Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

How long did you're OEM tires lasted ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Nano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerZe23
hmm... not to contradict but I have 28500 on my rear tires... they are pretty close to being replaced though... i just check the pressure and also 98% of my driving is on the highway. The fronts however, at 22000 started to feather, so they were replaced by the dealer.
that's possible if you drive very conservatively. It depends on how you drive. Kolia got ~7000K you got ~30000K.

I did ~12K miles with mine. And my front tires were replaced at 8Kmiles for excessive noise. Dragstrip couple of times a month, and moderately aggressive driving. I cannot imagine how I would have to drive to get 30K miles out of them...

I now have BFGoodrich KDW(300 treadwear) and after same driving, at 10K miles on them they aren't even down to 50% (which is a pita, as I can't wait to change them).

Last edited by Nano; 05-22-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I don'T do drag-strip launches (usually...)

But I do plenty of rear wheel steering wiht the trottle.

After 2 days of chassing Z06's around Putnam Park race track, the rears ae dead dead dead... I passed on the last 2 sessions so I'd have some thread left for the drive home.

(I didn't catch any Z06 in the end... Way to fast for me now !)
Old 05-22-2005, 06:34 PM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nano
You can say whatever you want, 140 treadwear RE040 will never last anywhere close to 400 treadwear tires, whatever the brand!
You still can't say that. I think you missed my point. I didn't say that an RE040 will outlast a Pirelli. The thing is, there is nothing to stop a new tire company from putting a 400 wear rating on any of their tires. They could have run out a very poor tire for some testing and made that their 100 treadwear tire baseline and then run out some slightly better tires and made them 400 treadwear ratings. My point is I would COMPLETELY ignore treadwear ratings except when looking at two tires from the same manufacturer. Read reviews of tires on sites like www.tirerack.com and see how many miles real world drivers have gotten out of tires and then make your decision if treadwear is an important factor in your tire decision. With that being said the 140 treadwear RE040 is obviously one of Bridgestone's lowest ratings and we all know they don't last that long.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by Kolia
Well, I don'T do drag-strip launches (usually...)

But I do plenty of rear wheel steering with the trottle.

After 2 days of chassing Z06's around Putnam Park race track, the rears ae dead dead dead... I passed on the last 2 sessions so I'd have some thread left for the drive home.

(I didn't catch any Z06 in the end... Way to fast for me now !)
not many tires will last very long with the abuse you are putting them through

the falken will last a bit longer probably

Originally Posted by King Tut
You still can't say that. I think you missed my point. I didn't say that an RE040 will outlast a Pirelli.
I understand what you mean. What I say is based on the driving I do and the tires I have been using. I usually settle for for 280-300 treadwear tires. And they last more or less the same, not more than 10% difference in the milleage between brands pirelli, dunlop and michelin mainly(whether this is entirely due to similar treadwear rating is debatable) . When I bought the Z and checked the tires and treadwear, I instantly knew that I wouldn't get much out of them, even though I hadn't experience with bridgestone. I wasn't surprised that they were almost shot at 12K.

Last edited by Nano; 05-22-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:15 AM
Road Warrior

i think i am going with toyo proxies....stock 17's....thinking about going to a different size though

any recommendations?

i want to try and keep the stagger but go with a lower profile tire....i don't drive in the rain so that is not an issue

i have 8k now....my fronts are fine but the rears need more grip and are wearing out quickly. the stock tires don't take much too break loose on you and i don't think they are a very good performance tire....except that the nissan folks probably selected a tire to get more mileage vs performance
Old 05-23-2005, 06:39 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Performance wise, the stock re040 are not bad. There are better options on the market, but I don’t feel they where a bad choice on Nissan’s part. They still performed pretty well at the track. You have to be comfortable in a 4 wheels drift tough…

Road Warrior, be aware that going to a lower profile tire while keeping stock dimensions will mean getting wider tires. You will have more maximum grip at the cost of a loss of steering response and feel.

All things being relative, you might find a tire that is both wider, slimmer and stiffer. Falkens are usually pretty stiff.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:52 AM
carmeljoy

i got a flat on my front tire at about 15,000 miles. when i went in to large tire chain in this area "discount tire" they sold me tire insurance for all 4 $100. if i get a flat or wear thell replace them. i got my 2nd flat one month ago they got me a new one free of charge.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:00 AM
I Hate JDM

mine feathered at 9,000 miles, so I decided to drive thru the feathering to see what happens. I am at 19,000 now, front tires are almost done, and the roaring actually got a little more quiet from 15,000 up.