Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

SF-Chal +11 Slammed on stock fenders!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:04 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FreeThinker
Oh and I was born and raised here in S. Florida. "Tyre" is simply the proper spelling. "Tire" is a verb meaning "to become exhausted" which through the lexicon of American English, became common mispelling, and now is pretty much standard.
I guess our definitions of meaty differ as to me a meaty tire is one that bulges over the side of the rim looking like it is too large for a given rim width. As for tyre versus tire I investigated it and it confirmed by belief. when I hear tyre I assume British, but I have also seen quite a few Canadians use it:

tyre ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tr)
n. Chiefly British
Variant of tire2.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

tire2 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tr)
n.
A covering for a wheel, usually made of rubber reinforced with cords of nylon, fiberglass, or other material and filled with compressed air.
A hoop of metal or rubber fitted around a wheel.

[Middle English, iron rim of a wheel, probably from tir, attire, short for atire, from attiren, to attire. See attire.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Miraclekidjr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drumma022
Right, but when comparing the price between the 2 and knowing that the allignment would be out of spec for a couple of weeks, I chose General. Back in my S14 days, with -2.7 deg camber the Generals lasted quite long!

The specs were posted above somewhere .....

19x9.5 +11 235/35/19 106mm Lip
19x10.5 +11 265/30/19 94mm Lip

True, a 265/30 is recommended on a 10" wheel, but If I were to run a 275/30 on an 11" wheel would you be saying the same thing? A few manufacturers say that size combo is good fitment. (Including General UHP). I would also say that the Rim Width Range can be interpreted differently when comparing between manufacturers. That is also like Volk recommending that you run an 18x8.5 and 18x9 +29 with a 225/245.

I am between Winter Park and UCF Area in Orlando.

I think I have posted the money shot ... it consisted of a $1 bill and 4 quarters.
ya, thats pretty crazy since im running a 275 on a 8" wheel
Old 08-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Chicken

Oh and I was born and raised here in S. Florida. "Tyre" is simply the proper spelling. "Tire" is a verb meaning "to become exhausted" which through the lexicon of American English, became common mispelling, and now is pretty much standard.
Well good for you, using the non-standard spelling. You'll be all set if Florida should happen to break off and float up towards the UK.

-Chicken (often sits in his flat or on his boot in car parks with his mates and has a row about these things)
Old 08-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Im surprised they dont rub especially the rears, but you are undersizing your tires man, run a 285 or bigger on that rear and you will def rub. Also, I know that cambered look is cool and all, trust me I use to be way lower than that, but take this as some advice from a Z owner who is now on his 6th set of rear tires in 50K miles-you need to raise your car and do some camber/toe adjustment, unless you can afford new tires every 10K miles or less. Im guessing you are around -3.5 degrees camber now, when I had similar camber along with agressive "street" driving, my tires lasted me 4000 miles.....Ive had rear camber from stock to -4.2 degrees Unless your paid as $hit you'll get tired of replacing tires cuz your insides are worn so much. I think its cool you tried a crazy offset, but imo, your doing it wrong with the way undersized tires and silly looking camber. Good luck with those.

It's a very common misconception, but BAD TOE is what kills tyres, NOT CAMBER.
My toe was within spec and with 3.2 degrees camber in the rear and not doing donuts and $hit, 300 treadwear tires lasted me around 10K miles, thats HORRIBLE mileage. I know, I have been down that road, stop preaching something you dont know about specifically on the Z

Last edited by Alberto; 08-24-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:52 PM
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by Alberto
My toe was within spec and with 3.2 degrees camber in the rear and not doing donuts and $hit, 300 treadwear tires lasted me around 10K miles, thats HORRIBLE mileage. I know, I have been down that road, stop preaching something you dont know about specifically on the Z

I don't care if it's a Freightliner, an F1 car or a Ford Pinto. When you toe is proper, you will get decent mileage. And this does come from experience. Maybe something was wrong in the measurement, but if you have close to zero toe, lots of camber should be fine. You will just wear whatever part of the tire actually touches the ground. If you have a rational explanation of how it works otherwise, I am always happy to learn.

Oh and back oin topic here, Ray, your car looks absolutely SEX. Still not as cool as a dumped cambered black/black Estima on 19's, but pretty close

ROLLIN'!!!

-Sean
Old 08-24-2005, 10:50 PM
JimRHIT

What the hell is an estima?
Old 08-25-2005, 05:04 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota Estimas are pure sex:

Old 08-25-2005, 06:34 AM
JimRHIT

Thank you King Tut,

I now fully understand FreeThinker's great taste in cars ...
Old 08-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't care if it's a Freightliner, an F1 car or a Ford Pinto. When you toe is proper, you will get decent mileage. And this does come from experience. Maybe something was wrong in the measurement, but if you have close to zero toe, lots of camber should be fine. You will just wear whatever part of the tire actually touches the ground. If you have a rational explanation of how it works otherwise, I am always happy to learn.

-Sean
Think about it. How good is it to have 0 degree toe, with negative 3+ degrees camber? How can you say it wont wear out tires faster, it wont feather tires like bad toe, but who cares if you have 80% tread left on the outside of the tire when your cords are showing on the inside edges? I replaced mine when the insides got so bad they became unsafe to drive, and so will druma22 if he keeps that ridiculous camber. But hey its his car his $$$. his choice
Old 08-25-2005, 11:18 AM
chemicalviper

This looks ridiculous... burning those inners up huh ?
Old 08-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Fletch69z

That is sweet! Gotta love negative camber, .
Old 08-26-2005, 03:55 AM
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by King Tut
Toyota Estimas are pure sex:

Holy crap, took me a second to notice that that is a model. Looks ***** though

Here's a few decent ones: I like the older Estima better since it's RWD

Enjoy

-Sean
Old 08-29-2005, 06:11 PM
drumma022

Great Pics Sean. Quit arguing and go the your Estima done!

Thanks for the support guys! Don't let a couple of bad opinions ruin a great post!

UPDATE:
I am at 1000 miles at the same allignment settings, same ride height, same tires ... and the tires are definately more than 25% tread left. On track for more miles than Alberto is stating. Now I am debating on getting an allignment to see how far these bad boys last!!

Also, 1000 miles and the lips are in the same shape as they were when I bought them ... just dirtier! The wife also was driving for 50% of the time and still in great shape.