Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Problem replacing stock tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 02:00 PM
z_roadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem replacing stock tires

So I took my Volk Gts' off the other day to replace them with my stock wheels for the winter, but the stocks wouldn't fit properly. I think the problem is that when I took my stock wheels off to put my volks on, i had to remove a little bolt from the face of the two front rotors because they wouldn't fit with them on, I think they were there to help hold the stock wheels in place. Anyways, I lost those bolts and tried to order them from nissan, but the guy said he didn't know what i was talking about. Anyone know the name of the bolts? and do you guys think I need them to put my stock wheels on? I was in a rush when i was putting my stocks back on so maybe they didn't sit properly for another reason? Anyone have similar problems?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:44 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Volk wheels have a hub centric ring. When you removed the wheel, you inadvertently left the ring on the hub.

Last edited by davidv; 11-27-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:24 PM
z_roadster

Originally Posted by davidv

The Volk wheels have a hub centric ring. When you removed the wheel, you inadvertently left the ring on the hub.
Nope, thats not the problem, I remember taking it off before i tried to put the stock wheel on
Old 11-27-2007, 03:33 PM
zdatsun

I know what screws you're talking about but I've used my stock wheels without them on for a short period of time with no problem. I can't remember the name but the dealer should be able to pull up a pic so you can point out to him what you're talking about....
Old 11-27-2007, 03:33 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Those little bolts that came on the Z initially have nothing to do with your problem. I removed mine two years ago and swap between Volks and OEM wheels twice a month when autocrossing. If you accidently leave the hub rings (they may not be pretty blue metal that davidv posted, mine are black plastic), the wheels will not fit properly. They will rock around and not mate to the brake rotor hub.

Maybe it would help if you describe in detail what you mean by "they don't fit".
Old 11-27-2007, 03:56 PM
z_roadster

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Those little bolts that came on the Z initially have nothing to do with your problem. I removed mine two years ago and swap between Volks and OEM wheels twice a month when autocrossing. If you accidently leave the hub rings (they may not be pretty blue metal that davidv posted, mine are black plastic), the wheels will not fit properly. They will rock around and not mate to the brake rotor hub.

Maybe it would help if you describe in detail what you mean by "they don't fit".
thanks for the reply, I think i'll give it another try later. And when i said they don't fit properly, I meant that they don't hug the rotor as well as they should. They just don't sit on it as snug as they should, it seemed as if something was getting in the way.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:09 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by z_roadster
thanks for the reply, I think i'll give it another try later. And when i said they don't fit properly, I meant that they don't hug the rotor as well as they should. They just don't sit on it as snug as they should, it seemed as if something was getting in the way.
If the wheel fits over the center of the hub center without binding, and the back of the wheel is flat against the hub, then there is no problem.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:11 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Definatly the hubring. Mine blended in a couple weeks ago during a swap. It much have taken me a good 5 seconds to figure it out.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:18 PM
z_roadster

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Definatly the hubring. Mine blended in a couple weeks ago during a swap. It much have taken me a good 5 seconds to figure it out.
It just seems too obvious. I don't see how I didn't notice the hub rings. w.e that was probably the problem
Old 11-28-2007, 07:13 AM
tonester1011
CF God

just get a big sledge hammer and whack the crap out of the wheels to get them back on...it should work.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 AM
z_roadster

I ended up trying again last night and yeah i think it was the hub ring that gave me problems in the first place. Now the only problem is that I lost the lock lug key for the last wheel so i got all the stock wheels on besides one lol. can i just take it to nissan and they can screw the lug off for me?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:54 PM
davidv

I ended up trying again last night and yeah i think it was the hub ring that gave me problems in the first place. Now the only problem is that I lost the lock lug key for the last wheel so i got all the stock wheels on besides one lol. can i just take it to nissan and they can screw the lug off for me?
A competent shop will remove the lock with a nut-buster or cold chisel.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:03 PM
LeMans 05

You seem to be doing this badly.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:27 PM
z_roadster

Originally Posted by LeMans 05
You seem to be doing this badly.
lol life sucks. it has to be in my garage somewhere, I was changing my wheels at 10pm so there wasn't much lighting

Last edited by z_roadster; 11-28-2007 at 03:29 PM.