Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Bad tires from stealership

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:36 PM
rmcclintic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad tires from stealership

Ok folks. Now i'm prepared to say this was a bonehead oversight. But do you think i have a case?

So i bought my 2004 Z from a dealership in Fullerton, CA. I am pretty familiar with cars so i gave it a pretty thorough inspection before i bought it. The tires have about 80-90% tread left and the dealer said "they were nearly new". They looked good and everything else is in good shape. But it is now six months later and i've had no problems with the Z until my brakes started squeeking a little bit and so i took the front tires off to inspect the brakes and noticed that both the front tires are completely roached on inner part of the tire. So bad that the metal strips from the steel belts are showing... not the whole way around but about 75%. There is nothing in the wheel well that is even close to causing this.... even at full spring compression there is simply nothing there that could have done it. So i'm pretty sure that for the last six months the tires have been like this and i've been driving a death trap. I'm pretty sure that if those tires rip apart on the highway at 80mph that they will cause a pretty bad accident. The tires look great from the outside so i didn't even think about this scenario. Since i saw the tires in this condition i haven't driven it. I'm back to driving my jeep tj. So i'm going to take it to a tire place and have them check it out to make sure it could not have happened on the car and then i'm going back to the dealership to see what they have to say and then threaten to sue them if they give me any s***. It had a 90 day warranty and i'm not sure if i can prove they were like this from the start or not. I'm pretty sure they had these rims on another vehicle that they should not have had them on and they were rubbing on the inside and then they just threw them on this one to get rid of them. They are aftermarket 19" infiniti rims. The tires are nankangs 245/35ZR19. So what does everyone think? Go to the dealership and make a stink unless they give me different tires? or suck it up knowing i should have checked the tires in the first place and upgrade to Toyos...

Whatcha think?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:50 PM
welderz

You need an alignment. Your tires are wearing unevenly.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 PM
rmcclintic

nah man... i know "uneven wear"... i'm talking about the far inner 1/10 of the tire... for road wear to have done it... they would have to have been at 45 degree angles... it literally looks like something gouged the inner edge of the tires...
Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Common problem on the early Zs, including a TSB, recall, and a court case. If you've gone 6 months, they probably weren't on the cords when you bought it.

You need new front tires and an alignment. I have a set of 245/35/19 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 take-offs if you're interested. Good luck in either event.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats & welcome to the Z tire alignment needed club.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:31 PM
rmcclintic

Well... color me corrected... and might i add that this sucks! So how much tread on the michelins and how much for em?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:58 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rmcclintic
Well... color me corrected... and might i add that this sucks! So how much tread on the michelins and how much for em?
Tread is near-new, about 8/32. I can email you pics. $365 plus shipping - I sent you a PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You want tires from the seller, and you bought the car 6 months ago? Not going to happen.