Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Too Rough!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 02:33 PM
thardwick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Rough!

I know I'll get a lot of **** about this one...but here goes! The 350Z is the best looking car to come out in a LONG time. I'm amazed at the comments I get about it (Pike's Peak White, Touring, every option, 3M clear bra). The car really is beautiful. However, it rides way too rough! I would be embarrased for all of these people who drool over the car to actually ride in it! I've driven plenty of 300's and from what I remember, they didn't even compare to the 350 in ride harshness. Nissan should have put some sort of sport/touring suspension switch on the car. With 1500 miles on it, I'm really thinking about looking for something else...maybe a G35 sedan?? Surely other people feel the same way and just won't admit it!
Old 07-29-2003, 02:58 PM
DmitryZ

You will probably get flamed for a post like this.

Don't get offended or anything, but this is not the car for you. Sell it. I mean that in the nicest possible way. You will be happier with a g35.

Personally, I think the suspension can be stiffened up just a tad. Lots of people on this forum have upgraded their suspension, making the ride even stiffer in some cases. I plan on doing the same in the future if I find myself doing lots of track time.

Good luck

Dmitry
Old 07-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Lee3Z

If you think the Z is rough don't get a 93 RX-7, it jars your kidney's. My Z incomparsion rides like a luxury sedan.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:38 PM
noel48

My wife has a G35 Sedan and while it's a great car it's no Z. My carpool partner comments that the ride of the Z is tight but I say it's better than his Suzuki Aerio that sounds like it's breaking apart when he floors it.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:48 PM
markt71Z

I really think it's a matter of what you're coming from. I love the ride of the Z. My other driver is a Ford F-150. I wanted a sports car with precise handling. There are certain road conditions that my Z is less rough than my wife's Maxima. It's all a matter of choice.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:09 PM
orhanz33

you think the z is rough? have you ever been in an s2000?
Old 07-29-2003, 04:26 PM
thardwick

The roads here in Charleston aren't very good. We have a lot of bridges and roads that have potholes due to the sea-level conditions. It's rough as hell riding on both of these. On a smooth paved road, the car is great! Has anyone compared the ride of a G35 versus the Z?
Old 07-29-2003, 04:30 PM
OC_350Z

Z is a Daddylac compaired to my M3. I think it's time for a G35 Coupe.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:36 PM
3rdpower

The Z rides rough... hahahhahahaaaa... get a G35 n have a nice day!
Old 07-29-2003, 04:54 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by durobred
you think the z is rough? have you ever been in an s2000?
you mean the 2" of wheel travel isn't enuf for you??
Old 07-29-2003, 07:18 PM
FlyingToaster

Depending on the roads you are driving, you may very well be right. No suspension is right for every one.

However, the solution is not necessarily to sell the car, but you can have new springs made with softer settings. And if you couple them with the appropriate shock absorbers, you might have a very compliant ride while you are enjoying your Z. It would probably be even cheaper than selling it and buying a new one
Old 07-29-2003, 07:56 PM
Buub

it rides way too rough!
Um... dude... it's a sportscar! Not a sporty car -- a sportscar.

Sounds like you need a Maxima.

Actually I find that firm ride very comforting and reassuring when I'm going over 100mph and the car still feels very solidly planted. :-)
Old 07-29-2003, 08:11 PM
Beaker02

I agree with most all of the posts. The only time I feel like it's rough is when i'm trying to please a passenger and give them a smoooth ride. I watch the bumps and my shifting. When i'm alone...........It's another story, and I love it.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:14 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll give you quite a spin on your post. In spite of my username, I drive a G35 sedan. I almost bought a G35coupe (reason for my username). I also drove the Z, actually prefered it to both G's, in spite of it's stiff suspension. Also you can consider the G coupe, it is not tuned as harsh as the Z. The Z delivered excellent handling and excellent feel, like a very willing dancing partner, being that talented, edges out how I dislike the harshness, but just barely. So I fully understand why someone might complain, in spite of the Z being a sports car.

Now the spin factor, I installed 350Z springs and struts on my sedan. I did it cause I wanted the better handling that they provide the Z. But make no mistake, when I'm in the car for more than a couple hours, I start to get thought's in my head about putting the old suspension back in.

But here's what's better on the Z vs the G35 sedan suspension wise. The sedan is nice, but I can't do what I describe below. Install the Z's springs and struts, then it can.

With the Z you have much better overall balance to seamlessly process bracking, steering and throttle imputs without unduly upsetting the chassis. Fore to aft weight transfer has a minimal effect on the car's composure, allowing the driver to transition from braking to power more quickly when cornering. But, you have to be willing to deal with the ride in order to get these benefits. So, if you can give up the handling magic the Z's suspension provides, then the sedan is fine. Even if you get the stock sport suspension on the sedan, it's no where near as harsh as the Z.

Let me throw something else at you. Lot's of guys have found a cure for what's bothing you buy lowering their car a tad on eibach progressive springs. If their 1" drop is to much for you RSR makes progressive spirngs that drop .6" as well. Just a thought to same you a ton of dough.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:29 AM
thardwick

Gcoupe35 - Thanks for the post. I guess you answered one of my questions, which was whether the G35 springs and struts would fit on the Z. The was another option I had thought about to soften the ride. Has anyone done this? Has it helped the ride? Gcoupe....wanna sell your suspension :-) By the way, do you mind if I ask how much you paid for the new stuff?
Old 07-30-2003, 05:13 AM
itzGman

Default get this

get this
i just test drove the fx45 and would u believe it rode just as tight as my Z
i was like wtf - but i remembered it has 20" wheels
i guess my take on it is this:
Z = sports car = firm ride
track Z = track car = super firm ride (ouch my kidneys)
G = sporty car = luxury ride
fx45 = crossover = firm ride similar to the Z
my wife as the altima and it rides very close to the G we test drove some time ago...
Old 07-30-2003, 05:30 AM
sparky3Z

Default Tire pressure?

When I first got my Z I noticed the tire pressure was about six pounds higher than factory spec. I dropped it to 35 lbs. and the ride improved a good bit. Still firm, but I don't mind it and feel it is a reasonable compromise to get such good handling.

When I have to drive some other car now it feels like there are no shock absorbers and it has a mind of its own.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:49 AM
gguff

Originally posted by Lee3Z
If you think the Z is rough don't get a 93 RX-7, it jars your kidney's. My Z incomparsion rides like a luxury sedan.
I sold my 7 for a Z and it feels like I'm gliding on air!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:46 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by thardwick
Gcoupe35 - Thanks for the post. I guess you answered one of my questions, which was whether the G35 springs and struts would fit on the Z. The was another option I had thought about to soften the ride. Has anyone done this? Has it helped the ride? Gcoupe....wanna sell your suspension :-) By the way, do you mind if I ask how much you paid for the new stuff?
No one has installed the G35 coupe setup on a Z, least no one has posted about it.

You don't want sedan springs and struts on the Z, they'll raise your car 7/8" front and like 1 3/8" in the rear. Yes they'll fit, but the springs are taller and the struts themselves are likewise taller. And I'm getting conflicting info one the coupe's setup. I've been told by a reliable source that the coupe use's the same suspension as a sedan with sport suspension. But I noticed in a coupe owners spring install post that his struts were painted black vs my sedan's red paint. But for sure, the coupe does not get the same struts as the Z. But I'm sure that the coupe does use springs and struts that are shorter, just like the Z's fitment. I would need to have a coupe owner that has their's off the car take some basic measurement's to verify. In short I think G35 coupe springs and struts would be what you need.

BTW, here's a interesting fact on spring stiffness G35 sedan with sport suspension vs 350Z springs

F/R in lb/in
350Z: 347/419
G35: 357/407

Not much differance, meaning the real differances, are in the tuning of the struts. Oh and sway bar diameters are the same.

Oh. I paid $150 shipped for my 350Z springs and struts off a member here.

Here's a pic of a sedan spring and Z springs side by side, both are rears. You can see how the Z spring is shorter.

http://pics.montypics.com/Gcoupe35/2...ll_how_to8.jpg
Old 07-30-2003, 09:56 AM
thardwick

Gcoupe35...hmmmm, the plot thickens! Yeah, the sedan springs are a good bit taller. Maybe the coupe springs would do the trick?? Also, came across this HKS kit that looks pretty interesting. It's designed for sport luxury feel. I've contacted them to see if they have any before/after stories, etc. Take a look and let me know what you think!
http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=1455

Quick Reply: Too Rough!