Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

TPS question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007 | 04:10 PM
JaX_Z

Default TPS question

so i just got some Track wheels for my touring model Z. On my way out of the tire shop they told me that i might have to have the TPS refreshed from the dealership to get them working again. So I took the car over to nissan today and they told me that they shouldnt need to be refreshed, scanned or any other method to get them working. He came out and looked at them and told me that he saw they had plastic black caps on the stems. The wheels themselves i bought off a member here and were painted black so i assumed he put them on to match. He told me that the caps on the wheels are not suppose to be changed because they have a special rubber seal in them that works with the TPS and that due to having these plastic black caps on them i might not get a reading and would also slowly lose air. Can anyone verify this or have any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanx
Old 01-11-2007 | 04:11 PM
Abishop

my TPS have metal caps, but sounds correct.
Old 01-11-2007 | 06:35 PM
THE TECH

The caps have jack shiet to do with the TPS working. If the sensors in the wheels are not from your car originally, then you will need to have Nissan recalibrate them for you.
Old 01-11-2007 | 06:44 PM
ANXIOUZ

Try another dealer. The TPS needs to be recalibrated to the new car. Period. The caps are insignificant like TECH mentioned. The sensors are IN the wheels measuring the pressure IN the wheels.
Old 01-11-2007 | 07:43 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

They need to be recalibrated, go to another dealership. The tech either was too lazy to do it, or doesn't know how to period..
Old 01-12-2007 | 06:51 AM
JaX_Z

ok thanx for the info guys, the main thing im worried about is losing air like he said. I can check them weekly by hand if needed.
Old 01-12-2007 | 03:58 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by JaX_Z
so i just got some Track wheels for my touring model Z. On my way out of the tire shop they told me that i might have to have the TPS refreshed from the dealership to get them working again. So I took the car over to nissan today and they told me that they shouldnt need to be refreshed, scanned or any other method to get them working. He came out and looked at them and told me that he saw they had plastic black caps on the stems. The wheels themselves i bought off a member here and were painted black so i assumed he put them on to match. He told me that the caps on the wheels are not suppose to be changed because they have a special rubber seal in them that works with the TPS and that due to having these plastic black caps on them i might not get a reading and would also slowly lose air. Can anyone verify this or have any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanx
You're probably low on headlamp fluid too...

Quality valve caps (with seals) are important in case of a valve faillure. But don't have anything to do with the TPMS system.
Old 01-12-2007 | 06:43 PM
chadalac350z

FYI: I just added the ruff racing wheels, cheap but nice i got pics if anyone is interested tps works fine in these wheels, I love them and very glad they work in the car to avoid the light but i have a question when i went in the shop all tps worked when i left 3 worked any help with this, i could really care less about this feature but i hat uneccessary yellow lights?
Old 01-12-2007 | 07:34 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

it takes about 10 mins. or so to "reflash" the tps sensors. it is easy and painless. They should have metal caps if they are indeed tps. Like Tech said the cap has nothing to do with the TPMS acting funny. It sux and needs to be addressed on all nissans.
There is a grommet on the tps, but if that were the case it would probably be worse than just inaccurate readings.
Old 01-13-2007 | 12:09 PM
Gilley

I agree about the caps. They have nothing to do with the TPMS working. If you took your original TPS valves from your original wheels and put them in the new wheels, you don't need to have them reflashed. If the TPS valves were already in your track wheels from the previous car, then you'll need to get them reflashed.
Old 01-14-2007 | 01:26 PM
JaX_Z

Originally Posted by Kolia
You're probably low on headlamp fluid too...

Quality valve caps (with seals) are important in case of a valve faillure. But don't have anything to do with the TPMS system.
thanks **** smoke
Old 01-15-2007 | 05:34 PM
Cheezwiz

Originally Posted by THE TECH
The caps have jack shiet to do with the TPS working. If the sensors in the wheels are not from your car originally, then you will need to have Nissan recalibrate them for you.
Actually the caps are important. The actual valve stems act as an antenna to the sensor internal to the wheel. The steel caps are part of that antenna. The sensor puts out a pretty weak signal to prolong the sensor's battery life and every little bit helps.

At least that's what my training video said and the technician probably believes the same.

Last edited by Cheezwiz; 01-15-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2007 | 11:06 AM
J~KiLLa

Default Tpms

I am installing TSW Montage rims 18x8 and 18X9.5... Will the TPMS work on these rims? if not how do i get them to work?
Old 01-17-2007 | 02:45 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Originally Posted by Cheezwiz
Actually the caps are important. The actual valve stems act as an antenna to the sensor internal to the wheel. The steel caps are part of that antenna. The sensor puts out a pretty weak signal to prolong the sensor's battery life and every little bit helps.

At least that's what my training video said and the technician probably believes the same.
Serious?

Originally Posted by JaX_Z
ok thanx for the info guys, the main thing im worried about is losing air like he said. I can check them weekly by hand if needed.
Btw just make sure that you put the sensors in the correct location. i.e. driver side front (stock) with driver side front (aftermarket), passenger side rear (stock) with passenger side rear (aftermarket), etc.

Last edited by Vq.turbo.DremZ; 01-17-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2007 | 06:41 AM
Gilley

Originally Posted by J~KiLLa
I am installing TSW Montage rims 18x8 and 18X9.5... Will the TPMS work on these rims? if not how do i get them to work?
I don't know if they will fit, but you can use a long worm band and strap them onto the rim before the tires go on. That's how I have mine and they work fine.