Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

OK to Drive without Strut Bar???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:43 PM
bleufiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point moforeynolds. Like I said though I was just throwing a dart in the dark on it. I honestly dont intend to replace mine unless Im just running out of things to do to the car but given that Ive only had mine 3 weeks and the only things Ive done to my Z is tint and put on the rear aero package spoiler.

Id say I have awhile b4 I start running out of Ideas for my car LOL.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chsia
I just installed MD 5/16" spacer. Now the strut bar is almost hitting the hood.

I think the real point here is that if your strut bar doesn't clear BOTH the plenum AND the hood then you reinstalled the strut bar slightly wrong.

There is an adjustment nut for a reason, you shouldn't have to take the whole thing off.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:56 PM
ent0ne

Originally Posted by moforeynolds
the stock strut bar and most aftermarket ones aren't going to do much anyway because they aren't solid pieces. I'll porbably catch heat for this, but the thread&bolt setup provides a flex point that is going to do exactly the opposite of what a strut tower bar is supposed to do. It's better than nothing, but barely. I haven't shopped around, but the most functional strut tower brace would be a solid piece (no thread&bolt joints) and be a 3-point setup, connecting to the firewall. I would be very surprised if no one made one like this.
their is one company that make a one piece, its called carbing http://www.tornactive.com/pd_carbing_front.cfm
Old 10-01-2006, 07:27 AM
lowrider

Guys

Regarding the STB, doesn't hurt to drive without one. As we all know the "G" doesn't come with a Strut Tower Brace. Mine is an '03, and I drove it that without one for 3 years. The "G" has a bunch of crap around the strut towers, and no one, until recently has been able to design one that both fits and works. That's all changed. VRT and ARC have come out with STBs for the "G". I can't comment on the ARC one, but I can on the VRT piece.

My comments from last April when I installed it (From G35 Driver)

"I put about 700 miles on my coupe over the weekend. To say I am happy with the VRT STB would be an understatement. I did a lot of driving in the Arizona Mountains on the way to Sedona, and the car handled great. I had been thinking of some suspension mods, but no more. The stock suspension is just fine, it just needed something to tie it together, just what the STB does. Going in a straight line feels very much the same, but somehow I feel a little more planted. Lane changing while good before, is more crisp now. As I mentioned above, U Turns are extremely flat, and I swear some of my understeer is gone. Mountain driving was really fun, but I couldn't push it or my wife would have had a fit. There is no downside to this mod, except perhaps the steep price. But, with the precision mounting system, and the engineering necessary because of all the crap around the strut towers, I guess you get what you pay for. To me, this STB is a "Must Have" to all of us who enjoy vigorous driving and a great handling automobile. I've attached a couple of pics. The first one is a before with my cut engine cover. The second shows the bar installed, and the third the driver's side STB Support.

Lou"

As you can see, IMO, this is a very well designed device, that made a huge difference in a car that already handled very well.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails OK to Drive without Strut Bar???-stb01.jpg   OK to Drive without Strut Bar???-stb02.jpg  
Old 10-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Again, there's no reason you can't install stock strut bar with the 5/16" spacer and keep it from rubbing 100%.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:46 PM
moforeynolds

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowrider

My comments from last April when I installed it (From G35 Driver)

"I put about 700 miles on my coupe over the weekend. To say I am happy with the VRT STB would be an understatement. I did a lot of driving in the Arizona Mountains on the way to Sedona, and the car handled great. I had been thinking of some suspension mods, but no more. The stock suspension is just fine, it just needed something to tie it together, just what the STB does. Going in a straight line feels very much the same, but somehow I feel a little more planted. Lane changing while good before, is more crisp now. As I mentioned above, U Turns are extremely flat, and I swear some of my understeer is gone. Mountain driving was really fun, but I couldn't push it or my wife would have had a fit. There is no downside to this mod, except perhaps the steep price. But, with the precision mounting system, and the engineering necessary because of all the crap around the strut towers, I guess you get what you pay for. To me, this STB is a "Must Have" to all of us who enjoy vigorous driving and a great handling automobile. I've attached a couple of pics. The first one is a before with my cut engine cover. The second shows the bar installed, and the third the driver's side STB Support.

Lou"

As you can see, IMO, this is a very well designed device, that made a huge difference in a car that already handled very well.

Lou

Not trying to stroke the fire here, but I see atleast two very obvious points of flex. And granted, the pictures might be decieving, but how much higher is that bar than the strut towers? Maybe you really do notice a difference, but I can't help but wonder if any of that is a placebo effect. Sure, there is now a bar across the width of the engine bay...but are single-bolt mounting points, higher shock towers due to extended arms and pin&bolt joints really bracing the chassis at all?

The Carbing bar that ent0ne posted is exactly what I'm referring to, at a pricepoint that is similiar to other high-end bars. Triangulating the load would be even better, butfrom purely a design standpoint, that looks like it will be the better performer than any thread-joint bar.

Last edited by moforeynolds; 10-01-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:07 PM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Again, there's no reason you can't install stock strut bar with the 5/16" spacer and keep it from rubbing 100%.
how ....it just clears on its own ,, i assumed it doesnt.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:23 PM
chsia

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
After installing the MD 5/16" spacer, I adjusted the strut bar so it did not rub against the hood, but had very little space between STB and hood. Since Seibon VSII hood has a steep slope before the big vent, I'm worrying that the STB might be in the way when closing the hood. Has anybody with Seibon VSII had the problem?
Old 10-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chsia
After installing the MD 5/16" spacer, I adjusted the strut bar so it did not rub against the hood, but had very little space between STB and hood. Since Seibon VSII hood has a steep slope before the big vent, I'm worrying that the STB might be in the way when closing the hood. Has anybody with Seibon VSII had the problem?
As I stated earlier --I have Kaminari Ram air F/G hood ---I painted the inside Flat BL----There was contact---I took my grinder and relieved those areas and touch up with a spray can----100% undetectable---There was a lot less ---I ground more and got it to the point of Zero contact ----Done deal
Aftermarkets may pose a prob

Last edited by Eazzy; 10-01-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by RBlover69
how ....it just clears on its own ,, i assumed it doesnt.
Yes it clearly states on the motordyne website, and I know from personal experience, the strut bar clears 5/16" spacer.

All you have to do is install the strut bar spacers provided with the 5/16" and make sure you turn the adjustment nut the right way to make it clear.

All you need is a big monkey wrench, it's super easy to fix it.