Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Upper Control Arms...So hard to choose

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 01:32 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Control Arms...So hard to choose

Looking for you guys opinions on the best Control arms out there. Major emphasis on cost to performance factor.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:44 PM
myG35zx

The 350evo arms are outstanding. The adjustability and fit/finish are the best I have seen. I drive my G daily. My commute is 94 miles roundtrip and my tire wear is normal or very near. Before the tires feathered badly.

Road noises and vibrations are no different than before. The car does track much better and turn in is much more crisp. The steering wheel is cocked a bit to the right and there is a slight pull to the left. An alignment is needed for sure - I have no time!

The only true concern I have is the durability of the pivot points. They will most likely not last as long as the rubber. There is always a catch. I just plan to order extras and keep them handy.

The install was quite simple. I have a pretty robust selection of tools and it took me about 85 minutes to do both. The first was about 3/4 of the time. Learning curve I suppose. Just make sure to have a torque wrench. Sears has them for cheap money.

BTW, even with the arms the front tires are bit cambered, not much but the Eibachs sit LOW.

Best of luck,
Robert
Old 12-06-2004, 03:18 PM
MIAPLAYA

Awesome feedback...By pivot points do you mean the ball joint?
Old 12-06-2004, 05:23 PM
myG35zx

The ball joint and the points where the arms mount to the chassis. No rubber anywhere now.

I am still waiting for the sway bars. Hey downshift, did the supplier surface?

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
Awesome feedback...By pivot points do you mean the ball joint?
Old 12-07-2004, 05:48 AM
thebigsadler

Originally posted by myG35zx
BTW, even with the arms the front tires are bit cambered, not much but the Eibachs sit LOW.

Best of luck,
Robert
You can't get rid of your camber when you are on eibachs?? Did you adjust the a-arms to pull the camber out, or did you just slap them on?

It took me about an hour to do my Kinetix A-arms, my camber is absolutely perfect and my car is much lower.. JIC Coilovers, tucking tire on 20's. The Kinetix pieces have been known to give a little noise here and there, but you can't beat the customer service you get with them and the price is half of the 350evo pieces.

I am not knocking the 350evo pieces, they are of the utmost quality and look great. If they don't fix camber on a small eibach drop it's a waste of money in my opinion.

jason
Old 12-07-2004, 06:01 AM
myG35zx

I wouldn't say that 1.5" is a small drop. They are adjusted out all the way.

Yes, the Kinetix are less (I have their arms on the rear). But I would rather have solid construction holding my wheel in hard reapeated turns and repeated rough road driving. I have seen welds break (regardless of quality) and it is not pretty. My camber is fine, but I do need an alignment to check it.

There is massive force being exerted on the arms, I'll pay double for sure.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:34 AM
thebigsadler

Originally posted by myG35zx
I wouldn't say that 1.5" is a small drop. They are adjusted out all the way.

Yes, the Kinetix are less (I have their arms on the rear). But I would rather have solid construction holding my wheel in hard reapeated turns and repeated rough road driving. I have seen welds break (regardless of quality) and it is not pretty. My camber is fine, but I do need an alignment to check it.

There is massive force being exerted on the arms, I'll pay double for sure.
You think Kinetix would put a product out that welds would break on? hmm.. that sounds like a ton of lawsuits waiting to happen. 1.5" is a small drop, most people don't have any cambering with that drop. I agree that the 350evo arms are more well constructed, but if they don't pull the camber out of a 1.5" drop what is the point of using them if you are any lower? Yeah they look nice, but it doesn't add to your suspension adjustability, you may as well just shove a wad of $100 bills behind your wheels and get the same result.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:56 AM
myG35zx

As with all things manufactured, there are risks. Do I beleive that Kinetix deisnged the arms to fail? No. For the money the 350evo arms are a bargain. I manufacture steel products, and I can tell you that the work, design and materials in the 350evo arms are better.

I am all for saving money, but I would rather spend money for a better product. As I have said, on my car my camber before the arms was horrible. It looked as though I had several engines in the front. My camber is far better, if not corrected. I need to have another alignment, but I work from 530 am to 7 pm daily and the weekends are for the kids. On the other hand, I drive about 650 miles per week and have had new tires for two months. So approximately 5000 miles and the tires are wearing great. I will try to take a picture of the camber to give you an idea. I know that my car is much lower than stock. I never measured, 1.5 inches might be less than what it is.

I am not bashing Kinetix, I do use their rear lower arms, but the fronts do not appeal to me. Yes they may work, But if I used that philosophy I would be driving a Honda (like my wife).

A solid constructed part like the OEM is my choice. You chose the other path. I am sure the Kinetix arms are nice. Best of luck.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:19 AM
thebigsadler

I just want to make sure that no one spends $900 on a product that won't fix their camber. Granted the 350evo unit looks better, it doesn't give the adjustability. Who knows which one tests better, it's near impossible to tell. I know I can slide my car around and do donuts all day without worries.. In the end that's all that matters.

This is bad camber.. and this is low:

The fronts were adjusted and set to zero camber, while the rears were not adjusted yet. Everything is within spec now, needed some SPC toe-bolts though.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:48 AM
myG35zx

You are speaking in absolutes. Before making your judgments a better understanding of the products may be in order. If you researched them, I congratulate you. But stating that the 350evos do not work is wrong. They may not work for you, they certainly work me. And I am not sure doing donuts is a proven test method. LOL Your G looks nice, too low for me though. I wouldn't get in my parking lot.

I would rather install test track proven products. My wife and children ride in my G and I routinely travel at 80-90 mph on the highway (alone). Again, I am sure the Kinetix arms are nice and they appear to have eliminated the front camber problems you must have obviously had. They cost less for a reason: less time to manufacture, less costly materials and less dependent on outside help. I thought about buying these initially. But decided against it for the above reasons.

Tubular metal is not as strong as box, most of the time.

On a side note, How did you join all pictures on one reply? Got a side shot of your car?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:08 AM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We designed our front control arms to do many things.
1st and foremost is Strength, Safety, Reliability and Quality
This was our # 1 focus. Both for the street and the extreme conditions that we race / test our products in. We went through multiple variations of front arms before focusing in on this design. Racing is one of the best ways to test products. The wear and tear we put on a race car through one weekend is equal to months of road testing. The stress levels are much higher for longer sustained periods of time
2nd Function
As we were the first team in North America to professionally race the 350Z. We were also the first ones to hurdle the obstacles.....such as not being able to adjust the camber up front.
We also wanted to make the arms work for the street. This meant that we needed to focus on being able to adjust as much possible camber back out of the car without the ball joint bottoming out when the suspension is compressed. This will allow lowered cars to get within factory front camber specs. I would go on record as saying our design does just that.
3rd...ease of adjustment. The slider plate design is easily adjustable so camber changes can be made quick and smoothly. At the track there is no time to waste during short practice session this allows for more time on the track and less time adjusting in the pits.
4th Looks......Yes they are hidden in the front fenders and not readily visible to the eye......But we wanted something that was nice to look at to complete our goal.
There was a lot that went into the design our front control arms as with all our products.
350EVO front control arms are truly designed, developed, tested and proven through motorsports
If you have any question
BJ@350EVO.com
Old 12-07-2004, 10:14 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by dwnshift
We designed our front control arms to do many things.
1st and foremost is Strength, Safety, Reliability and Quality
This was our # 1 focus. Both for the street and the extreme conditions that we race / test our products in. We went through multiple variations of front arms before focusing in on this design. Racing is one of the best ways to test products. The wear and tear we put on a race car through one weekend is equal to months of road testing. The stress levels are much higher for longer sustained periods of time
2nd Function
As we were the first team in North America to professionally race the 350Z. We were also the first ones to hurdle the obstacles.....such as not being able to adjust the camber up front.
We also wanted to make the arms work for the street. This meant that we needed to focus on being able to adjust as much possible camber back out of the car without the ball joint bottoming out when the suspension is compressed. This will allow lowered cars to get within factory front camber specs. I would go on record as saying our design does just that.
3rd...ease of adjustment. The slider plate design is easily adjustable so camber changes can be made quick and smoothly. At the track there is no time to waste during short practice session this allows for more time on the track and less time adjusting in the pits.
4th Looks......Yes they are hidden in the front fenders and not readily visible to the eye......But we wanted something that was nice to look at to complete our goal.
There was a lot that went into the design our front control arms as with all our products.
350EVO front control arms are truly designed, developed, tested and proven through motorsports
If you have any question
BJ@350EVO.com
Group Buy?
Old 12-07-2004, 06:14 PM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are on X-MAS sale right now for $806.00.
Cheers
BJ@350EVO.com