Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

for all of the "experts" giving out the 20mm offset bogus info

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 11:32 AM
Luke@tirerack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for all of the "experts" giving out the 20mm offset bogus info

I know where the info came from ... and it is NOT CORRECT ...

At SEMA there were several 350's with wheels from a Ray's Engineering on them which had 22mm-25mm offsets in the rear but that is not a correct fitment. The reason they were used is because they are many wheels already made for the Skyline GTR and that is what they had available .... tires will be rubbing excessively if you try to compress the suspension using a 10.5" wheel witha 22mm offset and a 275 tire size ...

correct applications which will work better on the car and nort affect the suspension geometry are more like

19X9 ET29
19X10 ET40

We have even installed a 19x11 with a 295 rear tire on a 350 with no issues because the offset was correct ....

22mm, 25mm, and other low offsets I have seen mentioned are designed for the Skyline not the 350 and should not be used ... for many reasons .... do we need to discuss excessive bearring wear or adverse scrub radius issues ... or how about the effect of varied steering axxiss inclination by alteration of the suspension geometry during high speed maneuvers
Old 12-12-2002, 01:29 PM
Moodie
Minivan Racer

Wink No flames, but I disagree with you, Luke!!

I am not an expert like you, but common sense tells me a reputable company like Rays will not try to ruin their image and company name by putting out some existing rim and offsets and slapping it on the 350Z knowing they'll ruin the car. Besides, didn't they say these TE37 19s with 22 offsets are specifically made for the 350Z?

Other thing, Rays have these TE37s for some time now, so I am sure they have many different sizes and offsets available for this rim. So why would they choose the 22 offset and not any other for the Z if it "won't" fit properly?

Just a thought and my common sense. Please do correct me if I am wrong because I did order these TE37 19s in 22 offset for my Z.....

Old 12-12-2002, 01:36 PM
veilside z

Default Sorry - But you're wrong

Check out Rays & Nismo - Well done Moodie
Old 12-12-2002, 01:36 PM
Luke@tirerack

Many of the Japanese tuners or tuners in general will do things much more aggressively than is acceptable to most .... which is exactly what is going on here ... The wheels you mentioned are made to Skyline specs not 350 specs. Will they work ... yes but you will most likely need to "roll your fenders" in the rear in order to prevent rubbing and run a little more negative camber in your alignment settings. which is considered "no big deal" in other countries but do you really want to modify your car just for a different set of wheels

In the event you have a bearing failure under warranty it will not be covered ... i'm not trying to scare you but it is a possibility however small
Old 12-12-2002, 01:40 PM
z461

Originally posted by Luke@tirerack
Many of the Japanese tuners or tuners in general will do things much more aggressively than is acceptable to most .... which is exactly what is going on here ... The wheels you mentioned are made to Skyline specs not 350 specs. Will they work ... yes but you will most likely need to "roll your fenders" in the rear in order to prevent rubbing and run a little more negative camber in your alignment settings. which is considered "no big deal" in other countries but do you really want to modify your car just for a different set of wheels

In the event you have a bearing failure under warranty it will not be covered ... i'm not trying to scare you but it is a possibility however small
Actually... skyline specs demand +12mm for front and rear for the R34-GTR, the Skyline GT-Turbo R34 uses +30mm and +35mm front and rear. So in other words, you're wrong.

http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/cgi-bin/...modelName=TE37

BTW, maybe Tirerack will get on the ball and start getting some wheels in for the Z. It's been nearly 4 months and all you guys have are winter wheels. Come on now.. And what happened to the SSR? All that are available are bogus offsets like +37 and +41... Looks tucked. Even stock 8.5's are +30mm offset on the Z. So going to +22mm offset on front 8.5's isn't bad at all.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:42 PM
Moodie
Minivan Racer

Question Point taken!!!

Luke, if you don't mind me asking, then why would you have no problems fitting a 19X11 rim with 295 tires and have no problems where as I am putting in 19X9.5 rim with 275 and may encounter rubbing? What's the offset on that 19X11 rim?

I guess I need a offset 101 course!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 01:44 PM
Moodie
Minivan Racer

Default Hey Z461, thanks! Please help me out here!!

Originally posted by z461
Actually... skyline specs demand +12mm for front and rear for the R34-GTR, the Skyline GT-Turbo R34 uses +30mm and +35mm front and rear. So in other words, you're wrong.

http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/cgi-bin/...modelName=TE37

BTW, maybe Tirerack will get on the ball and start getting some wheels in for the Z. It's been nearly 4 months and all you guys have are winter wheels. Come on now.. And what happened to the SSR? All that are available are bogus offsets like +37 and +41... Looks tucked. Even stock 8.5's are +30mm offset on the Z. So going to +22mm offset on front 8.5's isn't bad at all.
We're defending out TE37 19s.....
Old 12-12-2002, 01:56 PM
z461

Default Re: Hey Z461, thanks! Please help me out here!!

Originally posted by Moodie
We're defending out TE37 19s.....

Hehe.. maybe a bit too harsh... Just wanted to point out, the fitments ARE different for the Z and the skyline, the +22mm offset was designed just for the Z. Also, with 8.5's and 9.5's in +22mm offset there's no need for any sort of rolling fenders or the such, the wheels come out perfectly right to the edge but stay within the wheel wells. I've seen them in person w/ GTC's and TE's.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:03 PM
Moodie
Minivan Racer

Default Very cool....can't wait for them to come in now!!!

Please post pics ...... lots of them when you put them on!!
Old 12-12-2002, 02:09 PM
veilside z

It'll look great. I agree, let's have some pics of the install.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:45 PM
RoadRagerInTherapy

Originally posted by Luke@tirerack

Luke...

If you work for Tire Rack, can you tell your Web site folks it's not that hard to post 350Z pics on the wheel-configurator-thingy so we can actually SEE what wheels might look like on the actual vehicle...
Old 12-12-2002, 02:48 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

and should not be used ... for many reasons .... do we need to discuss excessive bearring wear or adverse scrub radius issues ... or how about the effect of varied steering axxiss inclination by alteration of the suspension geometry during high speed maneuvers
I'd like to see your data on the kingpin inclination, control arm kinematics (at least at static, max compression, and max droop positions as well as at full steering lock left and right), ackerman angles, with a wheel with a known offset before you make vague generalizations like that. If these cannot be provided I raise the BS flag now and ask you to please remove this 'iffy' statement from your post.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 12-12-2002, 03:48 PM
sdpearso

OK, here's some math...without the tire of course but the point's the same.

Stock:
8"f = 203.2mm wide
w/30mm offset = 71.6mm / 131.6mm (out / in)

8.5"r = 215.9mm wide
w/33mm offset = 74.95mm / 140.95mm (out / in)
-------------------------------------------------------------

TE37:
8.5"f = 215.9mm wide
w/22mm offset = 85.95mm / 129.95mm (out / in)

9.5"r = 241.3mm wide
w/22mm offset = 98.65mm / 142.65mm (out / in)
-------------------------------------------------------------

difference:
front - 14.35mm closer to the fender / 1.65mm farther from the suspension.
(this is .56" closer to the fender and actually gives mor clearance to the suspension)
rear - 23.7mm closer to the fender / 1.7mm closer to the suspension.
(this is .93" closer to the fender and a measley 1.7mm closer to the suspension)

Now send me your specs on the 11" wheel that works and we can see how it compares with the above.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:25 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

i like tirerack, since my S03's come overnight for ground prices i live 4 hours away from warehouse in shreveport

anyways, i just got my GT-C 19x8.5 +27 and 19x9.5 +24...

i have not put them on the car yet, but i have been assured they will fit fine.

anyways, i am gonna post pics of the rims in a new topic... here is a shot of the box with specs:

PS: thats TXSTYLE in the background... yep, he likes the rims!!!

m
Old 12-12-2002, 05:49 PM
roberto350z

uh oh. Luke warns that 25+ is bayd, then the same company ships 24+ to a customer. Something has to give!
Old 12-12-2002, 05:58 PM
roberto350z

i just noticed that these GT-Cs have higher offset in the front....thats a first. Why would you want a skinnier tire sticking IN even more?
Old 12-12-2002, 06:10 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by roberto350z
i just noticed that these GT-Cs have higher offset in the front....thats a first. Why would you want a skinnier tire sticking IN even more?

how about... because i know what i am doing....

The GT-C 19x8.5 Face1 (outward spoke design) needs a HI-TYPE setup (which means its for large brakes like on my track model).. it comes in the following offsets: +2 +14 +27 +39

which would you pick?

here is the link: http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/cgi-bin/...lName=GTCFACE1

my rear 19x9.5 are Face2 (inward spoke design) i chose the Mid-Type since the brakes are not large... the offsets offered are: -2 +12 +24 +37 +49

again, which would you pick?

link: http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/cgi-bin/...lName=GTCFACE2

i know luke would pick the 39 and 37... i am glad tirerack doesnt sell volks... they would mess up the rep.

m
Old 12-12-2002, 06:32 PM
nosuchsol

I'm going to have to agree with Luke. He's been on multiple boards and has some good tech info on it. Just because you fit a wheel on the car doesn't mean that it's going to be the best possible way to do so. As mentioned, bearing failure and odd tire wear can be eliminated with proper wheel measurement. I'll vouch for Luke. =)
Old 12-12-2002, 06:45 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luke,

What offset is the Moda 19" wheel R6, that you guys carry and will the wheel be at the edge of the wheel well (like an M3) or "tucked" (like a stock Honda. or stock 350??). Also, How heavy is the R6 compared to a stock touring wheel??

aLSO, the site recommends 225/40/19 (f) and 245/40/19 (r), BUT nobody makes those 2 sizes. what to do???
Old 12-12-2002, 07:00 PM
sdpearso

Originally posted by nosuchsol
I'm going to have to agree with Luke. He's been on multiple boards and has some good tech info on it. Just because you fit a wheel on the car doesn't mean that it's going to be the best possible way to do so. As mentioned, bearing failure and odd tire wear can be eliminated with proper wheel measurement. I'll vouch for Luke. =)
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be rude to anyone including Luke. I just want some facts.

Tell me how 5 - 12 mm is going to cause any of the above. The only thing I can see is that it could cause rubbing somewhere. However, I've also seen wider wheels (10.5") installed on other cars. They were close to the fender, and could've even rubbed, but were not talking about 10.5" rims. We're talking about 9.5" rims. That is 1 full inch narrower. .5" narrow from center to edge. If 10.5" rims do rub, I doubt 9.5" rims in the same offset will.

Quick Reply: for all of the "experts" giving out the 20mm offset bogus info