Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Recommendation for Tires!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Rmrichards1385

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendation for Tires!?!?!

Alright looking for tires, for the z! They are going on the stock rims so these aren't going to be used for any daily driving, only gonna be used at the track!!! What are the best tires solely for traction purposes?? Gotta lot of probs w that when the z begins boosting!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:10 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Which wheels?

I'd be cautious of the 2003-2005 Enthusiast wheels, or the 2006+ "base" wheels with tires that are too sticky. The thicker the spokes on cast wheels, the more likely they are to crack and break.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Rmrichards1385

2003 Nissan 350z base wheels.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:39 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Motorsports tire recommendations are in the motorsports forum. OEM wheels are 7.5 and 8.5 inches. Doesn't sound like a suitable wheel for anyone who is serious about racing.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:46 AM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R compounds are good for the track...but you'll still have subpar wheels for your purpose.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Rmrichards1385

alright, well what if I was to place Hoosier slicks on the z? I've got the Turbonetics ST kit and was wondering if I did place slicks if I could encounter rear end problems? Is 400 whp too much to handle w/ a stock rearend on slicks?
Old 12-02-2008, 03:24 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmrichards1385
alright, well what if I was to place Hoosier slicks on the z? I've got the Turbonetics ST kit and was wondering if I did place slicks if I could encounter rear end problems? Is 400 whp too much to handle w/ a stock rearend on slicks?
No, but it sounds like, and I could be wrong here, like you should get a few more (a bunch!) of performance events under your belt before going to Hoosiers. If you feel you're ready now, I/we strongly suggest you consider another set of wheels for your "racing" application. There are used sets out there that can be had cheaply.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:49 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Drag racing. Members do run slicks of various widths. Some are successful. Some leave parts of the rear axles behind. Check the drag racing forum for recommendations.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:51 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Boring or are you turning corners with these tires???
Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Rmrichards1385

Originally Posted by scotts300
No, but it sounds like, and I could be wrong here, like you should get a few more (a bunch!) of performance events under your belt before going to Hoosiers. If you feel you're ready now, I/we strongly suggest you consider another set of wheels for your "racing" application. There are used sets out there that can be had cheaply.

why would how many times my z has ran down the track have anything to do w/ going hoosier or not. Why would I need a used set when you know nothing about my budget? Just wondering where you are coming up w/ your opinion.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Rmrichards1385

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Boring or are you turning corners with these tires???
nope, wouldn't be taking corners on these tires. It's finally winter and nice and cold here in hot *** az to run the track on forced induction. Granted I could have done it before bc we went through a lot to insure the safety of the z while boosting, but every z owner here in az knows that it's "day and night" when running the 1/4 in the nice cold weather! So basically just trying to get some good runs in before the z hits the shop again in the summer for the next additions
Old 12-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Rmrichards1385

also heard consideration of some drag radials if I didn't wanna go straight slick. nitto 555r drag radials?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:40 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

why would how many times my z has ran down the track have anything to do w/ going hoosier or not. Why would I need a used set when you know nothing about my budget? Just wondering where you are coming up w/ your opinion.
I asked b/c I thought you might be talking about HPDEs (road course events) and/or autox. And in those cases, too many people want a sticky tire before they've refined their skills enough to warrant the extra stick.

also heard consideration of some drag radials if I didn't wanna go straight slick. nitto 555r drag radials?
Drag radial is plenty of stick for your HP. I suggest the ET Streets or ET Street Radials. Nitto 555R DRs are pooh. Even the BFG DR is better, but if you're serious about getting a good time, the ET Streets or ET Street Radials are your friend. If you were really serious about it, you should consider a 15" or 16" set of wheels that are lightweight vs the OEM wheels you plan to run. Like you said - it's all a matter of desires balanced with budget.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:43 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by davidv
Drag racing. Members do run slicks of various widths. Some are successful. Some leave parts of the rear axles behind. Check the drag racing forum for recommendations.
Agreed ^^^. I know of two local cars that have busted rear axles - both around the 400rwhp mark and running BFG DRs. Yet another with 440rwhp and BFG DRs didn't. It's all about how you launch and how the car hooks up.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Rmrichards1385

I asked b/c I thought you might be talking about HPDEs (road course events) and/or autox. And in those cases, too many people want a sticky tire before they've refined their skills enough to warrant the extra stick.

Drag radial is plenty of stick for your HP. I suggest the ET Streets or ET Street Radials. Nitto 555R DRs are pooh. Even the BFG DR is better, but if you're serious about getting a good time, the ET Streets or ET Street Radials are your friend. If you were really serious about it, you should consider a 15" or 16" set of wheels that are lightweight vs the OEM wheels you plan to run. Like you said - it's all a matter of desires balanced with budget.

Gotchya, nice. so no go on the nittos?!? lol I'll be checking out The ET Street Radials... After looking at tires, it may be better to go w/ a 15" wheel. Better time and I would think it could be less stress on the rear bc of the lightweight and smaller wheel. Thx for the info. I've read so many good reviews on the nittos, but was kinda skeptical.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Rmrichards1385

Agreed ^^^. I know of two local cars that have busted rear axles - both around the 400rwhp mark and running BFG DRs. Yet another with 440rwhp and BFG DRs didn't. It's all about how you launch and how the car hooks up.

Ya true, I've heard of a lot of z owners reving up to like 4 grand and just popping the clutch. Definately not my form of launching, I've always been one to feather the clutch, if anything burning it a lil that way it maximizes traction from the launch and doesn't put pressure on the axles and differentials. Problem right now isn't when I'm launching or switching gears, it's actually when the turbo spools up and gains max boost it starts slippin like crazy. Guess w/ radials, tho I'm gonna have to change that up just a little bit, use em what they're ment for!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:31 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Gotchya, nice. so no go on the nittos?!? lol I'll be checking out The ET Street Radials... After looking at tires, it may be better to go w/ a 15" wheel. Better time and I would think it could be less stress on the rear bc of the lightweight and smaller wheel. Thx for the info. I've read so many good reviews on the nittos, but was kinda skeptical.
Consider the 16" RX7 wheels and 16" Z32 TT wheels since you don't have the Brembos. I run the Z32TT rear wheels (8.5" width) with MT ETs with decent success (low 1.6 60's), but the squirm at the top-end is a bit unnerving at times. That's where the ET Street Radial is a good choice of stick and no-squirm. Also cruiZe over to the drag racing forum for more commentary and stone-throwing.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Rmrichards1385

so it's the mickey thompson et radials that you're looking at correct? And I like them! even like the looks of them! What would you recommend for size? I'm thinkin the wider the better correct? And here comes the stupid question, what size should I use for the front? I would think a smaller wheel than the oem bc of the smaller the easier? Or would it make that much of a difference? My aftermarket are 18's so I'm thinkin the oem on the front would be fine since they are just being pushed anyway.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:13 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

so it's the mickey thompson et radials that you're looking at correct? And I like them! even like the looks of them! What would you recommend for size? I'm thinkin the wider the better correct? And here comes the stupid question, what size should I use for the front? I would think a smaller wheel than the oem bc of the smaller the easier? Or would it make that much of a difference? My aftermarket are 18's so I'm thinkin the oem on the front would be fine since they are just being pushed anyway.
You don't need special front tires if you run the ET Street Radial or other DR. The MT's aren't available in 18" sizes - I figured you were going to spend the coin on another set of wheels. If you are going to stick with the 18s, you're limited to the Nitto or BFG DRs. They'll work ok, but are not ideal.

I mean no disrespect, but I think you need to peruse through the drag racing forum a bit if you are plan to modify your set-up and want to run a fast time.

GL.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Rmrichards1385

You don't need special front tires if you run the ET Street Radial or other DR. The MT's aren't available in 18" sizes - I figured you were going to spend the coin on another set of wheels. If you are going to stick with the 18s, you're limited to the Nitto or BFG DRs. They'll work ok, but are not ideal.

I mean no disrespect, but I think you need to peruse through the drag racing forum a bit if you are plan to modify your set-up and want to run a fast time.

GL.

understandable, I've been down the track a few times w/ the z and was real happy w runnin 14.01 on stock tires when the z was stock, so now that I've got the turbo kit and have so much more power would like to be able to catch as much traction as possible bc that's a major issue. So I feel I'll be fine on the track and it's not really like I'm running THAT much power. Thx for the concern tho! Aiming for 12s!!!