Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Wheel fitment issues with Stillen/AP BBKs

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 03:17 PM
bullseye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel fitment issues with Stillen/AP BBKs

I've had a staggered set of SSR GT1 wheels on my 2003 G35 sedan since I picked it up at the dealership in 2002. I added a Stillen/AP Racing BBK in '04 with no fitment issues at all, neither in front nor in back.

Recently, I hit a big chunk of concrete in the roadway after dark, bending one of the rear (18 x 9) wheels. It's not too bad, but I get a wicked shimmy in my steering column at highway speed in excess of 60 mph. The local Infiniti dealership confirmed the bent rear wheel. (It's not one of the front wheels, which are 18 x 8s, but it feels like it.)

I called The Tire Rack, where I've bought all my tires and wheels for almost a decade, to order a replacement 18 x 9 SSR GT1 wheel. Unfortunately, that style of wheel is no longer available from SSR. It's discontinued. According to Walt at The Tire Rack the only wheel they have which will clear my big brake kit is an 18 x 8 O.Z. Ultraleggera. I don't want 18 x 8s all around, and I do not like that wheel style, either.

At this point, I do not know where to go for a high-quality, forged, light-weight wheel that will fit over my brakes without sticking out beyond the fenders. I do not know how to spec a wheel to fit, as some wheels come with straight spokes, and some wheels come with curved spokes. I do not want to buy another set of wheels only to discover they don't clear my calipers.

What to do...?
Old 11-11-2006, 03:29 PM
plumpzz

Whats your budget?
Old 11-11-2006, 04:34 PM
bullseye

I wouldn't say the sky is the limit, but I'm willing to pay good money for very good quality wheels, say... $2,500 to $3,500. I want to keep the staggered 18 x 8 and 18 x 9 set up, so I can still use my month-old 225/45 and 255/40 Bridgestone Pole Position Y-rated tires. I prefer a satin silver wheel w/ a clear finish, like my SSR GT1s have on them, so black, white, bronze, gold, and the like are not under consideration.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Gary King

Get the wheel fitment template from Stillen/Brake Pros for your brakes and send it to the wheel companies who have wheels you are interested in to check the fitment. Volk will do it for sure and a good rep at tire Rack should too. Tell your Tire Rack to start by looking at the wheels that fit the 350Z Track, that will help narrow down the wheel choices a bit.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:23 AM
bullseye

OK.

The Tire Rack went to Stillen's website to pull the BBK template. According to Walt at the Tire Rack, he used it, excluding every wheel they had in the process... except the 18 x 8 OZ Ultraleggera! I find that incredible.

Yesterday, I sent an e-mail to SSR for assistance. Today, I sent e-mail with the BBK template attached, to both BBS and Volk. I await their replies... Tomorrow, I'll call Stillen. They stock wheels. Maybe they can make some specific recommendations, too.

Thank you for your suggestion.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:32 AM
rlhayden

Have you considered getting the wheel repaired by someone like Wheels America for $129?
Old 11-14-2006, 11:41 AM
davidf

+1, it's quite possible it's repairable, that beats the hell out of $25/3500.00. Unless your in the mood for different wheels.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:57 PM
bullseye

I heard about wheel repair before, but I don't know too much about it. I do not know how I could go without a wheel while it's being repaired, for example. I also believe that repairing a wheel would not be as good as buying a new wheel, as far as structural integrity is concerned. The Tire Rack does not recommend wheel repair, nor would they refer me to a company that does it. I'm not surprised they would not make a referral. After all, they're in the business of selling new wheels. But still... I'm leary.

How does it work? How can anyone repair a bent wheel???
Old 11-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not purchase somewhere else besides Tire Rack? There are much better solutions out there such as Status etc.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:47 PM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Why not purchase somewhere else besides Tire Rack? There are much better solutions out there such as Status etc.
X2, got o a different shop. There are dozens of wheels that will fit your car and being a loyal customer TR should go out of their way to help you, and it doesn't seem like they are.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:30 PM
bullseye

I agree. I sense I'm getting short shrift from TTR, despite nearly a decade of loyalty. I have not bought wheels/tires anywhere else.

I spoke with a couple folks today, namely Stillen and Gruppe-S. Neither have wheels in-stock to fit my application. Stillen tried to talk me into buying wider wheels (and the wrong color, to boot), which would require me to roll my fenders to make them fit! I've spent a LOT of money with Stillen in the last 10 years, too.

Gruppe-S did not have prices available for 18" rims, and they told me they would need to be ordered from Japan... with a 2 month wait! They are going to call me tomorrow to confirm availability and cost.

I can't believe this is so hard!
Old 11-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good wheels are hard to come by, in the long run its worth the wait. Try Status or other vendors on the site. Im sure someone has something in stock that will fit. Try any of these guys
https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires-342/
Old 11-14-2006, 04:41 PM
bullseye

I looked at the Wheels America website. I'll call them tomorrow to find out what they can do...
Old 11-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Statusautodesign.com, Performance Nissan in Duarte (mynismo.com) can probably help you more.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:27 AM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Statusautodesign.com, Performance Nissan in Duarte (mynismo.com) can probably help you more.
+1. F1 Motorsports in North Hollywood is also a good choice.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

There are no 2 piece 18 inch wheels in stock right now but we do have 19's.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:49 PM
rlhayden

The wheel repair places claim an overnight turnaround on alloys. Chrome is another matter.

I understand they will not fix wheels with structural integrity issues.

2 weeks ago when I hit a pot-hole before dawn, the tire got a goose egg and the rim got bent. I hoped it would be ok with a new tire, but I am getting vibration above 80 mph. When I can be torn away from my car for 2 days, my '05 anniversary edition wheel (not so special, since it's stock on the '06) is getting fixed.

Good luck!
Old 11-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AP 4 piston kit or 6?
Old 11-15-2006, 08:27 PM
bullseye

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
AP 4 piston kit or 6?
I have 14.25" cross-drilled & slotted 2-pc rotors with 6-pot calipers in front. I have 13.00" cross-drilled & slotted 2-pc rotors with 4-pot calipers in the rear.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:39 PM
bullseye

The Tire Rack has not been helpful. It's been about 2 weeks since we found out the OZ wheels they sent won't fit. Today, finally, I've been told call tags and fresh packaging have been sent to my local dealer for the return. The Tire Rack sent me a short list of 19" wheels that will fit, none of which offer a staggered fitment. They insist an SSR solution is not available.

Today, I sent called and sent e-mail to Tanabe-USA, which purchased SSR. The person to whom I spoke there mentioned they have been receiving a very significant number of complaints from SSR owners about TTR. He said he would translate my e-mail into Japanese, and forward it to his HQ in Japan for assistance right away.

I hope Tanabe-USA/SSR can help. I have my fingers crossed...

Quick Reply: Wheel fitment issues with Stillen/AP BBKs