Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

traction problems (nitto 555R)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 05:10 PM
typeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction problems (nitto 555R)

i realize this isnt exactly the right forum,but i do also hope that this might prompt some disscussion in the area. i raced a Z at my 1/4 and i noticed the rear end kept getting alittle" squirley" IM PRETTY sure this guy went through the water box (mistake number 1) but I'd bet there's a shortage of traction when trying to launch the Z hard?....have any of you tried something like a nitto 555R (which btw i have a set of 2 for sale 245/45/17) they're DOT approved ...
Old 01-27-2003, 05:28 PM
Last WS6

The nittos are good for an auto and heated up reallllllly well.

Manuals take to bf goodrich drag radials alot better.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:20 PM
12SecZ

Default Nitto 555R's have no problems hooking

They are my weapon of choice for my auto.

Tire pressure is the key at the track, no stock tire is going to hook well at the track unless you reduce your rpm's and get a horrible 60'. You have to measure the tire pressure hot at the track and heat them up like a big dog and they will become like glue!

If those were 18's I would buy them.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:31 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Default Re: traction problems (nitto 555R)

Originally posted by typeR
i realize this isnt exactly the right forum,but i do also hope that this might prompt some disscussion in the area. i raced a Z at my 1/4 and i noticed the rear end kept getting alittle" squirley" IM PRETTY sure this guy went through the water box (mistake number 1) but I'd bet there's a shortage of traction when trying to launch the Z hard?....have any of you tried something like a nitto 555R (which btw i have a set of 2 for sale 245/45/17) they're DOT approved ...
Are they new? And how much?
Old 01-28-2003, 04:59 PM
Last WS6

Default Re: Nitto 555R's have no problems hooking

Originally posted by MaxHax
They are my weapon of choice for my auto.

Tire pressure is the key at the track, no stock tire is going to hook well at the track unless you reduce your rpm's and get a horrible 60'. You have to measure the tire pressure hot at the track and heat them up like a big dog and they will become like glue!

If those were 18's I would buy them.
ick 18s. get some nice cheep 15 or 16 inch rims. More sidewall, lower the psi=more sidewall to compress=more tire on the track at launch. Better 60ft time. Better et lil lower trap speed.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:21 PM
12SecZ

Default Yeah I know

I may get some cheap salad shooters with some 245/405/16's
for the strip, I am not a track animal this is a daily driver/show, club car.

That being said, when I do run (probably two Saturdays from now) I want the best E/T possible both N20 and N/A.

I checked, they don't even make 18's in the Nitto Drag Radial.

On my FireHawk I had 555R 315's on 10.5 rims, I hooked like a bad dog! I dropped them all the way down to 20 lbs!

I ran a 1.59 60' 12.1 @114mph.

I have the slips, tech card and Trophee.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:51 AM
BigBadBuford

Once the track opens up I am thinking of running a set of 16" wheels with either ET Streets or ET Drags. I'll probably go with the ET Streets because the ET Drags would probably be overkill for a stock car. I am just hoping a 16" rim will fit over the Brembo calipers in the rear. Hopefully with those I would be able to pull a 1.8 or better 60' time. I've only made 2 passes with the stock tires, but the best I could pull was a 2.4 60'.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:12 AM
typeR

Default Re: Re: traction problems (nitto 555R)

Originally posted by westpak
Are they new? And how much?
near new 500 miles...i could email you pics...200$ local,split shipping if your somewhere other than the tampa bay area..

maxhax
"If those were 18's I would buy them."
they're arent made in an 18" size you maybe thinking of the nitto 555 extreme these are the nitto 555R drag radials

Old 01-29-2003, 05:18 AM
typeR

Originally posted by BigBadBuford
Once the track opens up I am thinking of running a set of 16" wheels with either ET Streets or ET Drags. I'll probably go with the ET Streets because the ET Drags would probably be overkill for a stock car. I am just hoping a 16" rim will fit over the Brembo calipers in the rear. Hopefully with those I would be able to pull a 1.8 or better 60' time. I've only made 2 passes with the stock tires, but the best I could pull was a 2.4 60'.
there's such a thing as too much traction,it can cause anything from bogging on the launch to blowing out a rear end,
I've gone 2.0** 60' on 10-12 occassions, on street tires, toyo T1-S 235/45/17 on stock wheels (26lbs per) ,with one wheel drive no less ,and that one wheel is a front one...my car is 3750-lbs with driver...i think the nitto's would make a great weapon to any Z driver with the 17" wheels,and im not just saying tht because i want to sell my set
Old 01-29-2003, 08:13 AM
12SecZ

Arrow

they're arent made in an 18" size you maybe thinking of the nitto 555 extreme these are the nitto 555R drag radials
I know that is why I said this,

I checked, they don't even make 18's in the Nitto Drag Radial.
I have the Nitto 555 Extreme Performance on all 4 now.
This will have to do for now, someone made a good point about blowing out rear ends. It happened to me.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:56 AM
typeR

I know that is why I said this,

, someone made a good point about blowing out rear ends. It happened to me.
sorry i typed this before i read that you had already realized about the 18's....i was the somebody that said one could do rear end damage with too much traction...
Old 01-29-2003, 02:58 PM
BigBadBuford

I have the Nitto NT555Rs on my Buick and I think they are a great tire. Even with the ET Streets I don't think I would have to worry too much about blowing out the rear end on the car at stock power levels. I bet I could probably pull 2.2 second 60's with the stock tires or maybe a bit better with some practice and after playing with the tire pressures, but I'd rather not race on those tires and save them for the street, especially since they are so ill-suited towards drag use.

On another note, has anyone tried running 16" wheels in the rear on a track model? I'd like to go with 16s because it gives me a lot better range of tires to choose from. 17s would work, but I'm thinking 16s would probably be the best for a Z set up to drag race if they fit.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:02 PM
typeR

ill say this 2.0 is possible on the stock tires...and ill go on to say the first Z to go 1.9* 60' will be the first stock Z to get 13.8 in the 1/4
Old 01-29-2003, 03:15 PM
12SecZ

Arrow

sorry i typed this before i read that you had already realized about the 18's
Hey, no problem at all,

This is what the 555R's got me last year!

Trophee

Close-Up

Just don't want to be labeled a "magazine racer", there are allot around on the net.

I would be **very** happy with a 2.0 60' with my regular 555's.

Every time (before 5177 NOS Kit) that I got a 2.0 60' I was in the mid 13's. I can live with that. That is V8 territority around here!
Old 01-29-2003, 04:57 PM
BigBadBuford

Originally posted by typeR
ill say this 2.0 is possible on the stock tires...and ill go on to say the first Z to go 1.9* 60' will be the first stock Z to get 13.8 in the 1/4
Thats already been done a few months ago.. I don't remember who it was but someone pulled either a 2.0 or 1.9 60' (I am pretty sure on stock tires) and he ran a 13.8@103.

I just don't see 2.0 60's being a common occurance with the stock Potenza RE-040s. I would bet that with a set of ET Streets and a pretty nasty launch you could pull a 1.8 or maybe even a 1.6 and I bet we would see a Z in the mid 13's, at least I am hoping I will be able to do that once I get them.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:26 PM
12SecZ

Default I recheched my time slips from last year

With a 2.056 60 ' I was doing 13.1 and 13.2 at 105 and 106 MPH!

That was done with Nitto 555R's on the rear with the Stock FireHawk 17's qhich wer made by SLP (Street Legal Products) which are not made anymore. I should have keot that car!!!
That was before twin NOS 125HP Jets too!

I don't expect that E/T and trap with a 2.0 60' in my Z, I'm trying to be realistic.

Without some type of DR's I will be hard pressed to do a 2.0 60'
I have been thinking about all my time at the track last year and how hard it was (but fun!)
Old 01-30-2003, 07:12 AM
typeR

Originally posted by BigBadBuford
Thats already been done a few months ago.. I don't remember who it was but someone pulled either a 2.0 or 1.9 60' (I am pretty sure on stock tires) and he ran a 13.8@103.

I just don't see 2.0 60's being a common occurance with the stock Potenza RE-040s. I would bet that with a set of ET Streets and a pretty nasty launch you could pull a 1.8 or maybe even a 1.6 and I bet we would see a Z in the mid 13's, at least I am hoping I will be able to do that once I get them.
gota link?
Old 01-30-2003, 07:16 AM
typeR

Default Re: I recheched my time slips from last year

I don't expect that E/T and trap with a 2.0 60' in my Z, I'm trying to be realistic.

Without some type of DR's I will be hard pressed to do a 2.0 60'
I have been thinking about all my time at the track last year and how hard it was (but fun!)
well ive been told that RWD should be easier to launch then front,and you guys are limited slip also? take the p.s.i. down to 20 to start heat'em up alittle. im not trying sound like im bragging dont take it the wrong way,but my car is heavier,FWD ,and no LSD, and 2.0**'s are becoming common for me...i have alittle more HP than the Z but certainly less torque....try disconenting the front sway bar at the track
Old 01-30-2003, 11:57 AM
12SecZ

Arrow

I have seen others in a local LS1 car club take off their sway bars for weight reduction in the 1/4 but I am not gonna do that it's not worth 1-2 tenths for me. Have you ever looked at the front sway bar of the Z? It's sorta integrated and funky looking last time I was underneath my car it looked like it wrapped around some other crap.

As for limited slip my practice has always been to turn it off before launchin at the track. It seems that with traction control off you hook better.

Rear wheel drive is nice but at the end of the day it comes down to the driver, my buddy does 14.0 in his front wheel drive Pontiac Grand Am GTP all stock except the tires. He's a damn good driver.

He won the North South Bakersfield Shootout (in his class) in a stock WS6 in the 13's. It's called "The Orange Crush", I call him the Hookmiester, he is the one that recently detailed my car and he *lives* at the track, even gets in free. LOL.

He weighs about 50 pounds less than me so you can best bet he will take a few runs down the track in mine when my Nitrous is done (he also helped me with my Injen Intake.)

I don't expect a 2.0* 60' without DR's so if I do I will be surprised if it happens, lower expectations for me make my times easier to take when I go (soon)
Old 01-30-2003, 12:19 PM
typeR

I have seen others in a local LS1 car club take off their sway bars for weight reduction in the 1/4 but I am not gonna do that it's not worth 1-2 tenths for me.
there's no need to take it off but just disconnect it,by doing so it allows the weight to transfer quicker to the rear helping maintain traction and keeps the weight back there,this can be done usually with a hex wrench and re attached for the drive home
As for limited slip my practice has always been to turn it off before launchin at the track. It seems that with traction control off you hook better.
limited slip is not traction control,it's a mechanical part of the transmission that allows both rear wheels to drive the car forward,whereas an open differential only powers one wheel,the one with LEAST grip...im pretty sure all Z's come with limited slip....but yes you would definetly want to turn off any traction control...

[quote]Rear wheel drive is nice but at the end of the day it comes down to the driver, my buddy does 14.0 in his front wheel drive Pontiac Grand Am GTP all stock except the tires. He's a damn good driver.[/qutoe]
trust me your friend is not stock or he doesnt go 14.0...that would be the fastest grand PRIX GTP stock i've ever heard of. 14.5 is the fastest stock GTP that im aware of.,im an active member at club GP....it would be the easiest mod in the world to pass off as o.e. the pulley to the super charger,make it smaller and you can add 50+ hp and the laymen would never even blink at thinking the car were stock. oh and belive me all those GTP guys swap out the pulley ,there are sevral to choose from

I don't expect a 2.0* 60' without DR's so if I do I will be surprised if it happens, lower expectations for me make my times easier to take when I go (soon)
you can do it i know it can be done,just takes practice,good luck

Last edited by typeR; 01-30-2003 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: traction problems (nitto 555R)