Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Do Not Buy Falken Tires!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:31 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Pretty bold statement. I do know that you have definitely mis-used the word proof. One instance does not make proof. here, I'll help you out. Here is the first definition of proof, from dictionary.com

So, now that we have established that you don't have proof that Falken tires are unsafe (not withstanding unsubstansiated comments from Nexx), I'm curious as to the wheel sizes and tire sizes. Given that you have not yet posted this information, despite numerous requests, I have a feeling that you are either unable to produce it, because you don't know your wheel and/or tire sizes, or unwilling to produce it, because you are embarrassed that you were running an unsafe wheel/tire combo (tires either too narrow or wide for the wheels)

So, in other words, put up or shut up.

Edit: Yes, you posted that they are 18" wheels, and 275/40 tires. But you need to post the wheel width. This will be something like 8.0, 8.5, 9.0, 9.5, etc...
+1

TK
Old 03-09-2008, 10:46 PM
DDS_RACER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's easy for you and others to sit back and point the finger at me because this incident didn't happen to you. You weren't the one to lose control of your car in the middle of a busy highway. You weren't the one wondering in those split seconds if you would be able to regain control of your car and not hurt anyone. You weren't the one stranded for an hour waiting for help. I hope this experience never happens to anybody. If it ever does, you might just be able to appreciate how good it feels to come away from this experience unscathed. You might also have a different outlook on the type of tires you run and the safety of the car as a whole.

My Z represents more than just a weekend sports car. She's a big part of my life. I have the entire service manual printed out and organized by section with labels. Call me a nerd, dork, I don't care, but that's how passionate I am about my Z. I am especially cognizant of the section on Maintenance in the service manual. I pay the most attention to this part of the book. Because my Z is not a daily driver, I am able to pay close attention to maintenance more then not. As I mentioned before I get real **** when it comes to keeping my car clean and keeping a checklist of what all needs to be inspected. That's why it irks me when I read that people thought my tire pressure was low due to my negligence because I know deep down this was not the case.

It wasn't my intention here either to disrespect anybody, especially those who hold above-average knowledge in this area. I have acknowledged the low pressure hypothesis and have not totally excluded this as causation. The only way I can officially rule this out is if I take the tire in to NTB/Discount tire and have them look at it. Until then, I choose to believe Falken tires are guilty until proven innocent. Again, this incident did not happen to you; therefore, for anyone to state that I should not discredit Falken tires is not entirely high on my priority list. There is no room for hypothesis/guessing when it comes to my safety. Put yourself in my shoes and you just might understand.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

So, you missed it again. What size were the wheels, including width?

Until you at least post that, your story is merely that, a story based in no factual evidence whatsoever.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:00 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

I had a set of Falken 451 on my car, and the same thing happened to me. Difference is that i know it was my fault. I must have done about 20000 km on them when it happened. They were almost due for a change. My problem was poor alignment. I was running with a 2.5 degree camber when the manufacturer specifies a 0 camber up front.
Maybe your camber was a bit too much. Rolling on the inside edge of the tire for a long time puts a lot of stress on the sidewall. It looks like that is exactly what happened to you. Not to mention that your tires are down to the wear markers, so you were due for some replacemements.
I had the exact same symptoms as you. Car started to vear to one side. Luckily i pulled over to check out what was wrong before the tire shredded.

Glad your ok.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:53 AM
anotheraznguy

bah! its not even the tire.
you do know that if someone improperly mounts a tire they can damage the tire causing a very unsafe situation that may rip the sidewall
Old 03-10-2008, 04:17 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
So, you missed it again. What size were the wheels, including width?

Until you at least post that, your story is merely that, a story based in no factual evidence whatsoever.

he has 18"/ didn't say about width yet

but 18x9.5 is max size they offer from wheelmax.com

and his tire size is 275/40 so i assume that he has 9.5?
Old 03-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

OP in future...hope this help

before buy Tires
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=tires

Wheels
...use 350z.com Search
Old 03-10-2008, 04:24 AM
Rippe

perhaps the almost complete baldness off the tire was the factor? ..
Old 03-10-2008, 04:34 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The falkin tire fell off the falkin wheel!

Last edited by davidv; 03-10-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:46 AM
z-u-later

**** happens . . .
Old 03-10-2008, 06:37 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DDS_RACER
It's easy for you and others to sit back and point the finger at me because this incident didn't happen to you.
I think you are still missing the point.. You make a several accusations but you don't back it up with a coherent story or with any real proof.. and no your shredded tire is not proof of Wheelmax and/or Falken's negligence.. Bring a lawsuit against Falken and Wheelmax, bring the shredded tire to court with no other proof and I bet they laugh you out the door

How can you expect someone to be sympathetic to your cause?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:00 AM
Wholey Smokes

I think the only thing this thread is "proof" of is that the OP tends to jump to conclusions and be overly dramatic. It seems like you might be compatible with some of my ex-girlfriends.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:07 AM
DelayedZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I've had Falkens on every single car before my Z, and they were awesome, had I not gotten such an awesome deal on generals I currently have on my car I would have Falkens again, they're a great tire for a reasonable price, it seems to me whoever mounted your tires did so incorrectly, and it's well known that wheelmax can not be trusted, type there name in google, lol, they're aren't tirerack :P

Also, from the pictures it looks like the tire had very little tread left which leads me to believe user error.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:22 AM
Rekinyze

I have had Falkens before...they were excellent tires.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Motormouth
Banned

this guy is a joke, check his other posts... fail.

his tires were bald it looks like.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Originally Posted by xhooniex83
he has 18"/ didn't say about width yet

but 18x9.5 is max size they offer from wheelmax.com

and his tire size is 275/40 so i assume that he has 9.5?
I've got a strong feeling that this is not the case. I bet his tires were too wide for the wheel. Given the wheel size, per the Falken website, is recommended to be 9.0-11.0, I wouldn't be suprised that he actually had 8.5 width wheels, thus contributing to the failure. This is why he won't post his wheel width.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:35 AM
noodleman

Originally Posted by DelayedZ
Also, from the pictures it looks like the tire had very little tread left which leads me to believe user error.
+1, Looks to me the tire were worn pass the tread wear indicators...dosen't seem like very meticulous maintainence to me...I'm curious if he does his own alignment since he does ALL his work on his car...

I'd like to know why the OP still hasn't answered one of the important questions about the width of the rim. It not something that a "passionate" Z owner would forget about his own car.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Motormouth
Banned

I think he has me on ignore. though I do not know him.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:43 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run 275s on a 9.5inch rim and would say i love my F452s For the price they ride really nice and are much quieter than previous buys. I would compare the stickyness of the tire to a P-Rosso, but the side walls are slightly weaker. Overall great tire, i think your problems derived from **** poor maintenance.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:51 AM
StreetOC192

DO NOT BUY A TOYOTA!!!

I had a Toyota Tacoma pickup that had 300,000 miles on it. One day the engine just stopped working. Toyota sucks and the world must boycott!!!

Just kidding

Seriously OP, You say Falken should be assumed guilty until proven innocent? How about you for improper tire maintenance, or you for improper sized tire/wheel set up, or the city you live in for not keeping debris off the roads? Or the 100 other factors that could have caused a blow out? It only takes a very tiny hole to be punctured in a sidewall for the tire to lose just enough air to allow it to get shredded traveling at highway speeds.

You also said maybe you shouldn't trust the tow truck guys word, yet you want to take it to a tire shop to get it analyzed......by whom? a 17 yo high school kid who is mounting tires for cigarette money? Yeah, there's a valued opinion. How about sending the tire to a forensic studies center. Then you may get your answer as to the cause of the trouble.

I am very sorry you have encountered a situation such as this. I can relate. I had an entire wheel fly off the car as I was driving 60mph on the freeway. I kept control of the car and pulled it off to the side of the highway.....but not once did I blame anyone for what happened. I could have laid blame on the lug nut company and put out a PSA or some stupid crap, but it was just an accident that happened. Glad you and everyone else is ok, but move on with life.

Quick Reply: Do Not Buy Falken Tires!!