Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

VDC and S-tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 06:14 AM
uro279

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDC and S-tune

If the current s-tune set-up is only for Z's w/o VDC, what about other suspensions. I know for a fact that Tein tested their Flex set-up w/o VDC because I called and asked.

My Z is not my daily driver. It is for good weather/Track/autox. So I'll primarily not be using VDC. However, on the street, especially if the weather turns bad on me, I be using VDC.

So what do you guys think?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:57 AM
TCL

I'm hoping that the NISMO product planner who posts on this forum will respond as to whether and when they plan to release a version that has been tested with the VDC.

I plan to call my dealer on Monday (the official US release date) to ask the same question if nothing pops up the Nissan USA web site before then.

What would I do if they don't plan to release a version for the VDC equipped cars? Probably buy the NISMO non-VDC sways bars (without the warranty), keep the stock springs (I'd prefer not to lower the car), and buy a good set of adjustable shocks when they become available (e.g. Koni).
Old 06-14-2003, 05:42 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think VDC matters in reagrds to suspension. There are no VDC/non-VDC specific setup for any of the suspension manufacturers. I'm running the Tein Flex set up on my Z w/ VDC as are many others.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:45 PM
raceboy
Banned

My Track Model has the S-tune with the sways and it has VDC, no problems.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:26 AM
Blue_350_z

What could they possibly do to the bar to make it VDC friendly?
Its just a stiffer bar, isn't it?
Old 09-09-2003, 06:08 AM
350zSpeedRacer

I just tracked my car at Hallett with the S Tune on. No problems with the suspension/VDC with the track or daily driving.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:28 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

While we're on this topic... don't mean to hijack, but i've read a few responses/revies of the S-Tune so far, but they were new installs. For those who have had it for a while now, what do you think?

Was it worth the price? Was there a dramatic improvement in handling or is it more of a "I think I can feel a difference"?

Thx
Old 09-09-2003, 10:29 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Also, going back on-topic .. I believe I read somewhere that the S-Tune was in fact tested and given an OK while on the nismo wheels w/ a VDC equipped car.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:50 PM
archman350z

Originally posted by Blue_350_z
What could they possibly do to the bar to make it VDC friendly?
Its just a stiffer bar, isn't it?
Actually, there likely is a difference, and the arguement that the non-VDC stuff "works just fine" isn't quite accurate either.

I work in the automotive controls field, so I can tell you that there are a lot of factors involved with systems such as VDC. The VDC algorithm uses many inputs (i.e. wheel speeds, yaw, pitch, steering angle... to name a few) from the car to determine whether or not the car is "out of control" and whether or not it should engage VDC. When VDC is in operation, it still uses all the inputs to determine how to correct the situation (how hard to apply the brakes, which wheels to brake, how much to cut the throttle, etc.). Like any control system, VDC must be calibrated to each specific vehicle: imagine a VDC system on your Z that thinks it were in an 80-ton semi...brake application would be a bit scary! Since the suspension system is a crucial element in how a car reacts to the VDC commands, messing with this system can have a very large effect.

Saying that suspension mods "work just fine" with VDC is quite dangerous. The only way to find out for sure is to push the car hard enough to activate the VDC. If VDC expects the car to respond in one way, but it really responds in another, VDC may not be able to properly control the car...and it may happen at the very point where mistakes can become costly!!!

Now, NISMO/NISSAN tend to be conservative with their stuff, so you can probably use something a little outside their range and still be OK. They will make sure that whatever suspension upgrades they sell will still work with the original calibration of the VDC system. Now, by blindly modifying this system yourself, you might get lucky and still be within spec., but this is a dangerous way to live (what happens when your girlfriend hops in the Z with the VDC enabled?).

This stuff is best left for the engineers/geeks to figure out. Remember, there is a reason for everything.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:31 AM
DeeZee

i saw a nismo update at my dealer "in writting" that said, "the nismo wheels can NOT be used on a VDC equiped car UNLESS it is equiped with the nismo s-tune, and sways!" and vice versa. the way it was worded, it sounded like a sales pitch. my track model is getting nismo wheels the end of the week, and i have NO PLANS of getting the s-tune. from what i understand, plenty of people are running this setup with NO problem. i cant realy see an inch wider tire in the back and a half in the front, throwing off the entir system!?!? IMO!
Old 09-10-2003, 09:57 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

I believe it to be marketing scheme as well.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:56 PM
nismoZ Z33

Default tein type flex?

Originally posted by failsaf3
I don't think VDC matters in reagrds to suspension. There are no VDC/non-VDC specific setup for any of the suspension manufacturers. I'm running the Tein Flex set up on my Z w/ VDC as are many others.
hey failsaf3 i have just a couple questions on the type flex's?...how is the handling on it.......and also is the ride comfort good also?....please respond asap...thnx?