Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 12:42 PM
roberto350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wider tires: my opinion...dont do it

had some bfgoodrich g-force KDWS put on my car. I had the sizes

245/45-17
255/45-17

put on my car. Everybody was talking about how this configuration is the widest you can go. I disagree. The widest you should go is the stock size!

there is the possibility that the brand just sucked...but these were my observations. The side to side transient movement bugged. This was most noticeable when the tires "tracked" on the freeway. The car felt more confused and less stable. Also during wide sweeping freeway turns at about 70mph, the car was evenmore unsettled leaving the car to feel like a camaro or mustang. Infact these tire sizes are the stock sizes for the mustang. I fiddled with tire pressure and 32psi left the car sloppy in terms of 300zx sloppy. Not aweful, just not a 350z. Increasing pressure to 35psi left the ride bouncy and non-grippy.

Also, the handling dept. was not improved over the REO4O's. You dont gain much by having the wider tires on a nice tight freeway on-ramp IMO.

They did look better however, being wider BUT I exchanged the tires for michelin pilot sports and THEY look awesome with the tread pattern. I will review the pilot sports if you want, but the ride quality I expect from the Z has returned with the stock size.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:53 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Your situation is not the norm IMHO

What? I got Toyo 265/35-18 on fts and 395/35-18 rears. My Z rides freat, steers great, handles better, does not track, and looks better. Maybe you got a different issue than tire width. Try another brand, maybe ride in another persons Z that has bigger tires. I think your situation is not the norm.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:16 PM
srobert910

Wow, a 395/35/18 is quite a tire. j/k i know what you meant, 295 is in your signature.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:28 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I think it is the tires, you have almost the same sidewall so you shouldn't have any effect on the handling, you need to get some Z rated tires that will have stiffer sidewalls and handle much better, I love my Toyo but you could probably do alright with Kumho MX's
Old 05-17-2003, 02:51 PM
bigworm521

yeah there is more to your problem than just wider tires...I have 285's with ZERO problem....lots of people here have bigger than stock tires with no probs either
Old 05-17-2003, 03:27 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wider tires: my opinion...dont do it

Originally posted by roberto350z
had some bfgoodrich g-force KDWS put on my car. I had the sizes

245/45-17
255/45-17

put on my car. Everybody was talking about how this configuration is the widest you can go. I disagree. The widest you should go is the stock size!

there is the possibility that the brand just sucked...but these were my observations. The side to side transient movement bugged. This was most noticeable when the tires "tracked" on the freeway. The car felt more confused and less stable. Also during wide sweeping freeway turns at about 70mph, the car was evenmore unsettled leaving the car to feel like a camaro or mustang. Infact these tire sizes are the stock sizes for the mustang. I fiddled with tire pressure and 32psi left the car sloppy in terms of 300zx sloppy. Not aweful, just not a 350z. Increasing pressure to 35psi left the ride bouncy and non-grippy.

Also, the handling dept. was not improved over the REO4O's. You dont gain much by having the wider tires on a nice tight freeway on-ramp IMO.

They did look better however, being wider BUT I exchanged the tires for michelin pilot sports and THEY look awesome with the tread pattern. I will review the pilot sports if you want, but the ride quality I expect from the Z has returned with the stock size.
I think it is the BFGOODWENCH tires and NOT the size
Old 05-18-2003, 12:00 AM
N74DV

I have 245 and 285's the difference is AMAZING! this car if firmly planted on the ground... I can't seem to break it loose... I just took some nice sweeping turns at 120+ today

it was like a rock... stuck to the ground...

wider is better
Old 05-19-2003, 06:37 AM
roberto350z

you guys who are replying apparently have aftermarket wheels. My point makes no sense if you have a wider rim!

I did notice one thing, the KDWS are very quiet and very comfortable, so they dont strike as being so "high performance." My pilotsports are loud and stick well. Now thats a performance tire.

Any way, the increase in overall rubber between the road and the tire with the stock rim did not work out. At lleast w/goodrich.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:44 AM
westpak
SFZCC

you guys who are replying apparently have aftermarket wheels. My point makes no sense if you have a wider rim!

I did notice one thing, the KDWS are very quiet and very comfortable, so they dont strike as being so "high performance." My pilotsports are loud and stick well. Now thats a performance tire.

Any way, the increase in overall rubber between the road and the tire with the stock rim did not work out. At lleast w/goodrich.
I have the same combination you have except on the 18 inch Rays and they work fine, you will get a better ride with perfomance tires (Z rated) but you might also be right about the 255, maybe 245 would be the widest I would go with on the 8 inch rim.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:21 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

That is my error not considering wheel width. I was only considering tire width. I know that if you have a proper wheel for a wider tire, handling and performance are improved.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:07 AM
Quick

i hope you mean you got the kd's or the kdw's not the kdws. The kdws are a snow/all season tire. The breakdown is like this:

kd = dry traction
kdw = dry/wet tracktion
kdws = dry/wet/snow traction

kdws also = really poor handeling due to compound and tread pattern designed for snow.

If you did have the kdws, i would not be surprised by the handeling problems at all....
Old 05-19-2003, 12:19 PM
PistolPete

I'm running wider tires, and do notice they track grooves more than the stock tires. It's rarely noticeable though. I am very pleased with my setup. I had no real complaints with the RE40s other than hooking up from a stop. My new tires seem to handle as well in turns and hook up better in first.