Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Slip on highway...anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:24 AM
03'Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip on highway...anyone else?

Unfortunately it's not because of massive horsepower...

I recently had my oem rims painted by a company, but now when driving on the highway I sometimes get the slip warning.

It only comes on during highway speeds, not just driving around in the city.

Could there still be something on the wheels from when they put the rims back on? Or they put the wheels on different than they were?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:33 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 03'Z33
Or they put the wheels on different than they were?
Definitely possible. It happened to me.

Make sure the correct wheels are on the correct axle. And the correct tires are on the correct wheels.

You give me no information about wheel and tire size but it is difficult to see, for example, a 8.0 and 8.5 inch wheel on the rear axle.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:03 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

It sure sounds like you've got a wheel/tire mismatch. As davidv pointed out, check to make sure the right tires are on the front/rear positions.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:51 PM
kelvin0c

Default mine too

ya i have 19" and the slip always go's off just turn ur tcs off while driveing i guess its cause its bigger rims than stock
Old 07-20-2008, 03:01 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by kelvin0c
ya i have 19" and the slip always go's off just turn ur tcs off while driveing i guess its cause its bigger rims than stock

Front tires are taller than rear. Not a set-up that I would recommend.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:01 PM
3m wol8

i'm going to go out on a limb and hope that your signature is true... your tire sizes are WAY off.. that's your problem with your slip light.. your new tires in the front are ~.5 inches taller than the OEM 17's and the rears are ~.8 inches shorter than the OEM 17 rears... that makes your rear tires ~.9 inches smaller than the fronts... just guessing your TCS hates you...
Old 07-20-2008, 03:02 PM
3m wol8

Originally Posted by davidv

Front tires are taller than rear. Not a set-up that I would recommend.
dammit.. you beat me to it!
Old 07-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Nizmo0395

slip lite comes on because rear wheel lost traction not tire size.sounds like you have a bad sensor!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:12 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Nizmo0395
slip lite comes on because rear wheel lost traction not tire size.sounds like you have a bad sensor!
Normally, that would be true. In the context of what the OP had done (wheels painted), that wouldn't result in the rears losing traction. The more likely possibility is that the tires didn't get remounted properly.

You have to understand that TCS detects the loss of traction by looking at the rotation rates of the front vs rear wheels. If the tires get put on the wrong end (front tire on rear or vice-versa) then the wheel rotations will not be what the computer is expecting. That can make TCS believe slippage is occurring.

While it's possible the speed sensors could have been damaged during the removal and installation of the wheels, the chances are pretty slim.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:52 PM
03'Z33

Yeah sorry for the late reply but I did noticed the two rears seem to have been switched. On my right rear it had the most weights on it, now its on the left rear.

I don't have the machine or time to do it myself...Could I take it to a tire shop and have them re weight and align the tires?
Old 07-21-2008, 02:56 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

The left/right swap of wheels/tires wouldn't be causing slippage. The problem we suspect is that the front/rear tires are mixed. Check and post your tire sizes for all four tires here.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:30 PM
davidv

Cant help much if you do not reply to simple suggestions. Good bye forever.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:07 PM
DrPhantum

I'm getting the same problem as the guy that started this thread. I know that I oversized my tires. I too have 19" rims, and the Nissan dealership told me that all four wheel speed sensors agree with each other... but they all disagree with the speedometer. That's why the slip light and traction control hate me...

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I oversized the tires because I have a ground clearance problem with my front bumper, and also because I wanted more rubber between my new rims and all the potholes in western PA. I just dropped $600 on tires, so I'm really hoping that someone has a suggestion for recalibrating the speeds. Which reminds me... my local Nissan garage told me that they do not have the equipment necessary to recalibrate the speedometer and/or the wheel speed sensors. Is this BS? How would I go about getting my computer updated?

Thanks for any help offered! PM me with suggestions.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:19 PM
davidv

Question

Originally Posted by DrPhantum
I'm getting the same problem as the guy that started this thread. I know that I oversized my tires. I too have 19" rims, and the Nissan dealership told me that all four wheel speed sensors agree with each other... but they all disagree with the speedometer. That's why the slip light and traction control hate me...

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I oversized the tires because I have a ground clearance problem with my front bumper, and also because I wanted more rubber between my new rims and all the potholes in western PA. I just dropped $600 on tires, so I'm really hoping that someone has a suggestion for recalibrating the speeds. Which reminds me... my local Nissan garage told me that they do not have the equipment necessary to recalibrate the speedometer and/or the wheel speed sensors. Is this BS? How would I go about getting my computer updated?

And the tire sizes are?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:14 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

You can go with "oversized" tires as long as the stagger (front-rear height diff) is within tolerance (0.25 to 1"). If you want more rubber between the road and wheel, then you need narrow tires with higher sidewalls. You can use wide and high tires but that throws off the speedo and odo. As long as the stagger is correct, you won't have problems with VDC/TCS.

AFAIK, the ECU can't be reprogrammed to adjust for tire sizes.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You need to provide the tire sizes to get any help here. It's also helpful if you provide your car's equipment or the Model (we need to know if you have VDC or TCS when answering tire size questions).

What are your tire sizes?

--Spike
Old 08-05-2008, 05:56 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
What are your tire sizes?

--Spike
+3 , What size tires are you running.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:29 AM
DrPhantum

OK... I'll get the tire sizes. But, in my defense, I subscribed to the thread, and never got any notification that anyone posted a reply.

But, from what you guys are saying, it sounds like you've already confirmed that the tire sizes are my problem...

Front: 245-40-ZR19 94W
Rear: 275-35-ZR19 96Y

The car is an '05 350Z Roadster Touring. I definitely have TCS, and I'm pretty sure I do NOT have VDC.

Assuming that the tire sizes are my problem... what do I do? I guess I could turn off TCS every time I get in my car until the tires go bald... But, that really sucks though because I just spent $600 on four new tires just a few weeks ago. What sizes ARE appropriate to get more rubber between me and the road?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by DrPhantum; 08-10-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:08 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Sizing explained here...
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....1&postcount=45

Basically, your widths are fine (245/275), as long as you have the same profile (40 vs 35 is wrong, both need to be 35).
Old 08-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, that is because you got mismatched wheels.

Quick Reply: Slip on highway...anyone else?