Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

TPMS sensors on new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:06 PM
shushikiary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS sensors on new wheels

I did a search around and found a few people talking about this, but didnt give the info I wanted.

I just bought a set of winder tires/wheels for my car but I dont have another set up TPMS sensors for the wheels, and at 107 bucks a pop from the dealship, 400 bucks for tire pressure measurment doesnt seem all that apealing to me right now... (I have 2 sets of wheels, one for summer and one for winter).

My question is, will I be alright not running the senors? I know the light will be on all the time, but is it going to do that awefull BEEEEEEEEEEEP sound every time I start the car if I dont put them in? It wont mess up the VDC at all either will it? (I dont think it will, but I want to make sure), oh BTW it's a 2003 track model.

thanks.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:10 PM
OCZTrack

I never reinstalled my sensors in my aftermarket wheels and I have never gotten a beep. On normal drives my tire pressure light never even comes on. The only annoyance is that it seems to come on after about an hour or more of driving.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:28 PM
shushikiary

sweet, that's what I want to hear, thanks. ^^ oh and you do know your name is a brand of RAM right? lol (OCZ makes some of the best RAM)
Old 10-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Juno

Why don't you just put the ones out of your OEM wheels in your new wheels?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:35 PM
shushikiary

because I have 2 sets of wheels, and doing that would require that I pull the tires off both sets in order to move the senors over every time I wanted to switch the set out.

Point is there is 1 set for summer with summer tires on it, and 1 set for winter with snow tires on it. If I had to move the sensors over every time I'd have to unmount/remount 8 tires just to move the sensors over, and the whole point was to reduce the amount of times I had to go to the tire store, I can just switch to winter or summer tires anytime i want by switching out wheels. But as said, I dont have a 2nd set of sensors.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Juno

Originally Posted by shushikiary
because I have 2 sets of wheels, and doing that would require that I pull the tires off both sets in order to move the senors over every time I wanted to switch the set out.

Point is there is 1 set for summer with summer tires on it, and 1 set for winter with snow tires on it. If I had to move the sensors over every time I'd have to unmount/remount 8 tires just to move the sensors over, and the whole point was to reduce the amount of times I had to go to the tire store, I can just switch to winter or summer tires anytime i want by switching out wheels. But as said, I dont have a 2nd set of sensors.

LOL- good reason! We don't have that problem in Florida.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Nucleus

Actually they dont have to totally unmount the tire to remove/install the sensors. All they have to do is deflate and press the tire down enough so that they can pull/install the sensors.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:15 PM
shushikiary

good point, but still a hastle no? though, if that's all they have to do... I wonder if I could just do it my self when I move back to the summer tires in summer...

are you sure you can do that? From the pictures of them I've seen they look like a 2-4cm3 box and it might be hard to get the tire over it...
Old 10-10-2006, 02:24 PM
THE TECH

You will not be able to remove them yourself unless you can pop the bead on the tire (which is quite tough without a machine). You should really search. I have discussed the TPS topic in a ton of threads.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:36 PM
daveZ insanity

Default You have to rebalance them

The sensors are heavy enough to cause a balance problem you will feel - if you remove or add one to a wheel, you have to rebalance it.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:48 PM
shushikiary

Sorry tech, didnt know what to search for and searched for tire presssure sensor which did not give the right results.. upon you advice searching for TPS found this thread which answered the questions:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&highlight=TPS

thanks for all the info... and yea it's not worth trying to switch them each time, rebalance and bead, etc... and 280 bucks for 4 of them from performance nissan only to have the car recalibrated every time I swap out the wheels... no thanks, so going without.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:34 PM
another_geek

You could always pick up a used set here in the classified. A set of 4 runs around $100/4. I picked up another set from another member here just for that purpose so I could have sensors in both sets of wheels.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:30 PM
derekinthez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tps

how much to have dealer re-calibrate to new rim/tires?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:51 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by derekinthez
how much to have dealer re-calibrate to new rim/tires?
Call your local dealers. They will vary greatly.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:44 AM
kbomb

why not just check it manually.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:40 AM
shushikiary

The dealship around here said they'd do it for free... not sure why some people are getting charged 50 or 80 bucks...
Old 10-12-2006, 07:57 AM
ak350

Hey everyone, picking up a set of winter tread to put on my stock 18s since I will be getting 19s for the summer. I have seen so far the everyone is just saying to run the winter set without the tpms in, so what im wondering is first do I need to put anything in their place when they are taken out of the stock rim, and second, what is the best way to preserve them until I get my new rims in the summer? I did see that I shouldnt store them anywhere near the Z becasue it would receive the signal.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:43 AM
sponsorsthisway

Are you saying they have to be recalibrated everytime you take the wheel off the car, or everytime you have tires changed? I'm confused. I can put my sensors in my Volks next time I have new tires put on, right?