Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Weird Handling Issues: I'm Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Faikius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Handling Issues: I'm Stumped

I've got an 05' Performance on the stock 18s and tires and am having two issues I can't seem to figure out.

First, starting about a week ago, whenever I make a hard right-hand turn the car seems to "catch" on something. It feels like the brakes are coming on or the front right tire just "sticks" for a second. I've reporduced the issue with and without VDC enabled and I haven't been able to locate an area in the fenderwell where the tire looks like it has been rubbing...

Second, my steering feels like it's developed a "dead spot". When I turn the steering wheel a few degrees in either direction the car does not respond. This gets scary at high- speed as it feels like after I turn the wheel the car takes half a second to respond...

I haven't hit any unusual pot holes or bumps and have no reason to suspect any kind of impact damage.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:57 AM
johnlotusboy

dead spot is symptoms of alignment. You have a 3 year warranty use it.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Faikius

Originally Posted by johnlotusboy
dead spot is symptoms of alignment. You have a 3 year warranty use it.
I've been thinking about getting a "performance" alignment done. Perhaps now is the time

I'm a little hesitant to take it into the dealer because I have test-pipes on the car (my only mod). I may break down and pull them off to take it in...
Old 04-27-2006, 05:20 PM
350adamZ

Faikius!!!!!
I know exactly what you are talking about!!!! Its driving me friggin crazy. Nissan has no idea what is wrong, the try to tell me that it is bc my front passenger wheel isnt elypitical, but i think its BS. I have an 03 Touring, I was kind of hesitant to get a new front wheel just to prove to Nissan that it wasnt the wheel that was the problem. Its kind of like a vibration right?? Seems like the breaks are locking up in the one side. It always happens when Im getting on an off ramp at high speeds(which also scares the **** out of me), but tonight it did it going the opposite way, so now Im thinkin that its not the wheel.
I feel like dropping my car off at Nissan and telling them to give me a rental until its fixed bc its too much of a risk. What happens if it locks up in the rain????? Thats my worry.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:43 AM
ssawa

Just got Goodyear F-1 GS-D3's on my rears of my "03 Touring 6 spd with the stock RE040's still on the fronts and on a fast right hand freeway transition, my "slp" light went on and you could feel the car "braking" on its own. I don't know if that was caused by the newness of the tires, different tread patterns or something on the road, but it was somewhat scary since I tend to take corners and curves fast. I really don't want this happening. I'm probably going to change the fronts to goodyears. Only problem is I recently found out they don't make the front stock size (225 45 18) that I was going to get. I'll get 235 40 18 instead which is just slightly shorter (25.4" vs. 25.9") in diameter. Hope this different doesn't screw with the Stability control.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Faikius

Originally Posted by 350adamZ
Faikius!!!!!
I know exactly what you are talking about!!!! Its driving me friggin crazy. Nissan has no idea what is wrong, the try to tell me that it is bc my front passenger wheel isnt elypitical, but i think its BS. I have an 03 Touring, I was kind of hesitant to get a new front wheel just to prove to Nissan that it wasnt the wheel that was the problem. Its kind of like a vibration right?? Seems like the breaks are locking up in the one side. It always happens when Im getting on an off ramp at high speeds(which also scares the **** out of me), but tonight it did it going the opposite way, so now Im thinkin that its not the wheel.
I feel like dropping my car off at Nissan and telling them to give me a rental until its fixed bc its too much of a risk. What happens if it locks up in the rain????? Thats my worry.

Definitely sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing. It honestly feels like the left-front wheel locks up for a second. Scared the hell out me the first few times it happened.

As you said, I'm really worried that this might happen in the rain or some otherwise in opportune moment and casue me to lose control of the car...
Old 05-01-2006, 07:23 PM
350adamZ

So what are we to do?? Im getting new wheels this wk. Its probably going to do it with them too, and when it does, Im going to friggin flip on Nissan. They never put a thorough analysis into fixing something, it pisses me off. Welp, anything that you think we should do, def keep in touch. This obviously hasnt been happening too often if we are only 2 of thousands.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:21 AM
InZomniac

Subscribing
Old 05-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Zambetti

I have the same problem as well. Going around tight turns at higher speeds its like the brakes catch for a split second or something catches. I have stock size tires. The OEM in the front with serious feathering...im getting them replaced soon, and Falken FK 451's in the rear. I never noticed the problem with the OEM tires in the rear, but with the falkens I do now. Im wondering if it has something to do with the feathering, because it does feel like whatever is happening occurs in the front.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:13 AM
Faikius

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 350adamZ
So what are we to do?? Im getting new wheels this wk. Its probably going to do it with them too, and when it does, Im going to friggin flip on Nissan. They never put a thorough analysis into fixing something, it pisses me off. Welp, anything that you think we should do, def keep in touch. This obviously hasnt been happening too often if we are only 2 of thousands.

Well I jacked the car up this past weekend and inspected the front suspension. Unfortunately / fortunately I didn't see anything wrong or out of place. Though I honestly doubt I would spot anythign short of a control arm hanging loose

I also had the rear tires replaced since the OEM's were on their way out. This had no effect on the issue.

I guess I'm going to swap my cats back on and take it into the dealership sometime in the next few weeks. I don't have much faith in the dealership techs based upon past experience but I'm not sure what else to do at this point...
Old 05-03-2006, 08:32 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you check the brakes and fluid? Maybe there is an air buble in there?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Faikius

Originally Posted by sq40
Did you check the brakes and fluid? Maybe there is an air buble in there?

I didn't think to check the brakes as such. But then again the issue happens without the brakes being engaged.

So far I've determined the following:

1) Only happens on hard / sharp right turns when the car leans significantly to the left.. The harder the turn, the more pronounced the issue is.
2) Occurs with or without VDC enabled
3) Occurs with or without brakes applied
4) Ocurs with or without clutch engaged
5) Replacing the rear tires had no effect

It seems to be caused by the left-front suspension / wheel / brakes...
Old 05-03-2006, 10:29 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Faikius
I didn't think to check the brakes as such. But then again the issue happens without the brakes being engaged.

So far I've determined the following:

1) Only happens on hard / sharp right turns when the car leans significantly to the left.. The harder the turn, the more pronounced the issue is.
2) Occurs with or without VDC enabled
3) Occurs with or without brakes applied
4) Ocurs with or without clutch engaged
5) Replacing the rear tires had no effect

It seems to be caused by the left-front suspension / wheel / brakes...

Take Wide Masking Tape and fill in the Inside of the wheel well with it. Go for a drive and then look for marks on the tape to see if something is flexing enough to rub the with the tires. Also, and this is hard to do, Put a small mark straight down the middle of your rotors (maybe with a marker). Go for a drive without braking around a parking lot and coast to a stop. Look to see if your pads engauged at any time. Try to get both sides of the rotor.

Also, Have all of your bearings and ball joints checked, maybe something is locking up under latteral g-force?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:58 PM
350adamZ

It sounds like we all have the same exact problem, because that is exactly what is going on with me. I already took it to Nissan, they couldnt do ****, they blamed it on something that was totally irrelevant to the issue. Theyre just bums.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Faikius

Originally Posted by sq40
Take Wide Masking Tape and fill in the Inside of the wheel well with it. Go for a drive and then look for marks on the tape to see if something is flexing enough to rub the with the tires. Also, and this is hard to do, Put a small mark straight down the middle of your rotors (maybe with a marker). Go for a drive without braking around a parking lot and coast to a stop. Look to see if your pads engauged at any time. Try to get both sides of the rotor.

Also, Have all of your bearings and ball joints checked, maybe something is locking up under latteral g-force?
Good idea on the masking tape. Will defintely give that a shot this weekend. Will also try the brake / marker suggestion though I doubt I'll be able to avoid using the brakes before reproducing the issue

I was thinking of paying someone to put my stock cats back on and taking it into the dealership. After a few have posted their dealership experiences, I'm wondering if it might be more time / cost effective to just take it to one of the local shops who are Z-familiar and let them diagnose it...
Old 05-04-2006, 08:17 AM
ANXIOUZ

Well, it's definitely not your test pipes so I wouldn't even bother putting your stock cats on. The dealer can't give you sht for that. It's unrelated.

To me it sounds like VDC is acting up: even when you turn VDC off, it's still on a little. And since this is happening on hard turns (i.e., potentially dealing with yaw), I think the ECU might need an adjustment to fix the VDC's confusion.

Does everyone with the issue have VDC?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could it be a busted steering bushing?

How are you're tie rod endlinks? There should be no play and even friction.

Are the coil springs seated correctly?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Faikius

Originally Posted by maximXL
Well, it's definitely not your test pipes so I wouldn't even bother putting your stock cats on. The dealer can't give you sht for that. It's unrelated.

To me it sounds like VDC is acting up: even when you turn VDC off, it's still on a little. And since this is happening on hard turns (i.e., potentially dealing with yaw), I think the ECU might need an adjustment to fix the VDC's confusion.

Does everyone with the issue have VDC?
I realize it has nothing to do with the test pipes, I just don't want to give the dealer an easy-out. They seem to try to find something they won't touch to blame issues on.

I had thought about the VDC. I hear there are a few fuses you have to pull in order to completely disable it. Looking into that now.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Faikius
I had thought about the VDC. I hear there are a few fuses you have to pull in order to completely disable it. Looking into that now.
If it's just to test without electronics, pull the grey connector from the VDC/TCS/ABS module beside of the brake master cylinder in the engine compartment.

Plenty of lights will turn ON in the dash and you won't have any electronics at all interfering. (They all go back to normal once you replug the connector)
Old 05-04-2006, 02:59 PM
350adamZ

Good Idea.

Quick Reply: Weird Handling Issues: I'm Stumped