Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

SSR bankrupt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 07:21 PM
xxlbeerZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Notice guys who actually race say they fail, I would tend to believe them. What particular reason would they have to lie?

Not everything is good just because it comes from Japan.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:36 PM
kzshin

that depend which rims to chose to race also. Kinda like if you chose some chessy Enkeis instead NT03-M to race, and bend it, then saying Enkei is not a good wheel company. I think that's not really fair.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:31 AM
ALong

Kzshin,
The GT300 350Z DOES NOT have anything in common with a road 350Z except the sheetmetal for the roof and firewall and the engine block, everything else is completly different. The front end is a semi-tube frame, the bodywork is of course completely different along with the transmission, suspension etc. Get your facts straight, it is obvious that you do not know a lot about any racing series (How could you not have heard of Turner Motorsports 2003-2004 World Challenge Touring Champions).

Just because a racecar has a sticker on the side of it advertising a company does not mean that company builds race-ready parts. Look at the Endless 350Z in JGTC, it DOES NOT USE Endless brakes, it uses AP Racing!! The CUSCO A-arm is an OK part but it is not a race part or race ready part, for that you would need the 350EVO control arm.

The SSR wheels used in JGTC are completely different than the road SSR wheels, as stated by Z1 they are a 1 -piece forged magnesium wheel with a center-lock hub.

The "street" SSR wheels are a good value for the $$ but as said before, they are on the soft side, I know a number of race teams that have used them and they work well as long as you dont hammer over a curb or drop a wheel off the track otherwise they are prone to damage.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:45 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll ask a question. What wheel DO you guys recommend for track use? CCW's? BBS's?

I think the Unitech Z's run CCW's.

If the tax man is real nice this year, I may splurge.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:36 AM
Luke@tirerack

Originally posted by ALong
The SSR wheels used in JGTC are completely different than the road SSR wheels, as stated by Z1 they are a 1 -piece forged magnesium wheel with a center-lock hub.

The "street" SSR wheels are a good value for the $$ but as said before, they are on the soft side, I know a number of race teams that have used them and they work well as long as you dont hammer over a curb or drop a wheel off the track otherwise they are prone to damage.
well this information is factually incorrect ...

the wheels are semi solid forged just like the street version

the wheels are aluminum just like the street version

they do use a center lock mounting system

and they are a 2-piece welded wheel which in street form is called the Competition H

but, they are built to different specifications per the race teams requirement

SSR and their unique SSF technology have made an impact on motorsports, in particular with their recent introduction of the Hybrid wheel ("Comp-H" in the U.S./"Type C-RS" in Japan). The only difference between the wheels used on the JGTC racecars and those sold by The Tire Rack are the finishes and the design for mounting to car (center lock on JGTC racecars and multiple lug bolts/nuts on the Comp-H).

The Hybrid wheel uses a specially made SSF center disk/outer lip assembly that is lap-welded to a T6061 forged and spun inner rim section to achieve the Hybrid’s specific widths and diameters. This increases the size range to 19” in diameter and over 13” in width. The material dimensions for both areas using SSF and T6061 materials are modified as compared to the 1-piece SSF wheel, to achieve balance and increased strength for motorsports use.

As with all SSR wheels, the wheels used on the track follow the JWL/VIA testing procedures. Track wheels are tested, though, with increased load and cycle values.

Racecar drivers have noted that on the track, the SSF wheels (Comp-H) have a decidedly noticeable feel. The wheels are designed to give the driver and team the most advantage possible and their six-spoke styling is ergonomically designed for ease of handling. In the pits, tire changes are made easier because the spokes are convenient to hold at the right installation angle (not possible with a mesh wheel).

The ability to absorb tremendous impact and not shatter is another priority in the design of the wheel. The six-spoke design distributes impact energy throughout the wheel rather than focusing it on any particular place. This is where design balance pays off. JGTC drivers have wheels built specifically for their driving needs, “tuning” the feel of the chassis by tuning the wheels. SSR takes this input and modifies the design for the driver.

SSR Motorsports History

1971: SSR established

1976: Began involvement in motorsports in the Formula 2000 with driver Kunimitsu

1977: F2000 Championship

1980: All-Japan Enduro Race (Taikyu)

1981: Grand Champion Series Championship (Japan)

1985: Formula One supplier to Leyton House (test wheels)

1992: Le Mans and 24 Hours of Daytona, Nissan Group C 1st/2nd place finishes, 3rd Porsche (all with SSR wheels)

1996: Le Mans Team Kunimitsu NSX

2002-2004: JGTC

2003: Introduction of Type C-RS (Comp-H) in JGTC

2003: Championship GT300 JGTC Team Hasemi 350Z

and here is a picture of the one sitting not more than 15 feet from my desk

Old 02-11-2005, 06:51 AM
ALong

Luke, I stand corrected when it comes to the material the wheel is made out of (Mag vs Aluminum) however my statement that the JGTC wheel is different, ie: made to a different spec, you confirmed, "built to different specifications per the race teams requirements."

Please understand that we are not bashing SSR, they make a good product for the $$. What we are trying to establish is that what you see on the racecar is not EXACTLY what you get for your street car.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Luke@tirerack

actually, if you read all of the responses ... most of which have some sort of inaccuracy, there is alot of bashing SSR with falsehoods and incorrect info ... sorry, that's the way I see it .... I am not here to defend them just offer the correct facts which in some cases does look like I am defending them but in reality I only have stated the facts ... not a bunch of hearsay
Old 02-11-2005, 09:10 PM
ReavTek

Originally posted by Luke@tirerack
yes I do ... here's some pictures just to keep thread thread interesting

I really like this picture ... look at the right front wheel

can you say "throttle induced oversteer"

You get paid... to drive like a friggin nut in front of your work?!!? What the hell... Um, I'm a college student and well I'm honest and I love cars, I think I'd make a great addition to the Tire Rack family.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:36 AM
Luke@tirerack

yep .... I host alot of the AutoX's on our test track and since I'm here I might as well drive ...
Old 02-12-2005, 03:32 PM
kzshin

WELL DONE LUKE. Prop for you to clear up the fact.

Too many statments like this:
the SSR's used in JGTC have nothing in common with their street wheels though.
can't believed it actually came from a place that offered SSR wheels.

however my statement that the JGTC wheel is different, ie: made to a different spec, you confirmed, "built to different specifications per the race teams requirements."
Okay, this is very very weak. That's like saying because the wheel size of SP1 for NSX are different than the SP1 for 350Z, so the they are different. If you look up TIRE RACK's website, there were sooo many different size for the SAME wheel.

What we are trying to establish is that what you see on the racecar is not EXACTLY what you get for your street car.
no one said they are always exactly the same, you and Z1 really need to learn how to read. However, the company that are able to produce parts for 1st rated world class race team do have the technology to build better parts. That's why Kinetix's control A-arm for street Z are so different in quality than CUSCO control A-arm for street Z. And in some case, Manufactures do offered the same part used on the race car.

(How could you not have heard of Turner Motorsports 2003-2004 World Challenge Touring Champions).
Cuz I only pay attention to something like F1, Le Man, WRC, JGTC. And judging by your knowledge of SSR. You probably don't know much about HASEMI, ADVAN racing team, Calsonic, ESSO, Panasonic/Toyota....etc.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:46 PM
ALong

kzshin,
I stand by my orignal statements, the SSR race wheel and street wheel are different, Luke confirmed this, differences can include thickness of the rim halves, thickness and contours of the spokes etc, if you look at the picture that Luke posted of the race wheel and compare it to a street wheel THERE ARE SOME NOTICABLE DIFFERENCES. I worked in the wheel industry for a number of years and can tell you that race wheels, with a few exceptions, are built to different specs than road wheels.

As far as following F1, LeMans, JGTC, team Hasemi etc, I know far more about racing in general, these series and the technical specs than you will every know. That is quite obvious by your previous statements that the GT300 350Z is a close resemblance to our cars, the only thing they have in common is the roof panel and the engine block and the fact that they have four wheels!! Otherwise THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

If you dont follow World Challenge then you are really missing out. Without a doubt one of the best race series in the World, maybe if you open your mind a little you will see there are a lot of good racing series out there besides JGTC.....
Old 02-12-2005, 06:10 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

ALong, your trunk doesn't look like mine?
Old 02-12-2005, 06:17 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Forgot the pix......

Sorry I had to shrink the sh*t out of the pix to post......
Attached Thumbnails SSR bankrupt?-my-boot-70-of-70-.jpg  
Old 02-12-2005, 10:03 PM
ssk0771

This was very interesting disccussion. I learn alot about SSR. I new that they were well known brand in Japan but I did not know SSR's were that famous

Maybe I'll keep my SSR GT3 wheels. Who know, it may become collectors item since SSR is filing bankruptcy!!!!!

Old 02-12-2005, 10:59 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by John
Well, I'm going to be the bad guy here...

I have never been impressed with SSR wheels. I have seen many of bent and cracked wheels at the track, and many race teams have dropped SSR over the past several years.

SSR = Overrated.
i second this.
SSR's forged technology aint this good.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:27 AM
OgreDave

Welp, whoever knows me .. they know I've got a zillion rims. Anyone who's come by to pick up stuff being parted off my SC'd Maxima & has seen my garage has seen the SSRs & Volks. I currently have 3 sets of Rays/Volks and 2.5 sets of SSR's (one of them was sold to me as just 2 18x8 Integrals). Before that I had 5 sets (2 Nismos), and 3.5 SSR's. (Sold a set of Comp's off)

IMO, quality between SSR SSF vs Volk forged is the same. Driven on both, gotten flat on my SSR Integrals & Volk TE37's. Both bent a lil as I was doing 100+ both times .. but no cracking or anything like that. Just a nail and some weird flat piece of metal.

All the teams etc .. thats all 2nd hand info for me. I don't ride curbs, go offroading, etc. In fact, I don't even consider that as a valid argument. If you are treating rims that way, you don't deserve to have them last.

I'm a huge SSR fan. I had to defend them on the BMW forums when I was selling the Comps. A lot of ppl say theyre soft, but have never had first hand experience. Even worse, one of the morons who claimed it was soft was doing so to bring the price down. He kept making me offers via email while talking **** in the post. It was pathetic.

IMO, SSR is a great value, and for everyday driving, and any decent driver on a track, it's the freaking same. I've been tracking, but not lately .. I drive a commuter car and haven't touched anything performance (well, not installed) lately.

Haters, keep hating. That's how I get SSR Comps cheap anyways Ahahahha I'm on my 3rd set and I lovem! Cept the new one actually fits the Z & is CompH. Can't wait
Old 02-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Luke@tirerack

the Competion H is different than the Competition

* 2-piece hybrid construction
* Semi-solid, forged center precision lap-welded to a forged rim section
* 50% stronger with a 9% increase in hardness
* Larger diameters and widths now available using hybrid construction
* Available exclusively from The Tire Rack
Old 02-17-2005, 06:42 AM
ALong

EnthuZ,
Love that picture, LOL!, yea that JGTC 350Z looks just like mine......, wish you also had a picture of the front with the hood off...tube-frame with motor moved back about 6inches....

Maybe KZshin took a good look at that picture and realized he doesnt know what he is talking about.....
Old 02-17-2005, 06:49 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Took this of my engine as I was adjusting the pillow mounts....
Attached Thumbnails SSR bankrupt?-jgtc-engine.jpg  
Old 02-17-2005, 04:23 PM
ALong

Thanks Enthuz, as anyone can see there is still a lot of factory sheet metal left there......NOT!!