Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Wheel scratched at tire shop!! Need feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 02:32 PM
tlewis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Wheel scratched at tire shop!! Need feedback.

Since I just put my stock wheels/tires back on to have Nissan replace them, I decided to take my two front wheels to the local Tire Depot to have the tires swapped over to the other rim. I figured now was a good of time as any to keep the feathering issue down on my Michelins....

I picked up my wheels and one of the rims was scratched up pretty badly. It looks as if it fell over face down on the concrete. In addition to the concrete scuffs on all five of the spokes, there was a large gash down one of them.

Does anyone have any experience with having wheels repaired??? I left this wheel with them, and they said a guy would be by next week that could repair it. These look as if there is a silver coat of paint over the metal rim...

I know I am freaking out a little too much, but this is my baby... and I'm sure many of you feel the same way about your Zs.

Let me know if you have had a wheel/rim repaired. Should I expect it to look brand new? Will you be able to tell a difference in the color or finish of the rim once it is repaired??? Pics of my rims are in my sig.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:19 PM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are definitely not freaking out too much. I have seen guys freak out much more over a ruined wheel at a tire shop. Good rim repairs are few and far between. Since you have TSWs, I would try and get them to just completely replace the rim.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:40 AM
beans10001

Default Same here... Firestone on Airport Blvd in Austin, TX

I just had a similar thing happen with my '05 Z Roadster. I took it into Firestone to have a nail patched and it came out with scratches. The scratches are not terrible, but they still scarred up my wheel in that 1 hour they had it. They also returned my car with grease on the passenger seat, which just adds fuel to the fire, in my opinion...

I immediately spoke with the assistant manager, who said I'd have to bring my car in and leave it with them for 24 hours so they can have the wheel shipped out and refinished. Personally, I don't want to leave them the car for 24 hours, I mean look what they did in only 1 hour! I feel I deserve a replacement wheel but have not had that conversation with them yet- what fun that'll be...

For anyone interested, I would not recommend taking your car to Firestone on Airport Blvd in Austin, TX. The assistant manager I dealt with is named Phillip Reyna and the technician's name is Ian Burger. This has been an awful experience.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:45 AM
tinybigrig

the best wheel repair i know of is wheels america, there is one in dallas, and one here in socal somewhere, but i warn you now. it will never be an exact match, just be prepaired for it

brent
Old 10-25-2005, 10:11 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go ape **** as soon as I noticed it. I have no tolorance for repair shops that damage your property and wont own up to it.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:45 PM
beans10001

Smile Looking better at Firestone here in Austin

Things are looking better for me- I went back to Firestone today (after being out of town and being sick for almost a week) and spoke with the same guy (the assistant manager Phillip Reyna). I said that I felt they owed me a new wheel after all of this and he said that could be done. I didn't have to play the upset customer game and demand satisfaction, ask to speak with his manager, ask to speak with the owner, write to corporate, etc...

He came out to look at the wheel with me again and asked if I would be willing to let them refinish it as that would save his business money and if I wasn't satisfied at that point, they'd replace it with a new one anyway. I expressed my concern about leaving the vehicle with them for 24 hours as this is what happened when they had it for only 1 hour. I said I felt a new wheel was in order to keep my business and he said no problem!

He took my VIN and called Nissan to place an order for a new wheel. He asked if I had the 17" or 18" wheels (I have 18's with my Grand Touring Roadster) and then took my home and cell phone numbers to let me know when it will be in so they can replace it.

I must admit, I'm very pleased with this last interaction- he agreed that I was being very patient given the situation and he also explained why he would prefer to refinish it rather than replacing. I listened to him and informed him I felt a replacement was in order and he did not push back at all.

I'll post again once the service is done to let everyone know if they live up to their word and if the service was done right (no scratches). Once again, my attitude about this shop has changed dramatically today...More to come!
Old 10-28-2005, 07:17 AM
tlewis

Glad to hear that they are replaciong it beans...

The tire shop here only repaired mine (aftermarket rim), and I was surprised at the quality of the job. I couldn't tell the difference from it and the other rims.

They repaired it back to original condition, which is all I wanted in the first place.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:40 AM
beans10001

Default Got my wheel replaced, finally!

It took a little longer than I hoped, but Firestone replaced my wheel with a new one yesterday morning. They were pretty cool about all of it and allowed me to watch the installation.

Here are a couple pics from the ordeal- the first pic showing the scratches they caused and the second pic showing the new wheel, which looks pretty damn good...
Attached Thumbnails Wheel scratched at tire shop!! Need feedback.-100_1664.jpg   Wheel scratched at tire shop!! Need feedback.-100_1672.jpg  
Old 12-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

I would be extremely pissed. Glad to hear they resolved the issue w/o too much headache for you. It could've been much more difficult
Old 12-04-2005, 04:00 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I cant believe the lack of care...

that shops take with wheels. I’ve had work before, and the manager says “You can have a seat in here sir” (pointing to the waiting area). Forget that bull: I’m so close behind the technician that we may as well be married.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:19 PM
joeun

Default NEVER EVER go the FIRESTONE ON AIRPORT BLVD IN AUSTIN!!

Originally Posted by beans10001
I just had a similar thing happen with my '05 Z Roadster. I took it into Firestone to have a nail patched and it came out with scratches. The scratches are not terrible, but they still scarred up my wheel in that 1 hour they had it. They also returned my car with grease on the passenger seat, which just adds fuel to the fire, in my opinion...

I immediately spoke with the assistant manager, who said I'd have to bring my car in and leave it with them for 24 hours so they can have the wheel shipped out and refinished. Personally, I don't want to leave them the car for 24 hours, I mean look what they did in only 1 hour! I feel I deserve a replacement wheel but have not had that conversation with them yet- what fun that'll be...

For anyone interested, I would not recommend taking your car to Firestone on Airport Blvd in Austin, TX. The assistant manager I dealt with is named Phillip Reyna and the technician's name is Ian Burger. This has been an awful experience.

I was browsing and I just had to reply to this...I took my then accord in there to get an oil change and inspection at the Firestone on airport blvd in Austin. A couple hours later I went to pick up my car, I drove out and about after a mile...my car just stops...turns out something went wrong with the alternator. Have a sneaking suspicion that they were responsible. Terrible experience trying to talk to the assistant manager and manager. Had to get it replaced and ended up dishing out almost $400 for new alternator. Luckily I had purchased an extended warranty.