Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Nails in tires....sigh

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:21 PM
c3 rolling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nails in tires....sigh

I had a nail on the far inner tread about 1 inch from the edge on the driver side front tire. I had it plugged because the shop said you cant patch it when its so close to the wall of the tire. That same day I flipped my tires due to my negative camber wear.

Its been two weeks and now I got another nail on the inner tread on the front passenger side!

So basically It turns out this tire now has two plugs one on the inside and one on the outside, both holes about less than an inch from the wall of the tire....... . Is this tire even safe to drive on anymore?
Old 03-24-2008, 02:27 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by c3 rolling
I had a nail on the far inner tread about 1 inch from the edge on the driver side front tire. I had it plugged because the shop said you cant patch it when its so close to the wall of the tire. That same day I flipped my tires due to my negative camber wear.

Its been two weeks and now I got another nail on the inner tread on the front passenger side!

So basically It turns out this tire now has two plugs one on the inside and one on the outside, both holes about less than an inch from the wall of the tire....... . Is this tire even safe to drive on anymore?
I had a nail puntcure the edge between the tread and sidewall and the shop told me they would not repair it (only had 900mi on it)

I bought a new tire with the expcetations that I would take the old tire and repair it myself as a backup. When I returned they charged me for disposing the tire and I asked for it back. The shop had already repaired it and had a shipping label on it to another shop...

Needless to say, I took the tire back and have used it for over 10k miles. No problems at all with a inside patch job.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:36 PM
tware

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
When I returned they charged me for disposing the tire and I asked for it back. The shop had already repaired it and had a shipping label on it to another shop...
wow, thats classy.... is it a shop in LR? I've heard one of those shops down near Riverdale is ultra-sheisty that way.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:45 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tire store that I go to doesn't ever do plugs, only patches. They found that plugs never hold up and just increase customer frustration, so they only patch. If they can't patch, they replace (if you have road-hazard).
Old 03-24-2008, 04:32 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by tware
wow, thats classy.... is it a shop in LR? I've heard one of those shops down near Riverdale is ultra-sheisty that way.
It was Firestone on Cantrell near the Heights across from the Tanglewood Shopping center.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:15 PM
c3 rolling

soooo....not safe? lol
Old 03-24-2008, 07:36 PM
tware

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
It was Firestone on Cantrell near the Heights across from the Tanglewood Shopping center.
Oh.. *those* guys. learned my lesson there too. But my lesson wasnt as costly as a worker's trip to the Firestone. They talked her into a antifreeze flush, but didnt know how to bleed the coolant system (older passport or trooper).. She made it about 20 miles and blew a head gasket. You probably can guess the rest of the story didnt get any better.

I had a drywall screw in the tires I just bought. 5 miles on them. 1" from sidewall.. but I got a patch+plug. They did make me wait 2x longer to let the patch cure before remounting but said I'd have no trouble. They did mention that if it was a front, it would be a bit more questionable due to the sidewall flex.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by tware

+1
Old 03-24-2008, 07:55 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its safe until the tire fails at 100 MPH. Then its not safe anymore.

Last edited by davidv; 03-27-2008 at 08:15 PM.