Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Recommendations for Race Tires??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 10:00 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendations for Race Tires??

Hello all you racers out there,

I've been doing a few AutoX's, and will be racing with a local club and in the SCCA BS class for the next couple of years (at least). I live probably 75-100 miles round trip from most of the venues, so chances are that I will be doing some driving to and from the events on the race tires.

I'm looking for some racing tires that will fit on the stock 18x8" wheels (I'll be getting Enkei RPO2-J's for racing, but I need to stay on the stock size).

This creates a problem since there are very few R-compound tires in the 18" size that fit on an 8" rim.

Here are my choices:

225 - These are widely available, but IMO are too narrow to be running on the Z. Seems like a bit of a waste to me to end up running race tires that are smaller than the stock tires.

235 - Pirelli P Zero Corsa. Looks like a possibility, but damn expensive. Probably pretty good for the highway on the way to the race though.

245 - These would be a good size, but are only available from Hoosier. Also, they recommend at least an 8.5" wide tire. I'm sure it would work, though. Not sure about getting to the races. Might want the Road Race version rather than the AutoX version so the highway speeds won't be such a problem.

255 - Pirelli P Zero Corsa is about it. Expensive, and wants an 8.5" tire.

265 - Widely Available, but now probably too big for the stock wheels. Would be nice to have a tire this fat, but I am nervouse about trying to get it on the rims.

So, at this point I'm not sure what to do. I think I'm leaning toward the Road Race version of the Hoosiers, and will just have to take my chances on the highway. The 235 and 255 Pirellis are an interesting compromise, but are another $20-40 per tire over the Hoosiers and probably not nearly as sticky. I'd like to get a 265 Kumho V700, but don't know about the flexing or the ability to mount with only a 35 profile. I've heard of S2000's running tires close to this size on their rims, but they use a 16" tire with a larger X-section, which might make mounting easier.

So, any suggestions? Have any of you raced on these tires? Please share experiences, thoughts, etc.

Thanks,
D'oh!
Old 08-20-2003, 11:14 PM
seanrulz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestion would be Yokohama Advan Neova.
I'm not sure it is imported in U.S., but in Koera and Japan, they are known as the best tire you can get for the street and track use. They simply provide hell lot more traction than any other tires in the market. (Some results using those tires at the time trials and track events has been shown accordingly from many car forums in Korea and Japan). I haven't used them so I can't say much. I'm just giving you an information from what I've heard and read.
Yes, they are pricey (maybe even more than P zero Corsa), and you have to ORDER them to get it, but those tires come out with almost any size you might need. They come out with 245/40/18 and 245/45/18 so you can choose
However, there are cons about this tires too. Since this tire is extremely sticky and provide ultimate dry traction, they have very low traction ratings for wet pavement. (You might be able to find that out from tread pattern) And they are soft, meaning that they will worn out faster. Well, almost all performance tires would.
You might be able to check those tires out in yokohama tires U.S. website or contact them for more info.

Just lettin' ya know
Attached Images  

Last edited by seanrulz; 08-20-2003 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:26 PM
seanrulz

found out this pix on the forum in Korea... Neova put on Avante (Elantra) GT...
Attached Thumbnails Recommendations for Race Tires??-cimg0127.jpg  
Old 08-21-2003, 10:48 AM
Lateapex

Just a clarification about something Seanrulz said:

"Since this tire is extremely sticky and provide ultimate dry traction, they have very low traction ratings for wet pavement."

Sticky tires are BETTER in the wet. For example, we used to run Yokohama 008Rs both at Solo events and on the road, here in the Seattle area, because thy were so outstanding on our frequently wet pavement. But, yes, the tread pattern on "R" tires is typically not designed for standing water.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:48 PM
patdsaunders

Go with the Hoosiers. Do not worry about getting to the event on them, I use race tire all the time. However, with the Hoosiers, I would have a second set for normal driving since they are so soft and expensive. I am going to try the new Nitto for my 17x9 in 275/40. I have been using 275/40 on a 17x8.5 and it is fine. This is why most racers stay with 17s or smaller.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:57 PM
D'oh

Thanks for the advice so far.

I just got my new rear street tires (Hankook Ventus Sport K104) from America's Tire, and while there I asked about mounting a 265 tire to a 8" rim and they seemed to think it'd be fine. I saw their database for the 350Z (which says the Performance has 8.5" rear wheels - whatever) but one of their recommended tires is a 275 on that 8.5" rim. Therefore it seems like the 265 should be OK on the 8" rim and the 275 should be OK for patdsaunders.

If I had known I'd be getting into AutoX so much I would have gone for the enthusiast model so I'd have the 17" wheels. Eh, I still like my Tire Pressure Sensors, though.

Keep up the suggestions.

Thanks,
D'oh!
Old 08-21-2003, 04:15 PM
Clyde

Default size

I'm running stock 17" rims and using Firestones Firehawks sz50 ep. Fronts 235/45/17 rears 275/40/17. Have used them for 5 track events not drag Strips but road courses and not problems whatsoever. There just a great tire.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:52 PM
D'oh

Well, I decided to go for the gold - in tire width at least.

I went ahead and bought the RPO2-J along with the Kuhmo V700 in the 265/35-18.

We'll see if they can squeeze it on to the 8" wide wheel. I guess I'll be getting my money's worth on the install.

I'll let you know how things turn out after I get to try them out.

-D'oh!
Old 08-25-2003, 10:00 PM
zoasis

D'oh

Great choice!! As I was reading down the posts, I was hoping you went with the 265/35's. You'll be very happy you did!! I'm running 275/40/17's on RPO-2j's 17X9 and love them!