Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Sqealing coming from

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Janus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sqealing coming from

I have the 13.2 front and 12.9 rear stoptech bbk with Axxis pads... (Installed @ performance nissan)

The first chance I got (about 3 days) after I got them, went and found a nice long flat strip of road to bed them.

No sqealing whatsover.

After about 800 miles or so they started to squeal in (coming from the rears as far as I can tell.)

I PMed JRitt, and he suggested to try re-bedding them.

Well, the squealing comes right back, and I've tried rebedding them a third time too.

Some things I've noticed:

When I am slowing to a stop from 45mph, and I depress the brakes what I feel is half to 2/3rds the way down they squeal, if I depress it 1/3rd the way down they make a grinding/not quite squealing sound, and when I press it past 2/3rds (hard stop) they make normal stressed braking sounds.

The sound goes away when the brakes heat up from heavy use, but other than that they are horrible sounding.

So, either I'm not braking right, or something is wrong with my brakes I am thinking.

We are not talking soft sqealing. We are talking ear cringing sqealing.

I'll be honest, I don't know all that much about the nuances of brakes so I am appealing for help here =P

So if anyone can help me out and give me info that would be great!

I've been reading something about some anti-squealing spray people are using?

Matt.

Last edited by Janus; 04-01-2005 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:55 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normally the squealling actually comes from the backing plate of the brake pad and the piston of the caliper. That is why people use brake anti-squeak spray that is normally a thick blue spray that provides a kind of lubrication to prevent the contact causing the squealling. I have the 4 wheel 14" Stoptech kit, and my car also squeaks some times when coming to a stop, but it doesn't do it that often and like you said it is normally when the brakes are cold. I just live with it since they are high performance brakes. I don't want to go spraying blue stuff on the pads and those beautiful calipers.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Janus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine squeal all the time, pretty loudly... and the frequency and volume is increasing, which is why I am worried.