't have any trouble finding a job in Calgary, or anywhere else in Alberta for that matter.

Good luck with your move.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:25 AM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Yeah I used to live in Calgary and visit yearly.
It's a great place over all. As mentioned before, the weather will be a huge shock. It's very unpredictable there. -40 C in the winter and + 30 C in the summer sometimes. (We all use metric here) It's also super dry. I find moving visiting from Ontario I have to drink 13 L of water a day. The cost of living and taxes are HUGE in Canada and particularly Calgary because of the oil boom compared to the US. Cars are also way more expensive which sucks. Some people where cowboy hats and cowboy boots which is crazy. Related to that point, they frickin' love their country music in Calgary.
That's about all the weird Calgary facts I can think of right now.

Yes you can see the Rockies on the horizon. I think Banff is about a 45 minute drive to the West. You should visit for a week and see what it's all about.

Last edited by 2TH PWR; 07-31-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:33 AM
xp350z

wow iam liking the sound of it by the minute.....i guess i will have to get used to the taxes....sounds bad. Only thing im not gonna like is the move....the 2 day travel up there (if its non stop) aayyee....but other than that i need to take a trip up there....it does sound nice.....Now how much is it to bring the Z into the country? Do any of you know?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:38 AM
apharmdb

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
Some people where cowboy hats and cowboy boots which is crazy. Related to that point, they frickin' love their country music in Calgary.
Lol - I was there for the Calgary Stampede so cowboy gear was everywhere! As stated Banff and Lake Louise would be awesome places to visit. We stayed there on our trip back to Vancouver and it was well worth it.

Other little things I liked about Calgary include:

*"+15 walkways", name for what is essentially an elevated covered sidewalks you can use to go through downtown. I can see how these really help in the winter. Connects shopping, hotels, etc.

*Shopping district by the Calgary tower (sorry I forgot the street). Closed to most traffic and is open air. Lots of restaurants, stores, and bars. Sort of remindes me of the Santa Monica Promenade if you've been there, but more quaint and personal.

*Not sure if you have kids but if you do the city of Drumheller is about 1.5 hours away. It's a dinosaur museum with very detailled exhibits, workshops for kids - and adults , and an actual dig site. Pretty cool for sure.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:00 AM
xp350z

Originally Posted by apharmdb
Lol - I was there for the Calgary Stampede so cowboy gear was everywhere! As stated Banff and Lake Louise would be awesome places to visit. We stayed there on our trip back to Vancouver and it was well worth it.

Other little things I liked about Calgary include:

*"+15 walkways", name for what is essentially an elevated covered sidewalks you can use to go through downtown. I can see how these really help in the winter. Connects shopping, hotels, etc.

*Shopping district by the Calgary tower (sorry I forgot the street). Closed to most traffic and is open air. Lots of restaurants, stores, and bars. Sort of remindes me of the Santa Monica Promenade if you've been there, but more quaint and personal.

*Not sure if you have kids but if you do the city of Drumheller is about 1.5 hours away. It's a dinosaur museum with very detailled exhibits, workshops for kids - and adults , and an actual dig site. Pretty cool for sure.

wow....you guys wouldnt happen to have any pics of these things would ya?? lol
Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 AM
240Zplus110

Originally Posted by apharmdb
7th Ave is closed to traffic because of the light rail commuter train (C-Train) and 8th Ave (a.k.a. Stephen Ave) is closed around the Calgary tower -- lots of great places to eat and a huge sports Bar, Flames Central (used to be a theatre)... and great Alberta steaks served at many locations

Downtown has changed quite a bit in the past years. Still mostly a communter town with the downtown core mostly closing on the weekends, but that is changing with more residences being built such as in the Eau Claire area. I also believe that their ChinaTown area is the third largest in Canada -- so lots of great asian food.

The demographics consist of alot of young urban professionals and young families -- come to Alberta to make money in the booming Oil industry. Huge subdivisions being built -- more every time I visit (3-4 times a year). Walking the downtown during lunch it is obvious that there is a huge 20 to 30-something crowd.

Last edited by 240Zplus110; 07-31-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by xp350z
wow iam liking the sound of it by the minute.....i guess i will have to get used to the taxes....sounds bad. Only thing im not gonna like is the move....the 2 day travel up there (if its non stop) aayyee....but other than that i need to take a trip up there....it does sound nice.....Now how much is it to bring the Z into the country? Do any of you know?
The Z will cost a bit to bring in but they are expensive to buy up here so bring it a new one is about $50,000. To bring it in you must have all recalls done on the car and get a recall clearence letter from Nissan USA, you must have the title saying its clear of all liens/loans. All paper work must be faxed to the boarder I think its 72hrs before you arrive there with the car(you should google importing cars into Canada to get all that is required its been 2yrs since I did mine). The cost will be 6% GST and 6% duty in your case since you owned the car in the US I am not sure how that works. When you get to Canada you also have to pass an out of country inspection so you will have to get Day time running lights wired in and you will have to pass an out of Province inspection more or less just a safety inspection. Search on this fourm a few people have asked questions on importing cars it is common because they are much cheaper to buy in the US.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:18 AM
xp350z

The Z will cost a bit to bring in but they are expensive to buy up here so bring it a new one is about $50,000. To bring it in you must have all recalls done on the car and get a recall clearence letter from Nissan USA, you must have the title saying its clear of all liens/loans. All paper work must be faxed to the boarder I think its 72hrs before you arrive there with the car(you should google importing cars into Canada to get all that is required its been 2yrs since I did mine). The cost will be 6% GST and 6% duty in your case since you owned the car in the US I am not sure how that works. When you get to Canada you also have to pass an out of country inspection so you will have to get Day time running lights wired in and you will have to pass an out of Province inspection more or less just a safety inspection. Search on this fourm a few people have asked questions on importing cars it is common because they are much cheaper to buy in the US.

Thanks alot for the information...ill be looking into this more. I def dont want to leave my baby behind.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:41 AM
BoostedProbe

I wonder if he has to pay PST because he is going to BC. I recently brought my up, and yes it's 6.1% + 5% GST. There is also an A/C charge of $100 and the RIV papers will cost about $220. Out of province ispetion was $180

You do have to have a Canadian resident address to bring it in though.

www.riv.ca is your friend, and feel free to call them as they are very helpfull.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:39 AM
240Zplus110

As far as I know... speaking to US friends that moved up here... you don't have to pay the duties and taxes as long as you owned it in the US for a while (not sure of how long). No different than bringing your other possessions with you.

You will need the recall letter and get inspections done along with the DRL's.

It's best to check with the Canadian customs and immigration site for exact requirements.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by 240Zplus110
As far as I know... speaking to US friends that moved up here... you don't have to pay the duties and taxes as long as you owned it in the US for a while (not sure of how long). No different than bringing your other possessions with you.
That seems correct so you will have a few hundred dollars in RIV fees and out of province inspection to pay for. When you get here let us know we will have to have a little get together its been awhile since we had one in Calgary. For the most part the Z owners on here dont come out at all ( I know you do Lloyd) but the G35 guys get together so I usually post it over here as well.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
I wonder if he has to pay PST because he is going to BC.
He is going to Calgary .

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 08-05-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:09 PM
BoostedProbe

He is going to Calgary .

Yup he is. For some reason, I was thingking BC.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:39 PM
xp350z

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
Yup he is. For some reason, I was thingking BC.

yeep.....So are most of you up there?? Or have lived there??
Old 08-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

i live about 1-1.5hrs north and the guys from Edmonton live another 1-1.5 hours north of me. Our last meet was held at my house because its central. We need to get Calgary RedDeer and Edmonton together in order to have a decent turn out. The other thing you will notice up here is there is only a small car scene .

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 08-05-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:49 PM
BoostedProbe

The car scene is not bad in Edmonton, especially at the track on a street legals night. Some night you can only get 2 runs in a 4 hour time slot, so there is a few cars. Also, every friday night there is a good size meet at united cycle just off of White ave. Usually there is a good turnout, about 50 cars. Not everybody can make it out every friday either, so it can vary.

Quick Reply: How Is Calgary?