Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tsw

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 03:38 PM
redlude97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by platinumsc
Some of you guys sound like jerks who are followers instead of leaders, repeating crap without knowing the truth...sounding like owning a G35 or 350z makes you an elitest who has to put high end wheels on your car.
I have over 25 years experience with modding. TSW has a long history of making aftermarket wheels. They have been the wheel of choice of racing teams for years. I have never ever heard any stories of them breaking or bending under normal driving conditions. Just the opposite of many high end wheels that bend and break more easilty due to their lighter weight. I have never heard of TSW having surface or finish problems. Almost eveyone I know with high end wheels has to eventually have them refinished or polished...including me. High end wheels require much more care to keep them looking good.
I had a set of TSW in 93. I found them to be of good quality.
There is nothing wrong with buying high end wheels. There is also nothing wrong with buying good quality one piece cast wheels, especially from a reputable company.
So many guys talk that crap because they want to elevate themselves. Please don't put someone down for their choices.
Here's a pic of the TSW Nogaro on a Benz, looks great to me. If it looks good on a Benz how could it not be worthy of a Nissan?
Did you read the post at all? I linked a post made by a fellow g35 owner who broke 2 spokes during "normal driving"
Old 05-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redlude97
Did you read the post at all? I linked a post made by a fellow g35 owner who broke 2 spokes during "normal driving"

But let's be fair here. I read the whole thread, but at the same time.....have you ever heard of this being a "widespread" problem? I havent - and we have sold TSW since forever. It's also interesting to note that the person who posted the story purchased the wheels used, and had them chromed...so we have absolutely NO idea what the quality of these wheels were, or under what conditions they lived before the posted put them on his car. What's more, he also posted that the wheels had previously been "welded" - in other words, he bought parts that were in ****ty condition, and they didn't last...go figure

A word to the wise - don't play Perry Mason without citing all the facts

Maybe he should contact the person who he bought them from, or the person who chromed them - they are potentially as much to blame as anyone.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 05-24-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:46 PM
platinumsc

Originally Posted by redlude97
Yeah, I also read where the one guy says that break was because the car had been in an accident.
Look, I hang around wheels shops. I can tell you for sure TSW is strong. It's the high end wheels that come in for repair.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:47 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
But let's be fair here. I read the whole thread, but at the same time.....have you ever heard of this being a "widespread" problem? I havent - and we have sold TSW since forever. It's also interesting to note that the person who posted the story purchased the wheels used, and had them chromed...so we have absolutely NO idea what the quality of these wheels were, or under what conditions they lived before the posted put them on his car.

A word to the wise - don't play Perry Mason without citing all the facts

Maybe he should contact the person who he bought them from, or the person who chromed them - they are potentially as much to blame as anyone.
I never said its a widespread problem, I was just countering platinumsc's rant about NEVER hearing about problems with TSW wheels, they isn't anything special about them, they are cast 1 piece wheels and are just a prone to cracking as any other cast wheel of a similar weight and design.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

then edit your post because that is not at all what you suggested - it was hardly a "normal" condition..used wheels that have been chromed after the fact....I wouldn't call that "normal conditions"
Old 05-24-2007, 06:28 PM
platinumsc

Rant....look, here is my point in a nutshell.
Don't put someone down because they're not following the crowd with high end wheels. Especially when you use the "they are crap" comments and don't know what you're talking about. Respect people and their choices. It's okay to say you don't like something but give your own reasons from your own knowledge. If you have no knowledge of the product, don't be a poser by repeating stale rhetoric.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Korki Buchek

I don't like the way that TSW wheels look. Especially the mesh ones.

How should I back up my inherently subjective aesthetic judgment with hard data? I suppose I could poll 100 or 100,000 people and ask if they like the way TSW wheels look in comparison to other brands. But at the end of the day this wouldn't convince me one way or the other on whether they're good looking. Because, like most of the posters in this thread, I have a subjective judgment about the way the wheels look.

Also, the fact that TSW's don't come in for repair may be because it is not worth it to have them repaired. If you pay $4000+ for a set of wheels, you know damn well that if they break, you're not going to throw them in the trash. If the wheels were $800 you might just buy another set.

Last edited by Korki Buchek; 05-24-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:39 PM
goranglobarevic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly.. i get compliments all day long on mine...
and check out OPD in the last pic doing their job lool
Attached Thumbnails Tsw-l_383caa277f3a6feb8d56aee797874a9d.jpg   Tsw-l_c4ad5d7789f2ccd656219af94dff479c.jpg   Tsw-l_6e19e444694319184628ba2f314d54fa.jpg   Tsw-l_356cab16fc6338963ebaa06f84a7bfff.jpg   Tsw-l_aabfea9bb9ef38cb52d8ba28a5ebcc90.jpg  

Old 05-24-2007, 06:50 PM
goranglobarevic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and that sucks for the guy that it cracked for.. i really doubt tsw is gonna sht shyt all about it...
Old 05-24-2007, 07:17 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had TSW Mondello wheels on my '04 G35 coupe (I think I had the first set in AZ on a G35) and I loved them; no complaints/no durability or quality problems, and no drivability or handling issues. I thought they complimented the G's design quite well. Here's a couple of pics off of the TSW site:

...AND I received tons of compliments about them. I never personally heard or heard 2nd/3rd hand about anyone talking badly about my wheels. In fact, there were a few other G35 coupes in the parking lot at a second job site I worked at, and within 6 months, 2 other G35 coupes had the same wheels!!! They say imitation is the highest form of flattery.

My '04 got wrecked and I had almost 60K miles on my car and over 30K on those wheels with no problems. I replaced my '04 with a new '06, which already came with 19" forged wheels. As much as I liked my TSW Mondello wheels, I have decided to go with a lighter forged wheel next time around (I'm thinking I-Forged).

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 05-25-2007 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Some of you guys sound like jerks who are followers instead of leaders, repeating crap without knowing the truth...sounding like owning a G35 or 350z makes you an elitest who has to put high end wheels on your car.
I have over 25 years experience with modding. TSW has a long history of making aftermarket wheels. They have been the wheel of choice of racing teams for years. I have never ever heard any stories of them breaking or bending under normal driving conditions. Just the opposite of many high end wheels that bend and break more easilty due to their lighter weight. I have never heard of TSW having surface or finish problems. Almost eveyone I know with high end wheels has to eventually have them refinished or polished...including me. High end wheels require much more care to keep them looking good.
I had a set of TSW in 93. I found them to be of good quality.
There is nothing wrong with buying high end wheels. There is also nothing wrong with buying good quality one piece cast wheels, especially from a reputable company.
So many guys talk that crap because they want to elevate themselves. Please don't put someone down for their choices.
Here's a pic of the TSW Nogaro on a Benz, looks great to me. If it looks good on a Benz how could it not be worthy of a Nissan?
just to be clear. I never said they would break. I never said that the wheels had to be expensive to be nice.

I just think they have horrible, tasteless designs and that is it. and the Z is not a lux-o cruiser, it is a sports car, so rims that 'fit' a luxury sedan don't translate to the Z.

and seriously, don't use benzs as any sort of example... I have seen some truly horrendous wheels on benzs... and they don't 'look good' on that car either . they look just as stupid as they would on a Z.

Last edited by Motormouth; 05-24-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Rant....look, here is my point in a nutshell.
Don't put someone down because they're not following the crowd with high end wheels. Especially when you use the "they are crap" comments and don't know what you're talking about. Respect people and their choices. It's okay to say you don't like something but give your own reasons from your own knowledge. If you have no knowledge of the product, don't be a poser by repeating stale rhetoric.
yeah... liking nice wheels is 'following the crowd'... lol at you.

if you can tell me for one second that you wouldn't rather have a forged lightweight rim, or even a rim from a (as you say) 'higher end' manufacturer then a TSW, then I think you are not being quite honest with me.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:27 AM
platinumsc

Originally Posted by Motormouth
yeah... liking nice wheels is 'following the crowd'... lol at you.

if you can tell me for one second that you wouldn't rather have a forged lightweight rim, or even a rim from a (as you say) 'higher end' manufacturer then a TSW, then I think you are not being quite honest with me.
I agree there is nothing like the look you get with a high end wheel. HRE seems to do it best for me. That lustre and craftsmanship seems to be above the rest. On the other hand, there are stories of them breaking on the track. But I do agree I would rather have the best look. But that's all it is...the look. There is no other advantage for street use.

My real intent is to say don't be mean and too critical when someone chooses a lesser wheel. Show some respect and class. It's okay to say, "I'm not feeling it." Comments like, That wheel is crap....that's what gets me. We drive a nice car...let's act like we have some class.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:27 AM
Motormouth
Banned

I agree there is nothing like the look you get with a high end wheel. HRE seems to do it best for me. That lustre and craftsmanship seems to be above the rest. On the other hand, there are stories of them breaking on the track. But I do agree I would rather have the best look. But that's all it is...the look. There is no other advantage for street use.

My real intent is to say don't be mean and too critical when someone chooses a lesser wheel. Show some respect and class. It's okay to say, "I'm not feeling it." Comments like, That wheel is crap....that's what gets me. We drive a nice car...let's act like we have some class.
sorry, it just offends me. TSW has subpar designs that should never be put on a Z. that is all I am going to say. Enkie makes some *** ugly wheels as well so I do not play favorites. TSW could be ligthweight forged and 9k for a set and I still would say they are junk.

and there is a use for a quality wheel: lightening. < that is very useful on the street. my TEs cut 4+ pounds off each wheel while being 2 inches wider and 1 inch larger in diameter. if I got stock size tes that would be alot more.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:38 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Motormouth
sorry, it just offends me. TSW has subpar designs that should never be put on a Z. that is all I am going to say. Enkie makes some *** ugly wheels as well so I do not play favorites. TSW could be ligthweight forged and 9k for a set and I still would say they are junk.

and there is a use for a quality wheel: lightening. < that is very useful on the street. my TEs cut 4+ pounds off each wheel while being 2 inches wider and 1 inch larger in diameter. if I got stock size tes that would be alot more.
I'm as big a fan of nice, high end stuff, and lightweight items too, but let's get dillusional and think that 16 lbs of weight, be it sprung, or unsprung is doing anything for us when rolling around on the street. That's like saying a front lip spoiler can add downforce - maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but are you going to feel that or notice that when you're going to the deli to get a sandwhich? Absolutely not
Old 05-25-2007, 06:46 AM
Miraclekidjr
Banned

What??? A wheel that is not Volk or Work?
What the hell is wrong with you
None of them look good on the Z IMO
Old 05-25-2007, 06:56 AM
Motormouth
Banned

I'm as big a fan of nice, high end stuff, and lightweight items too, but let's get dillusional and think that 16 lbs of weight, be it sprung, or unsprung is doing anything for us when rolling around on the street. That's like saying a front lip spoiler can add downforce - maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but are you going to feel that or notice that when you're going to the deli to get a sandwhich? Absolutely not
16 pounds of unsprung weight... yes. and when it affects your braking distances, acceleration and handling, yes.

at our club we had a guy with 20 inch chrome rims... we drove his, then a member with stock rims (not even lighter) and the difference was night and day. so rim choice really affects a car's character.

then throw in the fact that it's 16 pounds lighter and much wider (= wider tires) and still, yes a difference.

and the way I drive to get a sandwich... I def. notice

Last edited by Motormouth; 05-25-2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:58 AM
Motormouth
Banned

let me clarify: I don't think it is gonna make the car feel like a ferrari compared to a yugo just by losing 16 pounds from stock. but how heavy are the 19 inch TSWs or 20inch TSWs compared to stock? the difference in weight could be much more noticeable.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:03 AM
Korki Buchek

I agreed with you up until you said "Enkei has some ugly *** designs." While some of their designs aren't my choice, Enkei is a solid manufacturer with a long history in the tuning and racing field. I'd go for a set of lightweight racing Enkei's over just about any set of Works or Volks.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Yes rim choice can affect a cars character as it affects other aspects of the car (tire choice has the bigger change BTW) - but that's not what I am talking about.

Not for nothing, but having owned, built and raced cars for the last 16 years of my life, I know a thing or two about what mods make a noticeable difference and what mods don't on the street, and I've had a unique opportunity to have the luxury of trying parts out, on my own car, just for the hell of it. But let's not get confused - this ain't Le Mans, and we're not building race cars here (most of us at least). While I sell this stuff for a living, I'd never try to convince myself, or anyone else, that they will notice 16 lbs of unsprung weight, split among 4 wheels, on their street car. If you claim you are so sensitive that you notice the difference, then more power to ya.

Again, this does not negate the fact that one might still choose to purchase said items - hell I've got stuff on my car that I know full well I have absolutely zero need for (actually, it's quite a long list) ...but it did not diminish my desire for those items.

Quick Reply: Tsw