Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Threading, Noise Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Faluzure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Threading, Noise Question

For those of you that don't know, I just recently purchased a used '04 Performance 350Z Coupe w/ 7400 miles and I love it. I've read the forums front and back and even did a search on "feathering".

Since I didn't have my Z at the beginning, I can't base any judgment on it. However, I've driven it for 600 miles already and I noticed road noise the day I bought it. However, everyone told me it was just because the tires were big. I brushed it off and as I read the forums more and more, I notice all this talk about tire roar/rumble & feathering. One post had pictures of feathering and everyone talked about how it was unbearable.

So I got out of my chair and examined my Z and noticed no wear or anything on the inside of the tires. They look perfectly normal (not like the pictures of feathered tires I saw). I guess my question is, how loud is this "roar" supposed to be? I guess I'm overworrying about all this because I don't know what "normal road noise" is supposed to sound like in my car since I bought it used. Driving it around in the city, I hear lots of road noise but I can't hear it when my stereo stays on about the volume 12 setting.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:25 PM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any complaint about road noise, but I came from a stripped interior Honda before. I would have to say it is normal. What I would suggest is finding another 350Z in that area and drive it and see if it sounds the same.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Faluzure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm not actually complaining either, but everyone seems to have talked about it so much... it just got me really worried (perhaps for no reason).

Maybe I should get a tape recorder so you guys can hear it. I drove a 2000 Nissan Altima before my 350Z. The 2000 Altima had lots of road noise too, but the Z is louder (obviously). The fact that I have no wear on the inside of my front tires makes me think I'm not being afflicted by the 'feathering' problem and that the noise I'm hearing is natural from the car's tires. I drive this car everday (as it is my primary and only means of transportation).

As for finding another Z, there is only one other I've seen in town (a base '04 Daytona Blue 350Z). I rarely see it and I never have time to flag that owner down. If I do run into a Z owner, I'll ask him/her about their road noise.