Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Adviced Needed for Wheels/Tires!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:16 AM
tresani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Adviced Needed for Wheels/Tires!

So here's the deal, I don't like the wheels on my car now (17 GN+'s) and I have found a style of wheel I really like. What I'd like to check is to see if I will have any problems with clearance, I would prefer not to roll my fenders. I currently have stock suspension. I'm considering putting on tanabe gf210 springs as well, and was wondering if anyone had done this with the wheel size below.

I Think 245x35 and 275x35 front/rear tires. Will the offset be any problem for me? Will it clear?

Bolt pattern : 5 x 114.3
Size : 19 x 8.5(front) & 19 x 9.5(rear)
Offset : 35mm
Lip size : 2.5" (front) & 3" (rear)

I did look around a lot, but couldn't find the info I was looking for - so here I am posting. While I am wearing a flame retardent suit, please just don't respond unless you have something helpfull to say. Thanks a ton!
Old 11-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Beau

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those offsets will fit, but something in the mid to low 20's would be better. You could probably go down to something in the teens even.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:33 PM
tresani

Thanks for the info Beau, mind if I ask why it would be better? The wheels I like seem to only come in +35's ... could I use a spacer and get into the 20's? Say a 10mm spacer?

Edit, they seem to be 32mm's in the front, and 35mm offset in the rear.

Last edited by tresani; 11-30-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Beau

This site will help you out a lot. http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Your factory wheels are either 7.5 or 8 inches wide in front and 8 or 8.5 in the rear. I believe all factory front wheels have a 30mm offset and all factory rear wheels are a 33mm offset. That is very close anyway. 35-40mm offset is a typical front wheel drive offset. Rear wheel drive cars typically use much lower offsets.

So, if you got those wheels you described, they would be almost as sunken in as your factory wheels. If that's what you like, then they are perfect. Most people want the wheels to fit flush with the fenders or close to that. You could easily just throw on a spacer and make them fit more flush though. Not the best option, but as long as it's done properly (longer studs if necessary) then it'll never be a problem.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:53 PM
tresani

Thanks a ton Beau - much appreciated advice.

I think I'll try getting them, and get a spacer if I don't like it ... the wheels i have now are not stock anywho.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:10 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey man...I'd really try to find a wheel with the proper offset. Spacers should be a last resort especially when you are commited to purchasing new wheels.

...and I'd stay in the 20's for offsets...teens is pushing it for clearance.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Hey man...I'd really try to find a wheel with the proper offset. Spacers should be a last resort especially when you are commited to purchasing new wheels.

...and I'd stay in the 20's for offsets...teens is pushing it for clearance.
Glad to hear someone with experience and knowledge making this suggestion. I’m pretty much a neophyte in the wheel department, but I’m considering new wheels (after doing a lot of reading and searching here).

What I don’t get at all is why anyone would buy expensive wheels with the wrong offset and then add spacers. I would think you should buy a wheel that fits correctly and not bother with “spacer-patches.”

Maybe it is a need for “fine-tuning” that I don’t understand; or maybe it is simply that I’m not getting it?

--Spike
Old 11-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Beau

I agree that spacers should be avoided at all costs. Seems like most of the wheels with the right offsets are at least a couple hundred more per wheel a lot of the time.

OP: Look around on www.gruppe-s.com for wheels that will fit right. Also try www.edgeracing.com and look at the 5Zigen FN01-RC and the GN+ that you already have comes in a variety of offsets. Another possibility is www.vividracing.com And check the classifieds on this site. The forum sponsors offer excellent deals on wheels very often.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:35 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
Glad to hear someone with experience and knowledge making this suggestion. I’m pretty much a neophyte in the wheel department, but I’m considering new wheels (after doing a lot of reading and searching here).

What I don’t get at all is why anyone would buy expensive wheels with the wrong offset and then add spacers. I would think you should buy a wheel that fits correctly and not bother with “spacer-patches.”

Maybe it is a need for “fine-tuning” that I don’t understand; or maybe it is simply that I’m not getting it?

--Spike
Members will buy wheels not designed for the 350Z, then add spacers to “made it fit.”
Old 11-30-2007, 11:37 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Beau
This site will help you out a lot. http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
Great tool. If members used it properly, it would end 90-percent of the “Will this fit?” threads.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:05 AM
tresani

The real problem is that the type of wheel I like I have looked everywhere, and every single style of the wheel has a +35 offset.

Not to mention, not everyone is familiar with wheel offsets, exactly how they work, and rather than assuming I was right with the offset calculator and then buying the WRONG stuff, its much less expensive to ask here and get an answer from people who know what they are doing.

And as beau said, it seems to fit fine, and as long as its the 'stock' sunken style that seems pleasing to the owner, then it works.

And since I can't post in the classifieds section yet, the style i like is the Racing Hart C4's. I'm just not willing to spend 600 a wheel on a brand I don't know other than racing hart's, and they aren't making c4's any more from what I can tell. Not to mention you can pickup the +35mm offset wheels pretty cheap, which is a plus for those of us who don't have $$$ growing on tree's.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:29 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with what you are saying tresani, but since you want to be so careful with your money you are going to have to invest some time to figure things out for yourself or you will never be confident in your decision.

First, decide on the size tires you want to run. Then choose the wheel diameter and widths appropriate. Then suspension/ride height. Then offset.

You can do an enormous amount of that research here seeing what has worked for others...many different solutions to the same problem. PM's work great for this. If you see someone has the same GF210 springs, ask them their wheel specs and whether or not they had to cut or roll the fender, etc.

The basic wheel design of the RH C4 is fairly common in other brands...so keep looking around.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 AM
tresani

Thanks 350z, I definitly respect people that post helpfull information ... rather than the "OMG WTF USE SEARCH", so i really do appreciate it.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Members will buy wheels not designed for the 350Z, then add spacers to “made it fit.”
Thanks David... I'm working hard at this (trying to understand aftermarket wheels), and hopefully I'm starting to see the various parameters (fitment and positioning-esthetics). Part of my problem is just being too practical and utilitarian, and that “blocks” my acceptance of using spacers. I think I see the point (using spacers…thanks to your message).

--Spike