Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

03 Track Model Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:50 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by whitetrack
guitman32 - what was your autox times with the new setup? Did your times improve? Also, it looks like you have about 2 lbs. of weights on one of those rims. Were the other tires that far off as well?
My times did improve overall! Again, I don’t have any before/after data I can give, because I came to the event with the new tires only. To give you an idea, the best times of the day were the seasoned drivers running R-compounds, full setups, really great drivers - they were pulling mid 45s. My best was a 51, which was significantly closer to these front runners than I have been in the past (although still a lifetime away ). I would say this is a combo of driver improvement and the tires. Rough estimate, the tires are giving me around 2 seconds from my old tires....before people freak out and chastise me for claiming the Azenis are good for 2+ seconds, let me quantify by saying my old setup was completely bald Pilot Sports in the rear (like driving on ice - it was impossible to put power down or get any mechanical grip) and the sheit RE040 in the front (mediocre grip, but nice sidewall - generally crap).

Last edited by guitman32; 12-13-2006 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:54 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn, I still don't know what setup to put on my track rims. It seems almost everyone has a different thought on wheel sizes.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:13 AM
phooka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mw9
Damn, I still don't know what setup to put on my track rims. It seems almost everyone has a different thought on wheel sizes.
Im in the same boat as you. From what I've read most agree to go with 245/40 and 265/40. However, finding a 265/40 in the tire you want is difficult.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:44 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by guitman32
....before people freak out and chastise me for claiming the Azenis are good for 2+ seconds, let me quantify by saying my old setup was completely bald Pilot Sports in the rear (like driving on ice - it was impossible to put power down or get any mechanical grip) and the sheit RE040 in the front (mediocre grip, but nice sidewall - generally crap).
Falkens warm up quicker and offer better grip when cold, which makes them a favorite for AutoX. I run Kuhmo MX's for my Nissan '91 B13 and '95 U13, which really grip well for track use but are just "pretty good" for AutoX. They're also more of a track/street tire than the Azenis, which IMHO aren't as good in rougher pavement or in the wet. I have some Nittos for pure track use I like a lot.

Both my other cars were out a few weeks back and I ran my G Coupe in BS Class with my very worn Pilot Sports, same probably as you had, rears are on the wear bars - not quite as bad as you describe, I still get pretty good front grip as they're not so worn, but when pushed that rear end just broke loose - fun, but slow, my times were about 6-7 seconds off best times across classes, good part lack of skill, and in some part running very worn street tires - Falkens could easily have pulled back a few seconds a run for me.

It's also a good point to remember that if the question is "which wheels/tires would I use for track?" I'd ask "AutoX or Track?" because my answer would be different. AutoX needs tires that don't take time to warm up much, very stiff sidewalls, which may mean a wheel size and tire that gives you a lower profile than I'd want on a road course. Case in point was a guy in SM running his track car with 600 ft-lb springs and Kuhmo track tires, he had really poor grip with taller sidewall and tires that don't stick until they get pretty warm.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Octogoogles

Well I was hit by a tow truck the other day and he did a james bond number on the rim with his huge lug nuts. Now seems to be the time to get some wider rims. HAve to do research all over again