Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

225/50 in the rear?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Stryker966

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 225/50 in the rear?!?

So, I'm embarrassed that I didn't notice this earlier. I took my 350 to the dealership (a nissan one, not some random) for service a while back. I guess the idiot that worked on it rotated all the tires.. putting the 225's in the rear and 235's in the front.

At the same time I should have noticed this, I'm thinking, this is something so simple that it totally shouldn't be overlooked on their part. Any how I'm going back to the service manager tomorrow and gonna let him have it.

This is inexcusable in my opinion, so I wanted to ask you guys what type of arguments I can throw at this guy to milk this for all its worth. I mean.. for quite some time I thought I had a serious alignment/steering problem because it definitley was not handling correctly!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:14 PM
kyx4n

don't throw an argument at him, throw a f-ing punch..
what an idiot...

but srsly, was he some young inexperience teen?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Umm... Just have them rotated and demand an alignment.

Aren't you supposed to have 225/245
Old 03-16-2009, 05:30 PM
tanabe350z

you can get the guy fired like i did when they tried to screw me if you in texas i didnt look at you location i know the texas rep or southwestern rep should i say he is my neighbor.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:34 PM
kyx4n

Originally Posted by Spork
Aren't you supposed to have 225/245
nah.. he most likely has the 17 inch 7 spoke rims the earlier Z's had
Old 03-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

WT_?

They put the rears on the front? And that was a staggered setup (width and height)? I've never heard of such incompetence.

In fact, that very stupid error possibly placed you in "harm's way."

--Spike
Old 03-16-2009, 06:10 PM
savvy

don't they have that little bronze plug type thingy on the base of the wheel to prevent exactly this?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ That' my question as well. I mean... How could they screw this up? The wheels won't fit because of the block-piece. I really wonder how anyone could make this error.

--Spike
Old 03-17-2009, 03:19 AM
Stryker966

Originally Posted by kyx4n
nah.. he most likely has the 17 inch 7 spoke rims the earlier Z's had
Correct..

Can you please explain the bronze plug that would prevent this from potentially happening? Because these guys clearly found a way around it! and I'm definitley going to demand an explanation from them if this is the case.

I think having them rotate them and align them is just the start. I'm going to demand more than that when I speak with this idiot, reversing their (stupid) mistake is not going to satisfy me... not to mention giving me my money back for the labor I was charged on this..
Old 03-17-2009, 04:25 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You noticed "serious alignment/steering problems" but never looked at the tires. Doesn’t sound serious to me.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:24 AM
Stryker966

Originally Posted by davidv
You noticed "serious alignment/steering problems" but never looked at the tires. Doesn’t sound serious to me.
Well, I don't know what you gauge as "serious", but it was enough for me to be concerned about it to the point where I was constantly checking my tire pressure and power steering to see if something is wrong. I'll be honest, I didn't look at the tire sizes immediately. But let's be realistic.. how many of you would consider the possibility that a Nissan dealership would do this?! It never crossed my mind to check..
Old 03-17-2009, 05:28 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stryker966
So, I'm embarrassed that I didn't notice this earlier. I took my 350 to the dealership (a nissan one, not some random) for service a while back. I guess the idiot that worked on it rotated all the tires.. putting the 225's in the rear and 235's in the front.

At the same time I should have noticed this, I'm thinking, this is something so simple that it totally shouldn't be overlooked on their part. Any how I'm going back to the service manager tomorrow and gonna let him have it.

This is inexcusable in my opinion, so I wanted to ask you guys what type of arguments I can throw at this guy to milk this for all its worth. I mean.. for quite some time I thought I had a serious alignment/steering problem because it definitley was not handling correctly!
prime example of why you should always check your car before driving off from the dealer. failure to do so makes you just at fault as them. i hope you learned something form this
Old 03-17-2009, 05:57 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ that's easy to say on a z forum full of car nerds but I can guarantee no one in my family other than myself would think or know to check staggered tires are in the right position on a vehicle. 97.63% of the cars out there don't run them...so uncommon in fact, the tech didn't even know.

It would have been dangerous had you tried to do any at-the-limit driving, but otherwise not a huge deal. I would expect at least a free alignment out of the deal though.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:00 AM
zerafian

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

At least you can admit to not really knowing tire facts. I was right there too before I baught my Z.

As for your tires it depends on what stock rims you have. The 2004, 17" rims they take 225/50 in front and 235/50 in the rear. The 2005+ , 18" rims use 225 front and 245 rear.

I would suggest not buying tires from the dealership...they will get you to buy the $300 average priced potenzas most likey. You can get a local shop to order good quality tires for around $130 a piece.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:13 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I don't know what you gauge as "serious", but it was enough for me to be concerned about it to the point where I was constantly checking my tire pressure and power steering to see if something is wrong. I'll be honest, I didn't look at the tire sizes immediately. But let's be realistic.. how many of you would consider the possibility that a Nissan dealership would do this?! It never crossed my mind to check..
I had a serious problem with TCS after new tire purchase. I checked it out. The tire shop checked it out. Nissan looked it over. Two days later we figured out that the rear axle had one 225 and one 235 tires.

To ignore the obvious is a common mistake.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:14 AM
jtabraham

Having a 225 tire on the rear will not put you in any danger…the same way running on a spare will not put you in any danger. It will certainly not work well with your TCS or VDC, but it’s not going to hurt you or the car. To be honest, this is a problem you could fix in your driveway with your factory jack and about 3 minutes.

It’s concerning that you are trying to find ways to “milk this for all it’s worth” especially since it’s obviously not an intentional mistake. If you are incapable of rotating the tires back to the proper position, then take it back to the dealer and have them do it (they will do it for free); looking for ways to milk money or services out of them though seems a bit ridiculous.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:40 PM
OldDirty Z33

^ why not? They steel your money like its candy and they don't care about you... I would milk the crap out of it and get a free alignment, rotate them back, get the labor money back or credit.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:54 PM
ladyzed

Now you can beat the RSX-S!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:28 PM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jtabraham
Having a 225 tire on the rear will not put you in any danger…the same way running on a spare will not put you in any danger. It will certainly not work well with your TCS or VDC, but it’s not going to hurt you or the car. To be honest, this is a problem you could fix in your driveway with your factory jack and about 3 minutes.

It’s concerning that you are trying to find ways to “milk this for all it’s worth” especially since it’s obviously not an intentional mistake. If you are incapable of rotating the tires back to the proper position, then take it back to the dealer and have them do it (they will do it for free); looking for ways to milk money or services out of them though seems a bit ridiculous.
Eh I dunno. In order to do this you really need two jacks (one for each jacking point) to get both wheels off the ground so you can swap front to back and back to front. I know I do not personally own 2 scissor jacks. Not to mention in reality it takes a little more than 3 minutes. Realistically, you're probably looking at 30 minutes + to get both sides done, considering that the average person will be removing lug nuts using a tire iron or some other hand wrench (i.e. not a pneumatic impact wrench), and should also be taking the time/care to use a torque wrench to get the lugs seated to the correct spec. Another point, what if the OP does not own a torque wrench?

In my opinion, it was the dealership's negligence that led to this situation, and therefore they should correct the problem. As far as getting money back or whatever, I think I would be more inclined to ask for 5 free oil changes or something like that, assuming you have plans of going back to this place. I think it will be difficult for them to give you a credit since the invoice for the original (crappy) service has already been processed and paid.