Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Gettin sideways

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 10:12 PM
ss350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gettin sideways

Everytime I do a burnout on a launch or I spin my tires the rear end of my car always kicks out toward the right. I'm lowered on tein basics. How can I make the car stay straight when the wheels are spinning? Does it have to do with unequal ride height on the left and right side of the car? or does it have to do with my weight in the driver seat? or camber or toe? ect..

thanx guys
Old 04-22-2005, 10:37 PM
GTO2350

i had the same problem mostly like low tire pressure on your right side which allows for more girp and causes you to go sideways.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:56 AM
bobS

Mine always kicks to the right too, maybe the crown of the road?
Old 04-23-2005, 01:01 PM
bwilliams

Wink

When you are spinning, your traction is of course nil, and this includes the left/right traction that keeps your car straight. So the slightest little imbalance or side force can cause a kick.
While someone is burning out and kicking sideways, it only takes a few pounds to push the car straight again. Try it...it's an awsome feeling to shove a car around like that.

Set your left/right rear tire pressure identical. Set your left/right front tire pressure identical. Move weight around until the car does not kick in the same direction every time on flat pavement. After that, the pavement condition (yes, road crown) will enfluence.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Jimmy Haze

Have you considered Nismo LSD? I have one on my car and it seems to be a sweet unit. It will rotate your tires at the same rate which will keep you straighter. Plus you get better transfer of power to the wheels by going a bit more aggressive than viscous LSD. My LSD is set at 1.5, I want to keep it at streetable as possible. You get the LSD chatter at low speed sharp turns. You get this because the outside tire is going at the same rate as the inside tire. Usually the outside tire is going at a faster rate than the inside tire. The LSD will try to lock it so your tires are going at the same rate, causing the tires to hop. I hands down take the performance value over this little annoyance. Plus the LSD would be a sweet addition to the mod list for the summer time.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:42 PM
ss350

While someone is burning out and kicking sideways, it only takes a few pounds to push the car straight again. Try it...it's an awsome feeling to shove a car around like that.

Set your left/right rear tire pressure identical. Set your left/right front tire pressure identical. Move weight around until the car does not kick in the same direction every time on flat pavement. After that, the pavement condition (yes, road crown) will enfluence.
What do you mean by "moving weight around?" Do you mean like lean over in my seat to shift my weight to one side of the car?

I think i might be my tires pressure b/c one of them is 2 psi lower than the other. thanx
Old 04-23-2005, 02:06 PM
bwilliams

The tire pressure suggestion was to make things as symetrical as possible.
"Moving wt around":
Move or remove tire jack hardware.
Strap 5 pound weight to the left or right side, for example.

The goal here is to have an impact on the cars weight distribution.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Beaker02

RWD Torque. Normal.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:56 AM
ss350

I understand that its normal for the rear end to kick out, but I dont think its normal for the rear end to kick to THE SAME SIDE everytime. This means that there is some imbalance betweeen the right and left sides of the car. If not, half the time it would kick out to the left and the other times to the right.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:38 AM
bwilliams

Freshman Physics: If all aspects of the car AND its environment are truely symetrical, (weight, shocks, springs, traction, ground, etc) the car will kick sideways in the same direction every time.

However, we have the technology to adjust the outcome by make small adjustments in symetry, choosing a method that is easy, in essence shifting your center of gravity.

Then you make further adjustments in the heat of the moment by tweaking the wheel a little left/right as needed.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:28 PM
ss350

Actually if all aspects were truely symmetrical, the car wouldn't kick sidways at all and spin the tires in a straight line.

Freshman statistics: there would be 50% chance of the car kicking to either side if everything in the car was symmetrical.

The fact that it does kick to the same same everytime tell means that everything is in fact not symmetrical. Hence, why you suggested moving weight around in an attempt to make the sides of the car more symmetrical, which makes sense.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:36 PM
bwilliams

The 50% statistics concept does not take in considerations nature/physics.

Make the world around you completely symetrical...now spin something. You have just created an unbalanced force in your symetrical world. It's not majic or make-believe...its physics.

This is why I say, do the best you can at symetry, then correct for the dynamic reality (ie, inertia torque).