Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Fishtailing w/new Michelin tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 02:55 PM
dtoma_nyc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fishtailing w/new Michelin tires

Anyone experiencing problems with new Michelin Pilot Sport tires? I am unable to take sharp turns like I use to with the stock Bridgestone tires. When I take a turn hard, the rear end of the car feels like its swinging around instead of actually gripping the road. An alignment was performed after the new tires were installed. I would appreciate any educated feedback.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:01 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Double check the tire pressures that the rears were inflated to. If you want, lower the tire pressure a few pounds. Maybe that can help.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:08 PM
SungNamZ

Which Pilot Sports? I am considering the Pilot Sport PS2 for my next tire.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:29 PM
ZBoater

I got the Pilot Sport A/S, but I also got the S-tune suspension at the same time, so it is hard to tell the effect of the tires. The car feels like its on rails now, and I have taken some pretty aggressive corners. Check the tire pressure.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:12 PM
RedBird

Default Re: Fishtailing w/new Michelin tires

Originally posted by dtoma_nyc
Anyone experiencing problems with new Michelin Pilot Sport tires? I am unable to take sharp turns like I use to with the stock Bridgestone tires. When I take a turn hard, the rear end of the car feels like its swinging around instead of actually gripping the road. An alignment was performed after the new tires were installed. I would appreciate any educated feedback.
I just got mine but havent put them on yet, I hope I don't have this problem.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:14 PM
dtoma_nyc

When I first got them put on they were great. I'll check the tire pressure in the morning. Maybe that's the problem.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:58 AM
dtoma_nyc

Checked the tire pressure this morning before taking the car out. The temperature outside this morning was in the 40s. The cold readings I'm getting are as follows: 32psi on the rear tires and 29psi on the front tires. I think all four should should have more air (or at least the front tires). However, I still don't think these readings would cause the car to feel like the back end is swinging around on sharp turns. Could this be an alignment problem... maybe the toe is not set right?? What pressure are others running in their pilot sport a/s tires? I appreciate the suggestions so far. I just want to get a clue what the hell is going on before I go waste my time with the Nissan service department (I'm there way too much).
Old 12-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Balls

Default Re: Fishtailing w/new Michelin tires

Originally posted by dtoma_nyc
the rear end of the car feels like its swinging around instead of actually gripping the road.
so does it "feel like its swinging around" or are you actually losing traction? Tell us what size rims/tires you have.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

give them 500 miles of driving to break them in...

atleast...
Old 12-05-2004, 02:37 AM
the7ferret

give them a few hundread miles or do a nice burnout to burn off the top layer of rubber.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:06 PM
KarmaMag

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 has very soft side wall. S-03 on the other hand, has a very stiff side wall.
I have PS2 now and LOVE the tires. Handle very nice on both wet and dry.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:38 PM
SmO69

Try some Hankook Ventus tires! NOT. I'm currently getting rid of these "powerwheel" tires cuz they suck so much. They fishtale on most turns, and have horrible traction. Now wonder they came in a wheel/tire package....
Old 12-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Skrill

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
give them 500 miles of driving to break them in...

atleast...
Jason is right.

The tires are coated with grease while in the mold -- so that the tire will serparate form the mold (kind of like how you spray Pam on a cookie sheet before baking cookies).

Some of the grease is still on the tire -- but it will wear off after a bit.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:38 AM
350zya

I have poilts on my car they grip way better then the stock tires!!
Old 12-06-2004, 04:25 AM
RedHerring

So when you cut into a turn, the rear end seems to move into the curve and then plant? Or are you really fishtailing?

I have the same tire on the back and they are almost impossible to rip lose from the road, the car "plants" the rear end on the line very predictably.

There is a little more movement than the stock tire, but less than the dunlops that I had on before. Like mentioned before, the tires are covered in grease. Degrease them, give em a couple of hundred miles, top up the air, then test them and you tell us what you find.

I am running 275/30-19 on the back. I like the tires, they work well in rain, but lets see how many miles I get out of them. The compound is rated at 420, almost twice what the dunlops were rated.

Last edited by RedHerring; 12-06-2004 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:40 AM
Tekwon-V

as stated by other members, it's definately needing to "break in" the tires.

you need to take it easy (or hard lol) for at least 500miles to get to the true tire surface.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:42 PM
mdracer76
Banned

be cautios.. you said you took a "cold" temp reading. The tires pressure will be less when the tires have not been heated by driving a few miles... you will see a rise in the tire pressure. I never take a cold reading of my Tire pressure. The other members here also have a point.. break'em in a bit.. see if they keep getting ***-out 500 miles later

g'luck
Old 12-06-2004, 10:35 PM
manofsteele2003

I think that the Michelins have a harder compound than other tires. I had them on my old civic and they were horrible in the rain, I would slide all over the road. I even had my moms old 85 Volvo doing fishtails in the rain with Michelin tires on it.

Those were both regular passenger tires, I am asuming that the high performance tires would be a bit softer. But overall I do think Michelins have a harder compound.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:53 PM
KarmaMag

Not this PS2. treadwear is only 220. One of the softest street tires out there.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:53 PM
zrdude

Umm, I thought most tire manufacturers actually recommend you take the tire pressure cold, rather than hot. Tire pressures are much more difficult to predict in varying degrees of "hot", thus you take the tire pressure cold preferably and for our cars (245/275/40/18) 32psi cold is supposed to be optimal.

Originally posted by mdracer76
be cautios.. you said you took a "cold" temp reading. The tires pressure will be less when the tires have not been heated by driving a few miles... you will see a rise in the tire pressure. I never take a cold reading of my Tire pressure. The other members here also have a point.. break'em in a bit.. see if they keep getting ***-out 500 miles later

g'luck

Quick Reply: Fishtailing w/new Michelin tires