Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Oh Snaps!!! (Literally)......Rota inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 05:34 AM
Gooey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sofa king
+1. the price of Volks has plummeted since Rota came out!!!!
tell that to my bank account
When honda guys see my wheels they know its not the rotas they have on their cars. A LOT of honda guys are rolling around the te37 TA look alikes in this area. They know what the real deal looks like and I know the difference. I can careless how many knock offs are on the road. Honestly for the price, I would buy them too for my daily driver.
Side note: I really like the Rota Torques and think they are very nice looking. No company is perfect.
My volks when new didnt spin perfectly on the balancer. However my iforged wheels spun perfectly after miles and miles of abuse.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:18 AM
tware

Originally Posted by microsteve40
I don't know if this was directed towards me since I'm the OP, but if it was, I never said anything about this thread pertaining to the Rotas being used on G/Zs.

Youre in the wheels and tires section of my350z

Having said that, I'm sure the Rotas that are used on G/Zs are made to the same standards as all those other Rotas . This particular design looks weak to me, but I'm not an expert on wheel design so that's just my feeling.

Regardless, I wasn't posting this with any intention of relating this incident to G/Zs. I just thought the "after" picture was funny and somewhat disturbing, and wanted to share.
Yes, you are and you just did it again.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:29 AM
Brick-Z

Originally Posted by ___DJK___
Wow that wheel is ugly, its better off broken.
+111111111111111111111111111
Old 02-01-2008, 06:30 AM
jdhuegel1

Wheels are wheels. I'd rather smack a curb with a 200 dollar wheel than with a 600 dollar wheel.

There are several guys on here with boosted and otherwise high power G's/Z's. I don't recall them complaining about the quality.. I could be wrong though.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:35 AM
TheBlackPearlZ
Banned

yeah ROTA's FTL...
Old 02-01-2008, 06:42 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by jdhuegel1
Wheels are wheels.
I think MANY people on this forum would disagree with that statement.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Gooey

you set your budget, you pick your wheels. Dont let others choose for you. Get what you will be happy with.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:03 AM
skn5002

Rota's were nice when I was driving hondas..
Old 02-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashtest77
So what your saying Jamez is that you can't tell the difference between a knock off and the real thing, wow you really screwed the pooch in that deal, should've bought the rota's and saved your dough. I think everyone knows what the quality wheels are out there, and what are the mid range, and some of the ones that others mentioned, even though not forged, aren't cheap, and do quite fine. Just think, folks in race cars were long driving around on other forms of wheels before forging was an option. Don't see how it takes away from the forged or upper echelon of wheels either, considering I think we can all tell the difference between the wheels. I think everyone knows you get what you pay for.
noone mind him, he didn't take his meds.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:11 AM
cwest350

Wheels are wheels. I'd rather smack a curb with a 200 dollar wheel than with a 600 dollar wheel.

There are several guys on here with boosted and otherwise high power G's/Z's. I don't recall them complaining about the quality.. I could be wrong though.

cars are cars. watches are watches on the other hand, if you are an enthusiast like a lot of us on here, we dont share that mindset.

not sure about your second paragraph...i dont see hardly any boosted Z's rolling on "cheap" wheels.

me personally, i'd rather roll a 600 dollar wheel than 200 dollar wheel due to QUALITY. the whole you get what you pay for comes into play here. the difference in quality between a 200 dollar wheel and a 600 dollar wheel is very very obvious.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Taurran off the top of my head is on Rotas... there are a couple.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:10 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still dont get this thread's debate...

I dont think anyone believes they are fooling someone when they get Rotas into thinking they are more expensive wheels. I think Rotas are pretty good looking, affordable wheels (at least their Z applications). Are the finishes as nice as Volks? No. Are they as light as some forged wheels? No.

But everyone going crazy because the wheel shattered... Who cares? Find me one provable account of a Rota wheel shattering under normal use. EVERY case of a Rota wheel breaking that I've ever seen involved impact.

So why the hell does it matter that the Rota wheel broke? If it had been a Volk wheel and had endured the same impact, do you really believe that it would have survived the event in usable condition? I highly doubt it. So what is the end result? A shattered $200 wheel or a bent/cracked useless $600 wheel.

As far as knock off wheels being unethical or whatever, I lol. Its a market economy; its supply and demand. Despite the big mean Rota company copying them, the other cool guy wheel companies soldier on. I dont see Rays having a hard time getting people to pay the money for their wheels. In fact I am pretty sure people are willing to wait MONTHS to get their set.

Last edited by SpoilsofWar; 02-01-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:25 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Freak
cliff notes: Honda's have torque and break wheels
Pretty much
Old 02-01-2008, 11:53 AM
jdhuegel1

Originally Posted by cwest350
cars are cars. watches are watches on the other hand, if you are an enthusiast like a lot of us on here, we dont share that mindset.

not sure about your second paragraph...i dont see hardly any boosted Z's rolling on "cheap" wheels.

me personally, i'd rather roll a 600 dollar wheel than 200 dollar wheel due to QUALITY. the whole you get what you pay for comes into play here. the difference in quality between a 200 dollar wheel and a 600 dollar wheel is very very obvious.

I am an enthusiast - however for just normal applications I see no problem with Rota, or any other 'lesser' company. They're all for looks unless you're applying their different aspects to the track.

If I was seriously abusing the wheels, I'd likely get a more expensive wheel. But I just don't see using 'quality' as a reason to spend crazy money to roll on the best racing wheels known to man just to get groceries.

I'm not arguing with you guys - just commenting. I don't cheap out when I buy wheels, but until recently that was only because the more aggressive sizes/offsets were only offered by the big boys.

Funny you mention watches - I love watches. My 80 dollar timex gets the most use though. I don't have to worry about banging it on ****, or someone stealing it!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:04 PM
tware

at meets, Volks and whatnot get respect... but I've heard more people proud of *not* spending 4k on wheels and tires. Of all the Volks, only a handful belong at the track, most everybody else is running beat up stockers or some inexpensive wheel that can be tortured without destroying your wallet. So, really, it's sorta funny how the real world doesnt match up the perceptions that somehow people with Rotas, MBs, those countless mesh style wheels like MMR, and Axis are somehow the minority on the road.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Ignorance is bliss. Old saying, but still true...
Old 02-02-2008, 07:11 AM
jinsei888

also a rota wheel

Quick Reply: Oh Snaps!!! (Literally)......Rota inside