Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Oh Snaps!!! (Literally)......Rota inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:32 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
I love how all these broken rota pictures and stories I see posted on the interweb involve the driver smashing into hard objects at speed... What sort of outcome were you expecting?
+1 off the top of my head, I can fish out some pictures of bent work S1s from a curb... stock 350z 18s having the same thing from a pothole.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:38 PM
drsifu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"don't misunderstand me.

I am not on a high horse because I have forged wheels. at all. I have no problem with quality cast, inexpensive wheels like Work or Enkei/Advan."
Old 01-31-2008, 05:50 PM
tware

I fail to see how that wheel or situation has any correlation to the Rota's being used on G/Zs. Were you the guy in high school that picked on kids for not wearing the right brand clothes?
Old 01-31-2008, 05:53 PM
yusoslo

since when are enkie wheels inexpensive??? I am very fond of the RPF1 and doubt it is a "cheap" rim
Old 01-31-2008, 06:00 PM
skinnhc

Originally Posted by yusoslo
since when are enkie wheels inexpensive??? I am very fond of the RPF1 and doubt it is a "cheap" rim
+1 $1600.00 for my Work Wheels...I know compared to the "almighty" Volk is nothing but for me that's quite enough
Old 01-31-2008, 06:03 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by tware
I fail to see how that wheel or situation has any correlation to the Rota's being used on G/Zs. Were you the guy in high school that picked on kids for not wearing the right brand clothes?
No, I don't make fun of anybody for what they wear.

However, a lot of engineering and research goes into making a wheel like the S1 and the TE37, and a lot of people work hard to be able to have the authentic, real-deal **** on there car (me for one). It devalues the brand when some wheel-maker rolls up (pun intended) and makes a bunch of replicas for half the cost of the real thing. How would you feel if some car company in the Phillipines just decided on day to start making "replica" 350Z's, Evo's, S2000's, and Corvettes. They would look reasonably legit, and they would do the job of getting people from point a to point b, but really, that company devalues the products of companies like Nissan, Mitsubishi, Honda, and GM.

Honestly, it doesnt make any difference to me what you put on your car, but thats just my $.02.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:29 PM
microsteve40
Know it all

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
I love how all these broken rota pictures and stories I see posted on the interweb involve the driver smashing into hard objects at speed... What sort of outcome were you expecting?
From what I understood, he wasn't going all that fast.

Anyway, the thing that concerns me is how the wheel basically shattered. As it turns out, in this particular instance, the shattered wheel did the car owner a favor, as it is much cheaper to replace a Rota then it is to replace a bunch of suspension stuff that would've probably bent/broke had the wheel not.

Had this happened to a wheel in a different situation however, like traveling at a higher rate of speed and hitting something, the results could have been devastating. I understand that the physics are different, and that the tire and suspension, as well as the wheel itself (and its design) would have absorbed some/most of the impact (in a regular rolling situation at least), but I don't think a situation where the wheel breaks due to this trauma is beyond the realm of possibility. Yes, a wheel would be lost in this case, whether it was cheap or expensive, but in a case where the vehicle's moving at a high rate of speed, what would you rather take your chance on, a higher quality wheel that bends (and causes you the inconvenience of replacing it) or a lower quality wheel that shatters and causes what, losing all control, maybe even flipping?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

This has been debated for a long time. People will always continue to defend Rotas. Booooo....
Old 01-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Motormouth
Banned

I thought Rota bought the molds from the production companies.

do they buy a wheel and reverse engineer?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:36 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

That would be my guess, same goes for all the fake body kits out there, and reproduction stuff like the Xo2.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:41 PM
tware

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
This has been debated for a long time. People will always continue to defend Rotas. Booooo....
That would be my guess, same goes for all the fake body kits out there, and reproduction stuff like the Xo2.
knock offs and reproductions = valid argument... unlike the picture of a cracked wheel in a accident.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:43 PM
ctwentytwo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drsifu
"don't misunderstand me.

I am not on a high horse because I have forged wheels. at all. I have no problem with quality cast, inexpensive wheels like Work or Enkei/Advan."
Since when is Advans inexpensive? The monoblock Advans are way more than the monoblock Work Emotion line.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:44 PM
drsifu

Originally Posted by ctwentytwo
Since when is Advans inexpensive? The monoblock Advans are way more than the monoblock Work Emotion line.
inside joke between motormouth and myself.

please, do carry on...
Old 01-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

i don't know i see lot of broken rota's from civics or other vehicles
but haven't see any problem with P45R / torque
Old 01-31-2008, 10:10 PM
rkd350z

I think rota needs more time to improve...
Old 01-31-2008, 10:42 PM
Crashtest77

So what your saying Jamez is that you can't tell the difference between a knock off and the real thing, wow you really screwed the pooch in that deal, should've bought the rota's and saved your dough. I think everyone knows what the quality wheels are out there, and what are the mid range, and some of the ones that others mentioned, even though not forged, aren't cheap, and do quite fine. Just think, folks in race cars were long driving around on other forms of wheels before forging was an option. Don't see how it takes away from the forged or upper echelon of wheels either, considering I think we can all tell the difference between the wheels. I think everyone knows you get what you pay for.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Crashtest77
So what your saying Jamez is that you can't tell the difference between a knock off and the real thing, wow you really screwed the pooch in that deal, should've bought the rota's and saved your dough.
wat?

Originally Posted by Crashtest77
I think everyone knows what the quality wheels are out there, and what are the mid range, and some of the ones that others mentioned, even though not forged, aren't cheap, and do quite fine. Just think, folks in race cars were long driving around on other forms of wheels before forging was an option. Don't see how it takes away from the forged or upper echelon of wheels either, considering I think we can all tell the difference between the wheels. I think everyone knows you get what you pay for.
I never mentioned anything about forged wheels, so I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. "Knock off" style wheels because by their very nature, they are not the real deal. As a result, the "real deal" is devalued since there are more inauthentic copies around.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 PM
tware

I've been to meets and seen lower priced wheels in person. They looked pretty good (usually) but there was no mistaking the differences in finish. Nobody ever mistook them as $$$ or tried to pass them off as something they were not.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:36 AM
microsteve40
Know it all

Originally Posted by tware
I don't know if this was directed towards me since I'm the OP, but if it was, I never said anything about this thread pertaining to the Rotas being used on G/Zs. Having said that, I'm sure the Rotas that are used on G/Zs are made to the same standards as all those other Rotas. This particular design looks weak to me, but I'm not an expert on wheel design so that's just my feeling.

Regardless, I wasn't posting this with any intention of relating this incident to G/Zs. I just thought the "after" picture was funny and somewhat disturbing, and wanted to share.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:47 AM
sofa king
Banned

Originally Posted by JAMEZ
I never mentioned anything about forged wheels, so I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. "Knock off" style wheels because by their very nature, they are not the real deal. As a result, the "real deal" is devalued since there are more inauthentic copies around.
+1. the price of Volks has plummeted since Rota came out!!!!

Quick Reply: Oh Snaps!!! (Literally)......Rota inside