Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

tps reset?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 09:11 AM
harrieyu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tps reset?

i;ve been searching and couldn't find an answer. i got a flat tire and out the spare on. btw my rim cracked so i bought a new rim and i put it on but it is not resetting the tire pressure. it says that there is no tire pressure on my front tire. i called nissan and they told me that it should reset after driving but it hasn't. anyone know how i reset the tps? dont want to go to the dealer and have to pay for nothing.
thanks
Old 05-04-2005, 10:27 AM
knight_white99

If you need your TPS's reset, you can't do it yourself. Nissan has us by the short hairs on this one. You will need to see a Nissan dealer. They have a device called the Consult II (a $5000 piece of equipment) plus a special smaller device that is required to do the reset. I had to have my mine done since I bought a new set of wheels with a spare set of TPS sensors. Cost me 1/2 hr. shop labor ($47) for something that took maybe 5 minutes. (BTW, for those of you looking to do the same - different wheels hoping to still use sensors - be advised that the ECU will only work with FOUR sensors, so if you switch your wheels back and forth, you will need to reset the sensors every time!)
Old 05-05-2005, 06:59 PM
lam

what is your spare set of TPS sensor i want one of those too, since i have 5zigen 19" wheel will this sensor work, where to get it
Old 05-06-2005, 10:20 AM
harrieyu

how many do u need? i have 3 extra ones if your interested. let me know
Old 05-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Tantrum Z33

Originally Posted by knight_white99
If you need your TPS's reset, you can't do it yourself. Nissan has us by the short hairs on this one. You will need to see a Nissan dealer. They have a device called the Consult II (a $5000 piece of equipment) plus a special smaller device that is required to do the reset. I had to have my mine done since I bought a new set of wheels with a spare set of TPS sensors. Cost me 1/2 hr. shop labor ($47) for something that took maybe 5 minutes. (BTW, for those of you looking to do the same - different wheels hoping to still use sensors - be advised that the ECU will only work with FOUR sensors, so if you switch your wheels back and forth, you will need to reset the sensors every time!)

Why would they quote you $47/ (1/2 half) hour when it took 5mins? I'm planning on getting my TPS resetted in the future and I would definately not pay the dealer 1/2 hour labor if it was indeed 5mins.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:28 PM
knight_white99

[QUOTE]

The dealer wanted to charge me for a whole hour at first! Good luck if you can find a dealer who will do it for less. They gave me the standard speech about "overhead" and all that stuff... what do you expect from a dealer?
Old 05-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Tantrum Z33

I just thought that this was how it went...
1)You went to the dealer to reset the TPS
2)You wait five mins at the waiting area and the service guy comes to you and says "your car is done"
3)Next you look at the bill and they wrote "1/2 hour labor for $47"

I do understand that they have overhead and that they have to make money. I don't think that $47 is alot of money if they did take 1/2 hour to reset the TPS. But if it did take only took 5 mins to do, then I don't feel it's right for them to charge 1/2 hour of labor.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:57 PM
knight_white99

In fact, they told me at first that it would take an hour to do the work. I told them that I wanted to reset the ECU back to read the original set of TPS's in two weeks (after I get back from the Nevada Open Road Challenge). I said that I thought it was awfully expensive to charge me $95 (one hour shop labor) for EACH TIME. So they said that they would only charge me half now and half later, since I was going to come back to have it done again so soon. I was surprised how quickly the programming could be done. I guess they had never done it before (even the service manager didn't know how long it would take).

I need to find a local shop that specializes in work on 350Zs that has a Consult II that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-08-2005, 06:56 PM
Landbarger

My dealer threw it in when they checked my alignment, I guess if you've already got someone on the job the 5 minutes isn't as important. Good luck, maybe if you drop hints about 'lots of work in the future' they'll be a little more cooperative...

Last edited by Landbarger; 05-08-2005 at 07:01 PM.