Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

should I get 18's or 19's

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Nor_Cal350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I get 18's or 19's

Hey everyone I am having a dilemma. I am going to lower my car on some eibach sportline springs. I wanted to get everyones opinion on whether to get 18 or 19 inch wheels. I have talked to some people and they say my ride will suffer with 19's, but most the z's i see have 19's can someone please tell me what the difference is really going to be with this set up and what i should do. The car is my daily driver but I dont drive it alot since work is close. I am just worried about going with the 19's because i dont want my ride to suffer. So if any of you have experience with both size wheels or wanna give a suggestion please do. Thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 11:14 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

explain this "suffer" they speak of...

with any size if done right shouldn't matter
Old 03-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Nor_Cal350

Default suffer

sorry when i say suffer i mean feeling every bump rock and crack in the road. just want an honest opinion from someone who has been in a car thats lowered with 18's and 19's
Old 03-14-2009, 06:51 AM
davidmcc

Those Eibach sportlines are probably going to affect the ride quality more than a 19" wheel ever will.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Good question. It’s been asked before (several times); but it’s not a waste to revisit this since tires and wheel setups continue to evolve, and that can make a big difference in an answer to your question.

Your question is mostly directed to ride comfort, so that is how I structure my response.

I’ve run 17, 18, and 19” wheels on my Z.
  • 17” wheels provide the most comfortable ride. I find that true no matter what tires you are using. In fact, 17" wheels might be best for the track and street (ignoring appearance), but that's another discussion.
  • 18” and 19” wheels transmit more “road feel,” and the sidewall-construction (i.e., sidewall stiffness) makes a significant difference in ride-comfort. For example, a soft sidewall tire on a 19” wheel can feel just as comfortable as a stiff sidewall tire on an 18” wheel.
So… the answer is: “It depends upon…”

Something else to consider… If you are purchasing new wheels, maybe get 18” on the front and 19” on the rear.
  • You save money by buying tires for 18” wheels on the front.
  • Your fronts and rears will have nearly the same sidewall height (for example, you could mount 245/40-18” on the front and 275/35-19” on the rear) while maintaining vertical stagger front and rear.
  • With the same tire sidewall height front and rear, you get a nice look along with great handling.

--Spike

PS: I’m claiming David’s $10
Old 03-14-2009, 02:38 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidmcc
Those Eibach sportlines are probably going to affect the ride quality more than a 19" wheel ever will.
+1

It's kind of dumb that the OP is worried about ride quality when he's going with lowering springs..
Old 03-14-2009, 03:47 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
Good question. It’s been asked before (several times); but it’s not a waste to revisit this since tires and wheel setups continue to evolve, and that can make a big difference in an answer to your question.

Your question is mostly directed to ride comfort, so that is how I structure my response.

I’ve run 17, 18, and 19” wheels on my Z.
  • 17” wheels provide the most comfortable ride. I find that true no matter what tires you are using. In fact, 17" wheels might be best for the track and street (ignoring appearance), but that's another discussion.
  • 18” and 19” wheels transmit more “road feel,” and the sidewall-construction (i.e., sidewall stiffness) makes a significant difference in ride-comfort. For example, a soft sidewall tire on a 19” wheel can feel just as comfortable as a stiff sidewall tire on an 18” wheel.
So… the answer is: “It depends upon…”

Something else to consider… If you are purchasing new wheels, maybe get 18” on the front and 19” on the rear.
  • You save money by buying tires for 18” wheels on the front.
  • Your fronts and rears will have nearly the same sidewall height (for example, you could mount 245/40-18” on the front and 275/35-19” on the rear) while maintaining vertical stagger front and rear.
  • With the same tire sidewall height front and rear, you get a nice look along with great handling.

--Spike

PS: I’m claiming David’s $10
Your check is in the e-mail.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
+1

It's kind of dumb that the OP is worried about ride quality when he's going with lowering springs..
I’m not arguing or disagreeing…

But, the suspension travel on a Z is very low, even with the stock setup. The tires he mounts will make the most difference as to ride comfort (his question).

Of course it is relative. If you lower the car using stiffer springs with less travel and mount tires with rigid sidewall s on 19” wheels, you will have a stiffer ride than stock.

With this said, it’s probably the tires (and the design) that determines ride comfort.

--Spike
Old 03-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by davidv
Your check is in the e-mail.
Just put the $10 into my PayPal account.

--Spike
Old 03-15-2009, 06:43 AM
HawaiianBBQ

I'm thinking forget the springs (save a little more cash) go adjustable coilovers. Do a little more research on your driving needs (i.e daily driver, track or a little bit of both). Not to push you in a totally different direction, but if you are serious about your ride, take your time and do it right the first time. Springs V Coilovers... each has their benefits! Which benefit fits you the most? Good Luck!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:05 AM
zerafian

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

^^Agreed, your gonna have to replace your suspension probably around a year after installing those springs,..10k-15k miles. But I believe the suspension is what will kill the ride.

Rim wise, go 19s