Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tire Feathering

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 06:46 PM
sundevil67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tire Feathering

I know there has been a few posts about this TSB from a while back, but I really need some recommendations, because I am at the end of my rope with this thing. When Nissan first sent out the TSB, I had already been through 2 sets of tires on my newest Z, and 2 more on the previous one that I had totaled. Nissan is still stonewalling me and refusing to reimburse me one dime because I bought tires that were an inch bigger than the stock ones when I replaced them. I also am finding it baffling that no Nissan dealerships in my area are equipped to align Zs with aftermarket tires or rims larger than 17". Regardless, when the new specs came out, I brought it to a specialty alignment shop and had it "fixed". Still, I am continuing to rip through front tires every few thousand miles, each time because of "feathering". I have spent thousands on replacement tires, and I now am at 38 thousand miles and am about to buy my 5th set of front tires for this car. This is not normal, and Nissan is totally unwilling to help. The dealer says they can't handle the rims, and corporate blows me off. I am seriously considering a small claims case, but would love to hop on a class action case instead. I am about to fill out the form again at nissantireproblems.com, but they never replied to my original inquiry. Anyone have any advice here? I have kept the car through so many problems, but this might be the one that pushes me over the edge - I bought a new car to avoid costly maintenance, and this is ridiculous already.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:37 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I understand your frustration and sympathize. The class actions suits are scams. You will be asked to pay a filing fee. Thats about it. Everything that you can possibly know about feathering can be found here: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/15758-tire-feathering-fyi.html.

Last edited by davidv; 11-06-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Q45tech

The directional tire [lack of rotation to reverse scrub the feather the other way] is the culprit...........we see feathering on every brand [from Audi- Volkswagon] with soft directional front tires and have since 1995.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:34 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can have your local dealer run your VIN number and see if you have the extended front end alignment / tire warranty...

For my local customers, I can do it for you as well... but it only applies if you have OE size Tires and OE Rims w/ OE Suspension... or if you have the full NISMO Suspension package (NISMO Rims / Recommended tire size / NISMO Sways / NISMO SHock & Spring)
Old 11-07-2006, 09:12 AM
sundevil67

Default Tire Feathering

Q45tech, would you please elaborate on your post? I think I might have caught a break this morning, when I learned an old friend of mine actually works for a lawfirm involved in the class action. Someone from Nissan's customer service department called me back last night, but of course they call after business hours when I was unavailable - it seems like they intentionally call at odd hours, because the last time it was unreasonably early in the morning, at like 7:30AM.

Thanks Guys.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Q45tech

I am of the opinion that diectional tires were created by the manufacturers to allow feathering, since they know that owners don't understand the necessity of demounting and flipping and cross rotating, sure they help in warm rain when brand new but by the time they are half worn they may be worse than nondirectionals.

Just like they don't fully explain that Summer Tires should not be used below 50F in dry or wet weather.

Read all the fine print info on Tire Rack site...........years ago they did testing on mounting them backwards little effect......the info was pulled from their site a few days after it appeared.

Kind of a marketing gimmic gone wild. Tire makers are forced to compete blame Goodyear Gatorbacks for starting this disease.

Try a non directional tire with proper rotations and see if the problem doesn't go away! Michelin PS2

Last edited by Q45tech; 11-08-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:33 PM
sundevil67

I did the flipping and cross-rotating - I've been in contact with real pros through the whole experience. Sort of an update today though; Nissan called me back and offered to re-review my case if I send in all of my documentation (for a forth time). All I am asking for at this point is that they cover the cost of replacing the OEM tires on both of my Zs. I had planned to keep the stock tires for as long as they lasted before buying new tires/rims, and I had to do this very prematurely because of this issue - on both cars. The next time I purchase tires, if I do still own this car, I am going to be buying the cheapest garbage tire I can get away with. The more likely scenario is that I get rid of this car, which I am dying to do. There is just no joy left since the accident, and no desire to continue upgrading it or even keeping it clean. The car doesn't handle right with the thrashed tires for one thing. It makes strange noises in the suspension that no one can figure out. The bodywork is uneven and the paint job is horrendous. The clutch is sticking and mushy, though Nissan claims it is fine (I am almost positive this is because they were too lazy to even look at it). This car is just cursed, and I've accepted it. I bought a new car to avoid constant maintenance, and this car has been in the shop more than it's been on the road! I am not saying the Z is a bad car, there is just a hex on mine. I was not meant to own this car. I am about to replace my 3rd windshield inside of a year and a half as well! Unfortunately since my accident, the car isn't worth what I owe, and I can't afford the hit right now.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:23 AM
bklusa1

Default ??

Does this problem only affect the '03 and '04 models? I thought by '05 they had it straightened out but just wanted to make sure?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Fuddy Duddy

I have an '06 Enth. with 5400 miles, and have been watching the tires due to the problems that I have heard with tire scrubbing.

So far I have not had any wear at all. I don't take square corners, but like to push it from the light.

I am about to go aftermarket with 245/40/18 and 275/40/18...and see if I experience the same thing.

I feel for you man...but it's got to be the front end setup with the earlier Z's.

Last edited by Fuddy Duddy; 11-10-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:21 AM
sickguy

Hi Jason, could you please do me a favor? My '03 350z front tires have been replaced due to the feathering issue and realigned. After 1 year (15,000 miles) the problem recurred but it's out of the warranty. Now I'm stuck and I don't want to replace the front tires and do the alignment every year. Could you please check if I have extended warranty on the tires and alignment? My VIN# is JN1AZ34D73T102300. Thank you so much and I appreciate your help.