Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Best way to remove pad deposits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 06:17 PM
bigdaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to remove pad deposits?

Like the title states....what is the best way to remove pad smear/deposits from the rotors? Sandpaper (composition, grit #)? Get them turned? What?

I had a set of HP+ pads go to hell on me at VIR South weekend before last, and the shudder from the deposits on the front rotors is driving me crazy.

While we are at it...can anyone recommend some good yet fairly inexpensive slotted front rotors for the track brembos?

Thanks as always.

Sean
Old 04-21-2005, 04:49 PM
bigdaddy

bttt
Old 04-21-2005, 05:33 PM
formulaZ

the brembo rotors have a very small tolerance for being turned. i would reccommend a set of stoptech 2 piece rotors.

anywho, to remove pad deposites, i would have the rotors turned.

also, i would reccomend a set of endless pads. they are by far the best pad i have ever used for the street and track.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:36 PM
stumpmj

Originally Posted by bigdaddy
Like the title states....what is the best way to remove pad smear/deposits from the rotors? Sandpaper (composition, grit #)? Get them turned? What?

I had a set of HP+ pads go to hell on me at VIR South weekend before last, and the shudder from the deposits on the front rotors is driving me crazy.

While we are at it...can anyone recommend some good yet fairly inexpensive slotted front rotors for the track brembos?

Thanks as always.

Sean
100 grit garnet paper. I was told not to use sand paper but the garnet paper worked great for me. Otherwise, try something like Axis Metal Master brake pads or PFC01s. Either of those will take anything of your rotors along with a bit of your rotors.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:40 PM
formulaZ

Originally Posted by stumpmj
100 grit garnet paper. I was told not to use sand paper but the garnet paper worked great for me. Otherwise, try something like Axis Metal Master brake pads or PFC01s. Either of those will take anything of your rotors along with a bit of your rotors.

although this would get all the stuff off the rotors, it is not such a great idea.
i am not trying to say stumpmj is wrong, but in doing this, the sandpaper will leave and uneaven surface. yes you will clean the rotors off, but now the surface isnt exactly level. any thickness variation of the rotor that exceeds .001 will cause a pulsating pedal.

this is exactly the reason for using a on or off the car brake lathe.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:55 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by formulaZ
although this would get all the stuff off the rotors, it is not such a great idea.
i am not trying to say stumpmj is wrong, but in doing this, the sandpaper will leave and uneaven surface. yes you will clean the rotors off, but now the surface isnt exactly level. any thickness variation of the rotor that exceeds .001 will cause a pulsating pedal.

this is exactly the reason for using a on or off the car brake lathe.
The sand paper will not be aggressive enough to remove rotor material but worth a shot at taking pad material off, it is worth a try before turning them and really losing rotor material.

I heard from some of the experienced guys at track events that there is a paper similar to that described that is placed between the pads and rotor and you go out and make a hard stop and the paper will clean the rotor and desintegrate in the process, not sure where to find such a thing.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:33 AM
bigdaddy

thanks for the help. i'm probably going to get them turned, but I have to try to find the thickness specs from DBA (i have DBA drilled and slotted rotors). i may also just bite the bullet and buy new rotors that are just slotted, since all the cross drilled holes are really doing for me is storing pad material and starting cracks.

westpak...that is an interesting idea. i'll look around and see what i can find.

sean
Old 04-22-2005, 04:57 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by westpak
I heard from some of the experienced guys at track events that there is a paper similar to that described that is placed between the pads and rotor and you go out and make a hard stop and the paper will clean the rotor and desintegrate in the process, not sure where to find such a thing.
I saw a show that used them once. It is basically a way for you to turn your own rotors.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:33 AM
Asterix

I'm about to try this on one of my cars that sat for a while, so it has the same problem. 3M makes abrasive pads in several grits. Think the green "Scotch-Brite" pads you can buy at the grocery store for scrubbing pots, but with different grit levels. The green grocery store ones probably would work fine, but I'm going to try some finer grit pads. Fine steel wool might be a great choice, since it's not going to take off much iron. Even 00 steel wool wouldn't take off a measureable amount of iron.

Seems to me that, in my experience, sanding 0.001" off cast iron with even 100-grit paper would take a lot of elbow grease. If you try 220 first, I'll bet you'd never take off that much, even if you scrubbed for a while. Keep the power sander away from your car.

I can't imagine that the abused lathe a brake shop has for turning rotors can keep a 0.001" tolerance. 0.005" maybe if it's in good condition.

Asterix