Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Why does my SLIP and Brake light turn on when I drive hard?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:08 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fronts changed.85% from stock,
Rears changed 4.47% from stock.
275/35 would have been the correct size.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:17 AM
raf84ny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ +1
get 275/35 - rear tire does not have a large enough overall diameter ...
Old 10-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had this problem while using stock wheels and tires. Usually it happens when I drive agressively during autocross or drifting practice and I jam on the brakes during a hard turn. I've noticed that when they are lit, that the ABS no longer works, so I usually turn the key off and on again and it resets it. I don't know why it does it, but I always assumed it was some type of failsafe.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Laughitup85
sry it took so long to respond bad connection... but heres the tire lay out

Dunlop DZ101 245/35/19 and 275/30/19
Ok... got it. You have already received the answer, so my post is just confirmation.

Your rear tires are the wrong size. You need 275/35-19" tires.

Your fronts are OK.

--Spike
Old 10-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Korki Buchek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z04
that is the cars way of telling you to stop driving like an idiot
Elle oh elle.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:26 AM
Laughitup85

Originally Posted by Spike100
Ok... got it. You have already received the answer, so my post is just confirmation.

Your rear tires are the wrong size. You need 275/35-19" tires.

Your fronts are OK.

--Spike
even though they are the wrong size, will I be alright without changing them and just deal with the lights? Or will I actually lose my anti-lock brack ability? also even though the tire size is off, could it also be low brake pads?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Spike100

even though they are the wrong size, will I be alright without changing them and just deal with the lights? Or will I actually lose my anti-lock brack ability? also even though the tire size is off, could it also be low brake pads?
I don’t think the problem is your brake pads. You should change your rear tires installing ones with the correct overall diameter. Driving on your current setup is dangerous. Here is a possible scenario:

You are on the expressway and enter an exit ramp at a fairly high speed. The ramp has a gradual turn that you begin to follow. Suddenly your car begins to slow and handle erratically. You see your ABS and SLIP lights as the rear end of the car begins moving outwards. If you attempt to correct this by counter steering, you could make matters worse causing the backend of the car to start moving the opposite direction.

What’s going on here? Your undersized tires are fooling VDC into “thinking” you are starting to slide out of control. To correct this, VDC begins tapping brakes on different corners to align your car with the direction your front tires are pointing. That’s why you see the ABS light. At the same time TCS kills power to the rear wheels attempting to slow the car. About all you can do, and probably what you should do, is depress the clutch, get off the accelerator, and allow TCS to slow the car. Depressing the accelerator won’t do anything since TCS is killing power. You probably won’t lose control; but the episode would be scary, especially if you have fast moving traffic bearing down on you from behind.

The only way you can safely drive your VDC equipped car with wrong sized tires is turning VDC off. The problem is you will eventually forget to do this. If someone else drives the car, they may not know to do this.

You need new rear tires that are the right size.

--Spike
Old 10-05-2007, 02:22 PM
TheGest

take it to the dealer, samething happened to mine
Old 10-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by TheGest
take it to the dealer, samething happened to mine
Why would you take the car to the dealer? What's the dealer going to do other than suggest installing the correct tire size?

I may have missed your point.

--Spike
Old 10-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Laughitup85

I don’t think the problem is your brake pads. You should change your rear tires installing ones with the correct overall diameter. Driving on your current setup is dangerous. Here is a possible scenario:

You are on the expressway and enter an exit ramp at a fairly high speed. The ramp has a gradual turn that you begin to follow. Suddenly your car begins to slow and handle erratically. You see your ABS and SLIP lights as the rear end of the car begins moving outwards. If you attempt to correct this by counter steering, you could make matters worse causing the backend of the car to start moving the opposite direction.

What’s going on here? Your undersized tires are fooling VDC into “thinking” you are starting to slide out of control. To correct this, VDC begins tapping brakes on different corners to align your car with the direction your front tires are pointing. That’s why you see the ABS light. At the same time TCS kills power to the rear wheels attempting to slow the car. About all you can do, and probably what you should do, is depress the clutch, get off the accelerator, and allow TCS to slow the car. Depressing the accelerator won’t do anything since TCS is killing power. You probably won’t lose control; but the episode would be scary, especially if you have fast moving traffic bearing down on you from behind.

The only way you can safely drive your VDC equipped car with wrong sized tires is turning VDC off. The problem is you will eventually forget to do this. If someone else drives the car, they may not know to do this.

You need new rear tires that are the right size.

--Spike
Ok but 9 1/2 times out of 10 I am driving with my VDC off but I still get the lights. I will ultimatly fix the rear tires, but just to verify I "should" be alright driving with my VDC off?
Old 10-06-2007, 08:55 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

VDC, TCS and ABS are an interrelated system. I would prefer to drive the 350Z with the correct tire set-up. But that's just me.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Sponge

You need to replace your rears. This has been discussed several times with people seeing what you report with respect to the SLIP light coming on. The front to rear ratio is off and this is what the car's computer uses to determine whether or not your rears are slipping. Cornering exagerates the problem because the outside tires are now spinning faster than the inside tires on the corner.

Replacing the tires will fix the issue.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:37 AM
CAVZ33

Ok but 9 1/2 times out of 10 I am driving with my VDC off but I still get the lights. I will ultimatly fix the rear tires, but just to verify I "should" be alright driving with my VDC off?

Just take the advice and change the tires, no way around it. I was in the same boat and almost got hit twice on the freeway. Since the change of tires I have had no issues.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Spike100

Still getting the lights with VDC off... Hmmm...

I can’t answer your question without more information.

Questions:

1) Is your method starting the car, pulling out and then turning VDC off, or do you start the car and turn VDC off before you start driving (before you are rolling)?

2) When you see the SLIP light and VDC is off, does TCS actually slow the car (do you feel a dramatic loss of power)?

3) Once the SLIP light goes on, does it stay on? Does toggling the VDC button make it (SLIP) go off once it is on?

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 10-06-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Laughitup85

Still getting the lights with VDC off... Hmmm...

I can’t answer your question without more information.

Questions:

1) Is your method starting the car, pulling out and then turning VDC off, or do you start the car and turn VDC off before you start driving (before you are rolling)?

2) When you see the SLIP light and VDC is off, does TCS actually slow the car (do you feel a dramatic loss of power)?

3) Once the SLIP light goes on, does it stay on? Does toggling the VDC button make it (SLIP) go off once it is on?

--Spike
1) I start tthe car and turn the VDC off immediatly
2) I don't lose any power the lights just turn on
3) Once the brake light and Slip light turn on I try toggeling the VDC and it stays locked on "VDCoff" and just to let you know I'mpretty sure I don't have TCS, but I'm not completly sure, but I do know there is no button for it.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Blooster

Originally Posted by raf84ny
^ +1
get 275/35 - rear tire does not have a large enough overall diameter ...
Happened to me. Get your rear tires changed and all will be well - I promise! Yell at whoever installed the wrong size on your car and make them do it for free. It's not the brakes and you should not have to turn off your VDC, though that's what TWO dealer service reps told me.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Spike100

1) I start tthe car and turn the VDC off immediatly
2) I don't lose any power the lights just turn on
3) Once the brake light and Slip light turn on I try toggeling the VDC and it stays locked on "VDCoff" and just to let you know I'mpretty sure I don't have TCS, but I'm not completly sure, but I do know there is no button for it.
If your car has VDC, then it also has TCS (TCS is part of VDC).

If you cannot toggle VDC on/off, it's your tire size causing the problem.

--Spike
Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Laughitup85

thanks guys
Old 10-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Spike100

thanks guys
I realize this is an indication that you as the OP consider the thread closed, but I thought about your problem a little more realizing that your real question was never answered. You are wondering why the SLIP light (and also the ABS light) display when you have turned VDC off, and if it is safe to drive this way (SLIP and ABS indicators illuminated). You would think that the SLIP light would only illuminate when VDC is on and activates TCS.

To answer this question, consider the posts by guys who have VDC or TCS, and turn these off when doing burnouts and “donuts.” Although they have VDC or TCS off, they report seeing the SLIP light (and the ABS light if they have VDC). If they have VDC or just TCS; and although they see the SLIP light, they do not experience acceleration kill (TCS isn’t active, just the SLIP light). If they have VDC, they also might see the ABS light, but VDC doesn’t tap the brakes at different corners to straighten the car to the front wheel-direction. The only way they can turn the SLIP light and ABS light off is to restart the car.

So what’s going on here? It appears that even when VDC (or TCS with cars equipped with just TCS) is off, its sensors remain active. That makes sense. It is a safety device. When VDC/TCS is off but its sensors detect a problem, the SLIP light goes on, but the system does nothing past indicating a problem. That’s why you see the indicator with your incorrectly sized tires when you have VDC off, but you don’t experience acceleration-kill or active ABS function.

Is it safe to drive the car this way? Obviously Nissan doesn’t want you to do this or they wouldn’t have bothered programming the system to indicate a problem even when it is turned off.

Could this damage the car? Who knows? Best case is a burned out SLIP bulb. Worse case is damage to the car’s electronics. It’s probably not worth taking the chance when the fix (installing correctly sized tires) is so simple.

Hope this is helpful,

--Spike
Old 10-09-2007, 01:39 AM
Laughitup85

I realize this is an indication that you as the OP consider the thread closed, but I thought about your problem a little more realizing that your real question was never answered. You are wondering why the SLIP light (and also the ABS light) display when you have turned VDC off, and if it is safe to drive this way (SLIP and ABS indicators illuminated). You would think that the SLIP light would only illuminate when VDC is on and activates TCS.

To answer this question, consider the posts by guys who have VDC or TCS, and turn these off when doing burnouts and “donuts.” Although they have VDC or TCS off, they report seeing the SLIP light (and the ABS light if they have VDC). If they have VDC or just TCS; and although they see the SLIP light, they do not experience acceleration kill (TCS isn’t active, just the SLIP light). If they have VDC, they also might see the ABS light, but VDC doesn’t tap the brakes at different corners to straighten the car to the front wheel-direction. The only way they can turn the SLIP light and ABS light off is to restart the car.

So what’s going on here? It appears that even when VDC (or TCS with cars equipped with just TCS) is off, its sensors remain active. That makes sense. It is a safety device. When VDC/TCS is off but its sensors detect a problem, the SLIP light goes on, but the system does nothing past indicating a problem. That’s why you see the indicator with your incorrectly sized tires when you have VDC off, but you don’t experience acceleration-kill or active ABS function.

Is it safe to drive the car this way? Obviously Nissan doesn’t want you to do this or they wouldn’t have bothered programming the system to indicate a problem even when it is turned off.

Could this damage the car? Who knows? Best case is a burned out SLIP bulb. Worse case is damage to the car’s electronics. It’s probably not worth taking the chance when the fix (installing correctly sized tires) is so simple.

Hope this is helpful,

--Spike
thanks bro i really appreciate the help from you! I plan to call the company i bought my rims and tires from when i get back from being underwy (Navy). I just can't believe that they would give me a f***ed up setting for my tires when they were supposed to be specifically for my Z

Quick Reply: Why does my SLIP and Brake light turn on when I drive hard?